gunner (Forum Supporter)
gunner (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/4/20 7:16 p.m.

I went to the local bike dealership on Wednesday and I brought my checkbook.  I sat on several bikes and liked them all but tomorrow I'm test driving the three I liked the best and taking my favorite home. 

1. A new 2019 Triumph Bonneville t100

2. A new 2019 Triumph Street Triple R

3. A 2013 Suzuki V-strom 650 with luggage.

Im super excited, all my gear came in so I can be somewhat comfortable while riding around in 40 degree weather. I'm in love with the Street Triple but it may be beyond my current level since I was last on a bike in 1996. The Bonneville was the most comfortable to sit on, but I'm holding my judgement till I ride each of them.

wawazat
wawazat Dork
12/4/20 9:48 p.m.

Cool!

Have fun, stay warm, and report back with your thoughts and choice!

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
12/4/20 10:00 p.m.

I predict street triple rrr.

03Panther
03Panther Dork
12/4/20 10:10 p.m.

I've only ridden the t-100 out of that group, so I can't help with the other two. I had to do a good long test ride on the T-100... loved the bike, but after thinking about it during the 1/2 hr ride, I knew it be less than a few weeks before I was bored with it, and cutting on ot to make it custom. And I already had bikes in the middle of that. Ended ou the the used K75 for about half that price.

Still want a t-100, but it wont be a new one.

Excited to live vicariously through your new fun.

Thought: go for the triple if ya really want... it can be ridden carefully enough while you get your feel back... won't be long till its not at all beyond your abilities, if ya don't go at it like a "squid"

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
12/4/20 10:29 p.m.

Odd, you misspelled Aprilia RSV4.

03Panther
03Panther Dork
12/4/20 10:32 p.m.
ShawnG said:

Odd, you misspelled Aprilia RSV4.

yesyes

Awesome news! Have fun, and I can't wait to see what you pick. smiley

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/5/20 5:48 a.m.

Can't wait to see what you picked also. I got some seat time on a v-strom 659 and loved it

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
12/5/20 6:49 a.m.

The V-Strom is pretty vanilla compared to the Triumphs. I got bored with mine pretty quickly. It's a good bike though. May be a bit top heavy for a new rider (can't recall if you are one or are returning).

If you like the retro T-100 (I own one) check out the Royal Enfield INTerceptor before you write a check.

If you are considering a Strom then you should also try the Tiger 800. Pretty similar in concept but you get the Triumph triple engine. You can find them used for what it sounds like you are willing to spend.

gunner (Forum Supporter)
12/5/20 1:03 p.m.

Alright you guys are a trip. Lol. Nick Comstock called it. I bought the street triple R. I rode the Bonnie first and loved it. The triple was next and it sang to me and also made extremely clear what the Bonnie was missing.  Just wasn't for me. The vstrom was amazing and fit me best and had every accessory already, every one. If it didn't have 44000 miles on it I probably would have bought it. so here it is with the sweet vstrom in the background.  At 5700 bucks one of you needs that suzuki.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
12/5/20 3:49 p.m.

Lol yeah,  I rode a loaded wee strom a Thruxton and several other bikes before I rode my triple powered FJ-09. There's something about that triple character that leaves other bikes lacking.  For me it was an immediate yeah, this is the one sensation.  And like you the wee strom fit me like a glove and was super comfortable. But the moment I opened the throttle on that triple it was over. 

Congratulations! Very nice bike.  I'd love to try one someday. 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
12/5/20 4:18 p.m.

Congratulations! I found the thread too late to post my prediction, but before I saw what you bought I had guessed correctly!

Having owned an SV650, an SV1000, a Tiger 1050, and rode my best friend's STR a bunch of times (which spurred me to get the tiger) I knew which of the 3 you would take home. Be careful with the STR. It's like that childhood friend who isn't a bad kid, but they really like getting into mischief and you find yourself getting into trouble with them often devil

gunner (Forum Supporter)
12/5/20 4:33 p.m.

Thanks guys. I finally got it home and in the garage. What a ride! Now I'm super duper stoked for that track in Gravois Mills MO to open in may.

gunner (Forum Supporter)
3/23/21 6:29 p.m.

Just dropped the bike at the dealer today for its first service. 500 miles. They couldn't get me in for over a week so its closer to 700 miles. I rode it up by Ozark International Raceway intent on snapping a few photos but from the entrance there off local MO 135 was just gravel and heavy machinery operating and I didn't want to mess with all that. google maps still shows the old farm . still was a good ride. the bike has a setting that indicates when you get near the current break in rpm limit and I tested it out as 600 miles was the new setting to 7000 rpms, and it switched from 6000 to 7000 rpms just like it was supposed to, pretty neat. from 800 to 1000 miles is 8000 rpms then after that there is only the true limit, I don't see being over 1000 miles being an issue really soon.  The weather is perfect for riding now.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
3/25/21 12:11 p.m.

Sounds like you're enjoying the speedy! I'm curious to hear your impressions once you can really open it up devil

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
abqLeyHgRvvjUhRbjRNzrMTLy5wlMLaXMweeu30Ze5CXyai3phKksjIyvbcIGS1B