RichardNZ
RichardNZ Reader
7/7/21 12:38 a.m.

As per the title - as if we Trials Riders weren't odd enough (!!) some like to be even more extreme. Semi common in the UK and I believe the Aussies have a few but ours generally only turn out en masse once a year in NZ.

More pics if you're interested on Flickr - search for 'NZPETERB' and these came from the Kaikoura 2021 album. There are three pics of me with the right number of wheels in there somewhere smiley

Dieselboss15
Dieselboss15 Reader
7/9/21 12:23 p.m.

In reply to RichardNZ :

Wow, that looks like a great way to send you both to the hospital! laugh

I used to ride bicycle trials & always thought the moto riders were crazy, but this is nuts!

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/9/21 7:44 p.m.

Seems like something I'd be really excited to watch on red bull TV at like 1:30am.

RichardNZ
RichardNZ Reader
7/12/21 3:22 a.m.
thatsnowinnebago said:

Seems like something I'd be really excited to watch on red bull TV at like 1:30am.

I tend to agree with you, haven't even looked on YooToob or Fakebook to see if there are any videos.

I posted these for curiosity value because a) they are amusing to watch, especially if you know the combatants (which I do) and b) something a bit different that I thought fitted the GRM ethos - the 'chairs are home made and pretty much no two are identical and they are a niche in a sport that is very much NOT mainstream in most parts of the world.

RichardNZ
RichardNZ Reader
7/12/21 3:33 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

With the exception of the top guys we're not really nuts ...

The great thing, and I guess it's the same with bicycle trials, is you can select the degree of difficulty,  idiocy, physicality or risk that suits.  I have ridden on a 'chair (both as driver and swinger) but not in competition - no way Jose to that one, thought I was going to die of a heart attack I was laughing so hard! The guys pictured were riding the "easiest" of the lines that had been set out - I would normally ride the next grade higher but not for 3 days in a row ...  I may be about to turn 70 but I'm still managing a couple of events a month although my competitive days (assuming they ever actually existed) are over and I just want to have some fun.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/12/21 8:55 a.m.

I've ridden, or driven or piloted or whatever it's called when you operate the controls of a side car rig a few times.  I always found the experience somewhat frustrating and never really enjoyable.  How does adding a wheel manage to make something less stable?   The idea of taking one through a trial course is nuts.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
7/12/21 9:53 a.m.

I have watched these guys in person. They were the kids that were dropped on their heads when born and enjoyed the experience.

RichardNZ
RichardNZ Reader
7/12/21 6:50 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

We make jokes about them having removable brains that they leave in the car before the event.

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/12/21 7:00 p.m.

As someone who has some serious hack time and some trials time, I'm quite impressed. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
A9TXBnGPL0uUeoN5enoHJqbIrkFWPA6bZQ0iuhN6rfN0kmm6KlQ0pgi8ko9LzTQr