The_Jed
The_Jed SuperDork
3/10/14 5:17 p.m.

I just got back from the gym with my son and the wife and daughter roll up in afore mentioned Durango. The wife says she'd gladly give up the Burban (2wd winter sucks) for the 'Rango (AWD/4WD).

What say ye?

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit Dork
3/10/14 5:39 p.m.

Overall not a bad truck, but they do have issues like all cars and trucks.

Front wheel bearings can be pricey. Not that involved of a job but rust can really hold the bearing in place.

U-joints are good for about 100K miles after that you might want to replace them, not hard just takes time.

Transmission is the BIS $$$ weak link, check for leaks and delayed engagements two issues that will lead to failure. Not easy to remove either.

I have seen a few valve springs fail causing a missfire, this can be fixed on the car.

Other than the four listed just watch out for leaks and normal stuff with any used car.

Paul B

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
3/10/14 6:25 p.m.

Smaller then a burban. Same mpgs as a burban. Weighs as much as a burban. And it's a Dodge.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
3/10/14 6:34 p.m.

That vintage had the valve spring stuff mentioned and also if it has a sunroof the drain tubes will dump water in the fuse block. Yeah. The Hemis are thirsty but stay together pretty well, the 3.7 is worthless, the 4.7's will suddenly develop an appetite for oil. Transmissions are hit or miss, it either requires constant fiddling or will never miss a beat. The transfer case shift motor on the 4wd will seize, easy to replace but the part is around $250.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
3/10/14 7:46 p.m.

Anything after '03 and before '11 I'd stay away from.

beans
beans Dork
3/10/14 7:54 p.m.

Everyone dogs the 4.7. I love that engine. Properly maintained, they last FOREVER and are more than strong enough for daily duties. The biggest contributor to 4.7 oil consumption is not doing oil changes, a bad PCV valve, or some clogged breather line.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/10/14 8:16 p.m.

The 4.7 doesn't run forever. It just seems that way because it's so slow.

Morbid
Morbid Reader
3/10/14 8:24 p.m.

While driving it, we noticed a CEL, so had the code pulled and it was a transmission control module issue. With my propensity for blowing up slushboxes, we decided it was better to keep looking.

We have an '06 Murano overnight, and so far, we both like it.

The_Jed
The_Jed SuperDork
3/10/14 8:58 p.m.
Ranger50 wrote: Smaller then a burban. Same mpgs as a burban. Weighs as much as a burban. And it's a Dodge.

You don't say much friend, but when you do, it's to the point and I salute you for it!

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/10/14 8:58 p.m.

If the murono is a consideration how about Pontiac Vibe? Not a ton smaller can still tow something hilariously superior mpg.

If you need stronger towing the V6 Rav4 3500lb, or a Subaru outback 2700-3200lbs, or ford escape/Mazda tribute 3500lbs are also good ones. The murono is fairly thirsty and I would imagine has higher cost of ownership than what I listed.

Morbid
Morbid Reader
3/10/14 9:06 p.m.

Outbacks are nearly impossible to find used and within the budget around here, otherwise that would be the choice, hands down.

Pontiac Vibe, no, just no. Same with the Rav4, it's just too small. We regularly haul 2 kids, 2 adults, 2 cellos, a large gym duffel and a large lunchbox, so cargo space is important.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/10/14 9:10 p.m.

Outback but not Outback? Volvo XC70!

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
3/10/14 9:18 p.m.

Dumb thought, but what about a 4WD Tahoe of the same era? They're fairly cheap now and they would have the room you guys would need.

I had a rental Murano for a week and while my wife and I thought it was great, the mileage and interior room wasn't any better than my Cherokee.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/10/14 9:57 p.m.

I said if the murono works with 32 cubic ft cargo and 110 (32/110) passenger the vibe may at 20/96. It sounds like you need a bit more space.

Your definitely right about the rav 4. At 36/108 cargo/interior it is much to small to consider compared to the murono.

Knurled
3/10/14 11:27 p.m.
Morbid wrote: Pontiac Vibe, no, just no. Same with the Rav4, it's just too small. We regularly haul 2 kids, 2 adults, 2 cellos, a large gym duffel and a large lunchbox, so cargo space is important.

Well, you WERE thinking about Durangos. If you told me that a Vibe had the same interior capacity as a Durango, I'd believe it. Them trucks are tiny inside.

edizzle89
edizzle89 New Reader
3/11/14 6:01 a.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: The Hemis are thirsty but stay together pretty well, the 3.7 is worthless, the 4.7's will suddenly develop an appetite for oil. Transmissions are hit or miss, it either requires constant fiddling or will never miss a beat. The transfer case shift motor on the 4wd will seize

this pretty much wraps up dodge in a nutshell

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/11/14 8:40 a.m.

I'd check out a RAV4 V6. The second room slides back and forth and has a ton of room in the rear-most position. With that, there's still good storage space out back, and the entire rear floor has a compartment underneath it where you can store stuff (spare tire is on the back door). The only reason I wouldn't recommend one is if you need to have three kids riding in the back seat, because two of the seat belts cross (dumb design).

Knurled
3/11/14 1:00 p.m.

Encoder motors seize on everything, so i wouldn't worry about it.

The number of Hemis that I see is very slim, but I keep seeing reports of them eating rockers/valve tips. Apparently they die from lack of lubrication if you idle around too much. Kinda like the 426 Hemis, actually. Anyway, car-part has warrantied Hemis for $2500-3000 and warrantied 5.3s for $1000 so take from that what you will.

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
3/11/14 1:18 p.m.
Knurled wrote: The number of Hemis that I see is very slim, but I keep seeing reports of them eating rockers/valve tips. Apparently they die from lack of lubrication if you idle around too much.

For a V8, the cam/lifter/rocker angle compared to the 90^ V is almost horizontal. Compound that with just enough oil pressure to lube everything......

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HXa5pIoNw7EeloaJYmktmxIMWGbcyxmgHrcTqO2BsiPHCzUkbRuxJO8J49cdxWIN