914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/7/12 6:43 a.m.

Mrs. 914 fell in love with my friend's K1200 LT and as I am 18 or so months from retiring, why not see the country comfortably?

You guys have any experience or opinions on the big LT?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4U_m72m8Jw

44Dwarf
44Dwarf SuperDork
6/7/12 7:13 a.m.

Dan. I have a friend, a single divorced father of two who sold his RT who been bugging me to find him another one. What do you think you'll need for it? I'll pass on the info to him you know how to get a hold onf me.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/7/12 7:54 a.m.

No idea Tony. I saw a pristine example with 68,000 miles for $8k (that's silly); mine is not pristine and has 34,000 miles. I was thinking $5k.

I don't have a photo, but it comes with a GIVI trunk box.

Dan

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/7/12 9:02 a.m.

My trusted BMW mechanic in the UK spoke very highly of the K1200 LT as a long distance tourer. Based on his recommendation I nearly bought one but ended up with the (narrower) R1150RT. The latter was simply because lane splitting is both legal and a necessity over there and that's easier on the RT.

His main negative comment/gripe about the LT is the amount of plastic you have to remove before you can do anything to the bike but other than that it received a solid thumbs up.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf SuperDork
6/7/12 9:51 a.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: His main negative comment/gripe about the LT is the amount of plastic you have to remove before you can do anything to the bike but other than that it received a solid thumbs up.

That seems to be on most bike now...Try doing anything on my Ducati......

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/7/12 10:00 a.m.

There's a lot of plastid on the RT, that's why they charge $130 to tweek the carbs. All that time involved in removing the panels.

Dan

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/7/12 10:10 a.m.

Given that we were talking about an 1150RT compared to a 1200LT, I think there is a lot more plastic in the way. He mentioned something about all the additional plastic basically adding around 50% to the cost of a comparable service over an oilhead.

Either way that wouldn't necessarily put me off but I needed to get my RT serviced pretty much every 6-8 weeks in the UK and that would have made a massive difference at that point.

skierd
skierd Dork
6/7/12 2:26 p.m.

I've never ridden one, but I've ridden in groups with them, and they're simply ridiculous bikes especially the new ones. I'd probably be more interested in a K bike over an R bike, water cooling for sitting in traffic, more power, more doodads, and a long history of being named bike of the year.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/7/12 5:37 p.m.

That's why you need more than one bike.

minimac
minimac SuperDork
6/8/12 7:14 a.m.

The K1200LT looks awful Goldwingish......just sayin Low mile 1500 and 1800 are out there, if you're looking.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/14/12 7:44 a.m.

No opinion on the LT, but I do have one on the RT. SCHWING!

minimac
minimac SuperDork
6/14/12 7:32 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: No opinion on the LT, but I do have one on the RT. SCHWING!

They are very nice looking/ riding/running machines, but not without a few well documented issues. (like everything else)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mfPc5pinwo9k3ST9otmhVAuwhI3037R6YqSpVHCAWboJL7T22w5l75znyNNAkDcE