1 2
carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
8/16/17 1:21 p.m.

That's right, I said ONE THOUSAND MILES PER HOUR!!

So how do you design a car that is supposed to go 1,000 MPH?

"One of the most interesting factors within the design of the car is the cockpit screen for the driver to look out of. This screen is shaped in a fashion that produces a shockwave that pre-compresses the air entering the air intake, allowing for the maximum efficiency of the jet engine, increasing thrust by 10% at 1000mph. "

https://drivetribe.com/p/how-do-you-design-a-car-to-go-1000mph-WvJqDCmaSqWDK-0sq1DPzg?iid=WEYC2h-1S_Svi68oO0YQ0Q

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
8/16/17 4:08 p.m.

If I remember what I read correctly, there's a V-8 engine primarily for the fuel pump. There's been a few stories on this car in the past year. An amazing car.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/16/17 4:55 p.m.

130,000 hp worth of thrust.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
8/16/17 5:11 p.m.

The real perspective on this is not how do you get a car to go 1000 mph. It's how do you get a plane to stay on the ground at 1000 mph. Mach 1 is the biggest issue, after that I suspect it just a mater of thrust.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad PowerDork
8/16/17 5:29 p.m.

I know I'll catch crap for this but....

What a monumental waste of time, effort, and money! A 200 mph car has some tiny merit as lessons from that can be carried down line to every day cars. But a 1,000 mph car is just a plane without wings, and that's been done for 60+ years.

Start a race series for these ridiculous things and maybe..... but just to set a bigger record that will stand until some other super rich guy with a micro-hootus comes along and wants to own the record is stupid.

Will
Will UltraDork
8/16/17 5:48 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad:

travellering
travellering Reader
8/16/17 6:15 p.m.

To be fair, a 1000m.p.h. "plane without wings" has clearly not already been done for 60 years. The definition of a land speed record, or for that matter, any record, is that no-one has done it prior to the setting of that record. Trickle-down is a concept far more proven in technology than in economics. Anyone pushing an envelope of performance that far has to be helping scientific progress in ways that might not be obvious at first.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/16/17 6:49 p.m.

It is most certainly not an airplane without wings. Shockwave and resonance of an object, at that velocity, that close to the ground is uncharted territory.

Aircraft involved in speed records, even at low altitude, still have sufficient height in which interference from the ground is negligible.

If it were that simple, it would have been done 50-60 years ago.

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
8/16/17 6:55 p.m.

jmthunderbirdturbo
jmthunderbirdturbo HalfDork
8/16/17 7:14 p.m.
KyAllroad wrote: I know I'll catch crap for this but.... What a monumental waste of time, effort, and money! A 200 mph car has some tiny merit as lessons from that can be carried down line to every day cars. But a 1,000 mph car is just a plane without wings, and that's been done for 60+ years. Start a race series for these ridiculous things and maybe..... but just to set a bigger record that will stand until some other super rich guy with a micro-hootus comes along and wants to own the record is stupid.

I am actually in this camp, too, albeit for slightly different reasons. this is GRM, after all, and there is literally NOTHING 'GRM' about this. our collective nature of low budget hacks and racing on the cheap has conditioned me to practically resent anything remotely expensive to purchase, operate or repair. this ticks off all 3 of those boxes. to the point of Will and Roosevelt, i can see your point, but disagree fundamentally with its application here. this is not about 'not accepting mediocrity" or "living in a grey twilight", the people behind this are OBSCENELY wealthy, and it seems to me theres enough cash in this project to bring a 3rd world nation out of poverty, with enough left over to start a spec racing series, and finance a college class in racing...its just a waste, a needless, damn-near-zero benefit to anyone except the rich arse whos writing the checks, waste of epic proportions.

that said, ill watch the YouTube video when he does it (or blows up spectacularly, which ever...).

-J0N

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/16/17 7:23 p.m.

The definition of "GRM" does not include a dollar amount spent.

I am much more interested in how you stop that thing.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/16/17 7:33 p.m.

Are people volunteering to drive this thing the first time or is someone just going to wake up in the driver's seat?

jmthunderbirdturbo
jmthunderbirdturbo HalfDork
8/16/17 8:40 p.m.

In reply to dean1484: eh, it kinda does, at least to me. it certainly implies value returned versus money spent.

my opinion is just that, an opinion. but its coming from a guy who donates 10$ a month to food for the poor. this wingless plane thing could feed a lot of starving kids... my GRM style Ford Thunderbird could not.

-J0N

travellering
travellering Reader
8/16/17 9:16 p.m.

A great article on the men with micro-hooti involved in the project: Bloodhound SSC

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
8/16/17 9:39 p.m.

The technology is crazy, but i still enjoy watching land speed records done by things that look like cars. Interested in seeing if they manage to do it though!

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
8/16/17 10:47 p.m.

I like the fact that it takes things we'd have never thought about ourselves such as the need to shape the cockpit so that the air from there goes supersonic and helps feed the intake.

I'm betting there are applications there for us, although not at those speeds. There will be a lot of takeaways from this we'll see other people using at normal speeds.

former520
former520 HalfDork
8/16/17 10:56 p.m.
jmthunderbirdturbo wrote:
KyAllroad wrote: I know I'll catch crap for this but.... What a monumental waste of time, effort, and money! A 200 mph car has some tiny merit as lessons from that can be carried down line to every day cars. But a 1,000 mph car is just a plane without wings, and that's been done for 60+ years. Start a race series for these ridiculous things and maybe..... but just to set a bigger record that will stand until some other super rich guy with a micro-hootus comes along and wants to own the record is stupid.
I am actually in this camp, too, albeit for slightly different reasons. this is GRM, after all, and there is literally NOTHING 'GRM' about this. our collective nature of low budget hacks and racing on the cheap has conditioned me to practically resent anything remotely expensive to purchase, operate or repair. this ticks off all 3 of those boxes. to the point of Will and Roosevelt, i can see your point, but disagree fundamentally with its application here. this is not about 'not accepting mediocrity" or "living in a grey twilight", the people behind this are OBSCENELY wealthy, and it seems to me theres enough cash in this project to bring a 3rd world nation out of poverty, with enough left over to start a spec racing series, and finance a college class in racing...its just a waste, a needless, damn-near-zero benefit to anyone except the rich arse whos writing the checks, waste of epic proportions. that said, ill watch the YouTube video when he does it (or blows up spectacularly, which ever...). -J0N

I am reminded of a story of the homeless man and a man in the new sports car. The homeless man asks the man how could he be so selfish and spend all that money on a fancy car when the money could have fed so many. The man with the sports car replied, the money spent did feed many people. It fed the people in the mines who mined the ore, the trucker that delivered the materials, the engineer that designed the seat and so on and so on.

With a task like this, an engineer and fabricator can make the money to fund another project or gain knowledge that will have great value in a future unrelated endeavor. Who knows, maybe the knowledge gained in wind resistance at low altitude can make Musks tunnel a reality.

For all we know, we might not have ever figured out how to split an atom if it wasn't for an obscenely rich dude with a micro phallus didn't put up the money to build a microscope strong enough to see his phallus (and also atoms)

I am all for it. Speed on speed racer.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad PowerDork
8/16/17 11:29 p.m.

The reason I said it's been done is that in the world of aviation, it has. The Blackbird does all sorts of crazy air intake tricks, all figured out in the early 1960s. Skunkworks could easily have done this then. You know why they didn't? Because there is no point. It doesn't fill a need or improve any breeds DNA. Maybe if we lived on a 2D surface and we needed a spy car to drive past at an absurd speed.

I get the urge to set records, honestly I do. But this one...... Pass

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/16/17 11:36 p.m.

Many of the motorsport technology we take for granted, some of which was payed for in blood, was pioneered on the dry lakes and salt flats. All in the quest for speed. It is still relevant.

Rufledt
Rufledt UberDork
8/17/17 1:01 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: Many of the motorsport technology we take for granted, some of which was payed for in blood, was pioneered on the dry lakes and salt flats. All in the quest for speed. It is still relevant.

If you're saying this will lead to F1 cars with rocket boosters and V8 sized fuel pumps for jet engines, I'm all for it. I'd probably start watching F1 again

Mitchell
Mitchell UberDork
8/17/17 2:03 a.m.

Can we make this a train in a tunnel? I would like to be able to get down to LA in an hour and a half without having to get on a plane.

STM317
STM317 Dork
8/17/17 6:32 a.m.

In reply to KyAllroad:

If nothing else, they've been very open about the details of this project throughout, and they've approached it with the idea that it should be used to help inspire young people to pursue STEM careers.

If you were a tech minded kid in the 50s or 60s, you could glean some inspiration from the space race. How many kids wanted to grow up and be astronauts, or work for NASA because of crazy expensive projects that seemed kind of pointless? If you're a tech minded kid today, there's not much like that to inspire you. Maybe something in the computer realm, but we still need more than just software/computer engineers. To me, this is in the same vein as Kennedy declaring that we'd make it to the moon. They've set a lofty goal that should serve as inspiration. It's expensive, and somewhat frivolous but along the way, they'll employ people who can take that knowledge into the next stages of their careers. Jaguar is a sponsor now, and they may be able to apply some of the lessons learned about aerodynamics, rolling resistance, fancy material construction, etc towards future road cars. And maybe it will inspire the next great engineer who figures out a way to make fuel cells more feasible or works on colonizing Mars or something. Moon shot projects like this are often about more than just the project. They tend to have ripple effects that affect much more.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
8/17/17 8:30 a.m.

At 1000 mph on the ground? You would need the force to pilot it. Or a computer program.

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/17/17 9:24 a.m.
Hungary Bill wrote:
curtis73 wrote: 130,000 hp worth of thrust.
Ok, a C-17 makes slightly more than that with four engines from a 757. It weighs 170,000lbs, can carry a fuel load of 300,000lbs, and a friggin TANK (well, mobile artillery, but still) And they put that in a car!?!

It takes power to go fast...

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/17/17 9:27 a.m.

at this point I find myself more interested in the speed records under electric power. THAT is our future

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HjvhP6daxkGRyODOtJQiRLwJ5WPKYshxv2q2nH40D4U48qZZgkt1KjHY8xsQBBJ4