wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
4/4/22 11:12 p.m.

So I setup a wr250x crawler to look for one for a friend. Cheapish one for a wr250x popped up last night on offer up. He did not want it but I was interested.  Called and was surprised by a very nice women who used it as a track bike and could not longer ride. Drove up and well now I own this.  

bought it in the dark at almost midnight without a test ride or even a serious look at it. gal selling it was just honest about it and said it was modified and ready to go. 

about that. 

mods I have found so far

already had the air pump delete, the smog delete, upgraded front suspension spring for someone almost my weight, freshish 13h tires, no stickers, no damage to the plastics , the fnf exhaust 02 sensor defeat, tune, serious bash plate. Some safety wiring work, acerbis handguards. Quick turn throttle. Upgraded front brake calipers with wave rotors, full race pads that have minimal wear. A plus one tooth front sprocket. Newish chain  

edit  found out it had a larger ims 3 gallon gas tank as well.  

Also and a full set of wr250x 18/21 wheels with brand new knobbies with rotors and sprockets. 

so yeah apparently now I have a Supermoto to take to the track. Put about 30 miles on it after checking it completely over and setting the suspension up for my weight and this thing is fun. Like rev it to the moon like it's a R1 and drag a knee and do it just above the speed limit. 

So plan is to wrap it, upgrade the grips find a better rear spring for my weight and hoon around. Full insurance including theft and collision was 78$ a year  

Woohoo! As Professor Brap is fond of saying, "Supermoto is the best moto!"

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
4/7/22 6:26 p.m.

Got about 70 miles on it. So yeah it needs more torque, it has a one up sprocket on the front and I am going to go one down. On the plus side it will do 82mph with 200lbs of me on the back at full tuck on the freeway on level ground. 

So next is to pull the bodywork off and wrap it in something garish, find the insert for the pipe to keep the noise down and then make/buy some crash bars and buy spools and just go nuts. I wish I had another set of street wheels where I could put something like a TKC80 or a little less agressive on them and keep the sportbike tires for the track only. Have not ridden it on the knobbies that I have may be better to just get a streets 21/18 combo on those and live with the limits offroad. 

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
4/12/22 5:42 p.m.

Fantastic!

planning on taking it to any tracks?   Are there still races in SoCal??

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
4/12/22 6:08 p.m.

So plan is to take it to Apex to do most of the shakedown and then run a few days at Chuckwalla. Eventually I would like to get it up north to things like street of willow but I want it 100% dead reliable before I do that. 

Tires are hard to come by right now which is my big concern, I cannot get slicks at least through my normal channels, specifically the rear tire. 

Other then that, got the manual chain tensioner installed, got some better hoses and ordered some new race vinyl for the plastics. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
4/16/22 4:25 p.m.

So tires are ordered. Rosso III's. Front and rear. Running a 13/44 gearing now which is so much better. 

Found a decent set of stickers 32ml thick and has the UV clear top for 130$. Safely wire will be here around the same time. Need to bash the brush guards back into shape as they are a bit tight from a crash and I think we can take it out. 

ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) said:

You are 100% correct. 

Note: have the suspension done by a good shop and prepared to be amazed. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
4/17/22 12:21 a.m.
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) said:
ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) said:

You are 100% correct. 

Note: have the suspension done by a good shop and prepared to be amazed. 

Long term that is the plan. Supersoft has been mentioned as well as a few others. The rear amazingly seems fine with the harder spring the bike came with. The front is bad. Like I am 2 clicks out on compression and rebound and it feels like crap. I have settled on 4/4 for the front and 5/5 on the rear and put the spring at I think 8.1 inches which is what was recommended for my weight. 

So short answer it will be addressed, long answer I want to have fun with it as it sits and don't want to do anything drastic until I can take advantage of the modes.

I have at least 200 miles on it now just on the street confirming that it is reliable enough to take to Apex in a few weeks. I have been riding around on the dirt and gravel alleys around here and its a ton of fun, on the street the suspension is better then I can push on the tires on it now. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
4/17/22 6:41 a.m.

I approve. 250s feel about normal on kart tracks, you can actually use the motor. 450s feel like you're just trying to manage potential death the whole time. Or my skill level is low. Could go either way. Have fun! 

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

I can vouch a 450 feels like death on a kart track. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
4/25/22 8:48 p.m.

Tires did not show up but the super sketchy stickers did. 100$ and all 3m and 31ml thickness. 

they came from china in six days after they got dropped on the mail. The dude packaged them better then I could have imagined and they fit really well. 

may least it's a little more interesting to look at and when I drop it it will save the plastics. 

agelababypo
agelababypo
4/25/22 9:54 p.m.

which looked good on a black bike. 1v1 battle

gencollon
gencollon New Reader
5/4/22 10:17 p.m.

Bike looks real good!

Let me know how you like it on track. I had a WRR for years that I loved dual-sporting... But I thought it didn't have enough motor to have fun with on a canyon road (especially uphill). I never got SM wheels and tires to take it to a track, but I kinda figured the canyon experience wouldn't be very dissimilar.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
5/5/22 11:18 p.m.
gencollon said:

Bike looks real good!

Let me know how you like it on track. I had a WRR for years that I loved dual-sporting... But I thought it didn't have enough motor to have fun with on a canyon road (especially uphill). I never got SM wheels and tires to take it to a track, but I kinda figured the canyon experience wouldn't be very dissimilar.

Power seems to be irrelevant on this in the canyons. I can dive bomb things that most super sports would never be able to do it. Cannot keep up with them on the freeway but trade offs.  

Hot take this is the best bike / dollar I own. If I had started on one I am not sure I would have ever gone back to Harley. Such is the luxury of multiple motorcycles  

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/6/22 11:19 a.m.

I like that sticker set. Sumos deserve loud graphics 

relica
relica New Reader
12/6/22 4:44 a.m.

Well this car looks cool.

paper minecraft

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XXdmG9tIog4JiuZWBuWQpM4n90EKV63q3tQ4TsVwx9OGv4MD4OBdvXTLPq3R2Rm6