Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
2/28/21 11:10 a.m.

Pretty self explanatory.  What are places you guys recommend for bicycle parts?  I just ordered a seat and some handlebars from State Bicycle Company but they didn't seem to have a huge selection.

I'm looking to upgrade my Schwinn Kedzie.  I went with one of their All-Road Saddles and a set of Bullhorn Bars.

obsolete
obsolete GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/28/21 11:38 a.m.

I bought a lot of stuff from https://www.modernbike.com/ last year and have been happy with the prices and selection. They're not too far from me (next state over) so shipping was very fast too.

FMB42
FMB42 New Reader
2/28/21 12:14 p.m.

I've had good service at reasonable prices from Jenson USA, Nashbar, BikeBandit, Bicycle Parts Direct, and Bicycledesigner. This was some years ago tho...

bigeyedfish
bigeyedfish Reader
3/1/21 11:59 a.m.

Unless I know exactly what I want, I buy cheap stuff from ebay and amazon.  Once I've got the fit where I want it, I'll buy a nicer component in the same size.

I typically buy the nicer components used on ebay.

golfduke
golfduke Dork
3/1/21 12:02 p.m.

jenson USA is my first stop, but I've been buying a ton from Chain Reaction Cycles and Level 9 Sports lately.... better selection and cheaper pricing that Jenson lately...  All 3 are reputable and timely. 

nilajulian
nilajulian
3/5/21 1:11 a.m.

Buy local if u can, bike shops are important!

golfduke
golfduke Dork
3/5/21 9:21 a.m.
nilajulian said:

I generally agree, especially if it's a wear-part... but the combination of so many different drivetrain configurations and bike shops running so lean nowadays that their part availability is pretty junky.  I used to work in a bike shop growing up, and am riding buddies with the owners still, and even they'll tell you to buy the bike and have it serviced there, but for ancillary parts... online is the place to go.  Not their wheelhouse. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
3/5/21 10:42 a.m.
nilajulian said:

I agree.  It seems like people immediately want to order stuff, when they may be able to go down the street and buy it directly.

Brotus7
Brotus7 Dork
3/5/21 6:50 p.m.

Lately I've been buying off chain reaction. Oddly, shipping is cheaper and it shows up faster, despite having to cross an ocean first.

GhiaMonster
GhiaMonster Reader
3/5/21 7:10 p.m.

I spent a bunch of money with Jensen USA this year building up a bike. They have a pretty well laid out website which helps when trying to figure out what fits what.  REI and Tree Fort Bikes also got some of my dollars. Amazon sucks pretty hard for a lot of parts. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/5/21 8:04 p.m.

Chain Reaction was my go-to for years until Shimano nixed them shipping to the US.  Now it varies... Amazon, Facebook Marketplace, etc...  for better or worse, most of the parts I'm shopping for is at the higher end of the market. And sometimes what I'm looking for is so hard to find I end up having my LBS find it for me. I tend to buy parts when I find good deals, whether I actually need the parts right away or not.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IoEy7432QVtyy4DLkGZ5ZfMXZtq0OLta2F4Y1zylTgzZgoGtvnneyVMAN1q3r9PG