Mr. Lee
Mr. Lee GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/22/21 11:40 a.m.

I haven't been on a bike regularly in almost 22 years. I steal dads Wing occasionally and take it for a cruise, but after almost getting ran over in my early 20's (literally, rolled out of the way before getting ran over after the snowbird ran into me from behind) I pretty much quit riding. Then 2 weeks ago it hit me. I want to ride again. The bug has come back with a vengeance.

I've spent the last two weeks trolling CL and FB market place, perusing the oem websites, used and new.  I brought up the idea to SWMBO and her response was "as long as you're not riding in town during snowbird season. If that's what you want, go for it." My second job is my play fund, it's been buying subaru parts lately due to a blown motor in a bugeye, but it could easily support a new payment. I don't really want a new payment. I've researched it. I've resisted the urge to this point to attempt to finance something, but I can feel my resolve weakening. I'm preapproved through the bank, and a few dealer options, I just don't want to hit my credit with it. (long story, but I've busted my tail for the last 2 years to get it to where it's at, I don't like screwing with it). The other issue is the snowball of if I'm already financing xx.xx amount, it's just a bit more for this, and a bit more for this, then I'm staring at new Hyabusa's and going, damn that's cheaper than the X model... 

I've spent A LOT of time thinking about this. I enjoy dad's 'Wing but I don't have a ton of time to ride right now, so the cruiser is kind of out. I don't want another super sport, my old 900RR was a riot, but I'm not as into going fast as I used to be. I'm leaning towards a classic sport or dual sport/adventure bike. There are 4 wildlife management areas within 30 minutes of me, and a dedicated off road motorcycle/atv area.  I don't mind a small project, but a total redo of the house has 90% of my free time and the subaru is currently taking the rest of my spare time. (I miss fishing) 

So does anyone have a bike they want to let go of and save me from myself?

Currently staring down..

New G 310 GS - pro' small, cheapish. Con - thumper

used Goldwing (still not sure I want it, but I could pawn it off on dad. devil) pro - good for cruising and riding a sofa Con - BIG

Used 2017 F 800 GS a local dealer has for sub 10k. Pro more power than the 310, twin vs thumper. Con - bigger loan than the other.

All of them would require a payment and insurance, though the insurance is sub $300 a year with a $50 deductible on all of them. 

Then there is the odd ball CSC RX4.  5k,  2 year unlimited mile warranty. ships to you in a box and you get to put it together....  again, a single

Edit - everything I've found on CL and FB have been crackheaded "I know what I got" or wanting stupid money

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/22/21 4:09 p.m.

Not to be a Debbie Downer but you pay more for bikes in the spring. Upwards of 20-30% more than if you can stand it and wait till fall. It stinks to miss another riding season. But its Florida. Expand your search to major metropolises, like Miami or Atlanta. That's your best bet.

Mr. Lee
3/22/21 4:29 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

I'm aware, and with the gub throwing money at everyone, the prices have been jacked up accordingly. I actually found a FJ1300AE with shifter issues for double what I have on hand (hidden in a drawer to keep on hand for a rainy day) I just don't want to get into the bank account just yet.

FMB42
FMB42 Reader
3/22/21 4:41 p.m.

"but a total redo of the house has 90% of my free time and the subaru is currently taking the rest of my spare time"

I'd finish the house redo before you take on any further time heavy projects. I'd also keep the rainy fund for just that. As for the Subaru... good luck.

Slippery (Forum Supporter)
Slippery (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/22/21 4:53 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Not to be a Debbie Downer but you pay more for bikes in the spring. Upwards of 20-30% more than if you can stand it and wait till fall. It stinks to miss another riding season. But its Florida. Expand your search to major metropolises, like Miami or Atlanta. That's your best bet.

Not sure it works like that in Florida. Spring means rainy season is coming ... fall and winter are good weather riding here. At least for me. 

Right now prices are nuts due to Covid. I just traded in a bike Friday and the dealer was very happy to give me more than I was going to list it for. They only had 3 used bikes!

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
3/22/21 8:06 p.m.

Current times have prices jacked up, so I can’t predict anything right now. 

In the past I’ve always seen a lot more ads come out with high asking prices in the spring; people think they’ll get more. But asking price ain’t selling price, and I’ve found better deals in the spring, sometimes. Just gotta look a lot. 

Other than that tidbit, I’m no help! 

dyintorace (Forum Supporter)
dyintorace (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/22/21 8:19 p.m.

I've been thinking about a beater Subie...

gunner (Forum Supporter)
gunner (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/22/21 9:19 p.m.

How about a new KLR 650? fuel injected and still tough as nails. You mentioned off road then skipped any dual sports in your dream bikes. classic sports? how about 2009 and up bonnevilles? I can still find used ones here locally for 5 grand and under and they are fuel injected. Florida may not be that generous though. Got any Royal Enfield dealers locally? new 2021's are superior bikes in every way to their old bikes and all are under 6 grand new. Just some food for thought.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
3/23/21 6:22 a.m.

Royal Enfield Himalayan can be had for near CSC money and won't be made of Chinesium.

No reason to go into debt for a bike. There are all sorts of used machines available for cash money purchase prices. Yes, they are a bit higher these days. Since your bike list is all over the map it seems like you don't really know what you want. Another reason to buy used and give something a try for a year.

The cost of a BMW only begins after the purchase price.

Not all thumpers are horrible, though I'm not eager to go back there either. A really good all-round bike is a Honda CB500X. Or a Versys 650. Or the little Ninja powered Versys 300X. Nice do-everything adventure style bikes without the high weight of the big beasts.

Mr. Lee
3/23/21 11:27 a.m.

You're right, it's all over the place. The goal is really just to try and get back on two wheels. I've ridden super sports, cut my teeth on big cruisers, played with friends dirt bikes, though I wouldn't say I was good at it or a pro. I just really want to get back up on 2. 

I hadn't looked at the KLR, I've recitified that.  I've got an appointment on Saturday to go check out a himalayan.  Didn't realize there was a RE dealer 30 min from me.  

I'm anxious, but I'm also a cheap SOB so while the loan route is tempting, the longer I wait, the bigger the budget gets.  I've got no delusions of riding around town, we're back living in the same town I almost got ran over in years ago. The old folks haven't gotten any better at driving. Worse the natives are tired of dealing with them so they do whatever they feel like. this is strictly backroad cruising, playing off road would be a new adventure. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/23/21 12:55 p.m.

How far would you be willing to travel to get one? The dorks here are amazing at finding stuff.

BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/23/21 1:12 p.m.

If you're already going to the RE dealer, check out their 650 twins. I've heard lots of good things about them and they're a lot of bike for the money.

Mr. Lee
3/23/21 4:57 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

LOL I've driven 20 hours straight for a dog. (round trip) I generally only get one day off at a time, but if need be I can take a Sunday off. So call it 10 hours from central FL one way. Anything more would take planning and coordinating. My job has recently enacted a pretty draconian missed time policy due to the previous fairly lax policy being seriously abused last year.

In reply to BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) :

Will do

Mr. Lee
3/25/21 3:53 p.m.

That was short lived. FINALLY got our "rescue" that was dumped on us at the start of covid last year to the vet yesterday. $800 vet bill later, we're on food that is $90 a case, and we're staring at a $2k+ surgery bill if the food doesn't shrink the stone that's blocking her up.  2 choices, CC or I can start over on my "fun fund".  Not going back down the CC road, so...

Yeah.. That's a bladder stone that she passed, and it got stuck and has grown. no telling how long she's been dealing with it

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/25/21 4:21 p.m.

In reply to Mr. Lee :

Do not ride that bike. It looks unsafe and in need of maintenance. 

I'm sure the bike will appreciate you making the responsible decision.  laugh

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AaPcj7hSJAMx7ZDmlEqD7hM65WAYZSTxTEjUg44gBB2R45wCeUGlb4C2Qt1cLWDU