RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver SuperDork
6/18/12 10:34 p.m.

Wife and I are on vacation, in Tennessee. We're staying in a time-share condo, at "The Summit of Gatlinburg". The road to it is a friggin' goat trail! Sure, it's not 11 miles long or have 318 curves, but, damn! it was a first gear climb all the way.

Video tomorrow.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/18/12 10:51 p.m.

We were just there. Think that ones great go about 2 miles West of Pigeon Forge on Wears gap road (73) take walden's creek road west about half a mile to goose gap road. Go north about 3/4 of a mile and when goose gap turns right take a slight left/continue north on bluff mountain road. Try not to wreck from all the awesomness. IT dead ends in two ~1 mile circle drives explore both for some of the best views of the foothills possible and see some of the best little cottages on earth (talking back decks that end in 1500 foot cliffs good). Also go to the end of Tower road and climb the US forestry service fire tower for bonus awesomeness. You'll feel like your on top of the world.

If you have an Delorme Atlas and Gazetter it's marked as a Firetower. It's and amazing detour.

failboat
failboat Dork
6/19/12 6:56 a.m.

Tail of the dragon is only one of a couple hundred awesome roads in the area

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/19/12 2:29 p.m.

Cherohala Skyway is the biz-ness. I like it better than Tail Of The Dragon.

Cherohala link.

skierd
skierd Dork
6/19/12 8:02 p.m.

One of the best things about the dragon is it keeps all the squids and fashion riders in one place, leaving the rest of the roads comparatively wide open.

Flight Service
Flight Service SuperDork
6/19/12 8:36 p.m.

There are many roads around here that are cool like that.

Just look for the squiggly line with no names

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver SuperDork
6/20/12 6:47 a.m.

Shaky, but you get the point.

Gatlinburg is circled in yellow. We came in from the north on the Parkway Bypass, in orange. Video is on the blue line.

bengro
bengro New Reader
6/20/12 6:07 p.m.

Yeah, I was on that road behind a diesel pusher rv towing a full size pickup and minivans full of people that STOPPED in the middle of the road to take in the views. They did not pull off. They stopped in the middle of the road.

This was over Memorial day. My bad. The cherohala skyway was super rad though.

Flight Service
Flight Service SuperDork
6/20/12 8:14 p.m.

Highway 32 off of I-40 (Last exist in TN before you get to NC) over to Cosby then on to Gatlinburg, over through the smokies to the dragon and then back out again.

...a 3 hour tour

Mind your run off zone.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt SuperDork
6/21/12 1:20 p.m.

Noncones - that is weird, I was just in the Wears Valley area for a family reunion at about the same time. Didn't check out Walden's Creek Road, though - probably wouldn't have been worth it driving the wife's Camry.

Caleb
Caleb New Reader
6/21/12 1:34 p.m.

The Dragon is the most famous road in the area but far from the best, we had a blast just driving around and exploring last time we where in the area

Flight Service
Flight Service SuperDork
6/22/12 10:02 p.m.

331 out of micaville nc is cool

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ji10YPec3SqqR2u2VmX1G55PIai3NPOQiGo3xmYdRh3kNXgdXwvrPohrkRESm8fi