Armitage
Armitage Reader
8/19/10 9:29 a.m.

Okay, so the time has come to sell my first bike. I bought this over 15 years ago when I was making $4.50/hr working on a farm. It's been sitting in my parents' barn up in Maine since then. I only get to start it up maybe once a year. Fired it up last weekend and it still runs great, but it's starting to develop some surface rust and I'd rather see a new owner enjoy it than watching it slowly deteriorate.

1983 Honda XL250R <1,900 original miles Original everything (even tires) Basic maintenance up-to-date (cleaned/oiled air filter, new plug, oil change, lubed chain, etc.) Surface rust on some metal despite being always stored indoors Dent in tank from P.O. Aftermarket clutch lever (friend broke the original one) 1" tear on seat

I don't see any comparable completed eBay listings for price comparison. I see a couple overly optimistic unsold auctions.

Anyone have a recommendation on the best way to sell it and what I should be asking? I'm very not local so I'd have to broker the sale and have the bike picked up.

Thanks!

PHeller
PHeller Dork
8/19/10 9:50 a.m.

$800-$1300

I'd probably start at $1300 and take offers.

Reason being? I could go out and buy a beat up XL250 for a few hundred bucks. I could also buy many many more powerful dual sports for the same price. So it's not worth a whole lot in terms of performance or condition.

However, its worth a fair amount to someone who wants a good condition XL250 that doesn't require much work.

Not an overly rare bike nor an overly high performance bike that was ahead of its time.

By comparison, I bought a 99' Yamaha XT225 for $1000 with 8,000 miles and sold it for $1400.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf HalfDork
8/19/10 10:28 a.m.

Got a title? If not can you reg it in maine and give me the reg when if I pick it up?

Armitage
Armitage Reader
8/19/10 2:28 p.m.

I don't believe I have a title, just a bill of sale from the PO circa 1993. The bike has never been registered for the street as far as I know. According to Maine DMV, a title is not necessary for a motorcycle 15 years or older. Not sure how that applies to out-of-state registrations though.

http://www.maine.gov/sos/bmv/registration/mcreg.htm#mcprivate

44Dwarf
44Dwarf HalfDork
8/20/10 6:52 a.m.

There right so in order to get a mass title for it all you have to do is go to the town hall and reg it in maine and give the signed over reg and bill of sale to the new owner then mass will ishue a title to the new owner. So how cheap can i pick it up? Where in Maine? I got a brother in south Berwick.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/20/10 7:53 a.m.

You have mail.

Armitage
Armitage Reader
8/20/10 11:08 a.m.

Hi 44,

Unfortunately, in order to register it according to the Maine DMV site, I'd need to pay excise tax, have proof that the bike is insured, pay 5% sales tax, title application fee, registration fees, and not live 600 miles away in Virginia :(

So basically, sorry I'm trying to coordinate this sale from a distance as-is. The best I can do is provide a signed bill-of-sale.

Thanks!

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/20/10 1:08 p.m.

For reference:

http://www.motorcycle.com/classifieds/honda/1983-honda-xl250-MC1018900502B.html

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
54ONKBIm6XtLZ8Paz06tVHPsSNSmJFc81sedqj4IZHDX4o4H8Zh9xci6suF9Axjf