cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
1/4/19 6:49 p.m.

My company now has multiple buildings, and I find myself spending a lot of time walking. So, I consulted my friendly local CL, which turned up this little guy:

It's too small for me and in pretty rough shape, but for $20, I figured I could make it work.

It seems to be a hodgepodge of parts, but from what I can find online, these were pretty high quality bikes back in the day. I'll probably convert it to single speed, since I don't really see myself using the lever style front derailleur and the rear is not the original (pretty sure, since it's marked Schwinn). It has nice lugs and tubing anyway.

Now I'm trying to figure out if I can cram it in my Miata with the hardtop on if I take the wheels off...

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/4/19 6:55 p.m.

In reply to cmcgregor :

At a glance the lugs & construction remind me of a 1970’s Raleigh & believe the built bikes that were rebranded for other companies too.

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
1/8/19 9:20 p.m.

Rust external  and  possible internal 

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
1/8/19 10:35 p.m.

In reply to Alfaromeoguy :

Lol. Oh really? I hadn't noticed. 

porschenut
porschenut Reader
1/10/19 1:09 p.m.

70s british frame maker. Mid level, nothing special. They were all lugged, brazed frames back then. 

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
1/25/19 7:01 p.m.
cmcgregor said:

In reply to Alfaromeoguy :

Lol. Oh really? I hadn't noticed. 

Check out the gcn  show  website. Look for:" challenges" bike race, no chain, another  challenge  that looks like they stole it from top gear, way to funny, I think it is  a  100 pound  ( as in money " challenge.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
2/15/19 11:36 a.m.

All of the bearings were completely dry, so I pulled everything apart, added some grease, spent $20 on a new chain and some replacement grips, and now for a total of $40 I have something that will be more than sufficient to get me the ~mile between buildings. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rnuoYl7oozGvA5EjXyYTvmLPW0APOvOQFyVhxDDsQreyjCz8mx4yP2Y0VdC6xQLo