JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
2/14/17 11:36 a.m.

This is Grammy's 2013 Ford Escape with 33k miles. She tells me that she had this fiberglass like material all come out of her passenger side muffler outlet (tailpipe). I coiled it up and took a close up picture of it.
It is otherwise about 8 ft long.

Is this some internal failure of the muffler?
No, it is not running noticeably louder.

When she bought this loaded SEL version (rather high tech) in its first year of release, we sprung for an extra $1,500 for a 7yr/70k mile true Ford bumper to bumper warranty. Would this be a warranty issue?
She has a dealership appt today at 4pm.

Yes, were are in a salty road climate but the external of the muffler is not compromised.
Repeating, the car has 33k miles.

Pics:

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
2/14/17 11:44 a.m.

I'd say that's either muffler guts or a practical joke. Take the packing stuff along to the dealer.

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
2/14/17 11:48 a.m.

Looks like packing from the fancy tip.

That's what's inside old-school glass-pack mufflers. You know, Cherry Bombs.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/14/17 11:50 a.m.

It's unusual for any noticeable amount of packing to come out at once, especially from a factory muffler...if it's under warranty I'd take it to get looked at. If not, keep driving it, worst that can happen is total internal muffler failure leading to more noise.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/14/17 11:51 a.m.
RealMiniParker wrote: Looks like packing from the fancy tip.

I've never seen a tip with packing in it...baffling, yes, but not packing.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
2/14/17 12:13 p.m.

Engines can get tapework?

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
2/14/17 12:14 p.m.

Oh, and see if it will catch on fire. If it does or melts, it clearly does not belong in the exhaust intentionally.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
2/14/17 12:27 p.m.

Does not burn, ignite.
I suspect it is fiberglass and like fiberglass, you can get it to melt a little but very little. Does not melt like a nylon would.

Video: the only reason you are seeing a continued flame is because I am holding the flame from the lighter on. The flame does not increase by catching the material on fire.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/SFSi_p0zPXc

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/14/17 12:27 p.m.

Where is Grandma's kitty cat?

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
2/14/17 12:54 p.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

Ok, conceivably, it could be from the exhaust. If it didn't pass that test, well...

It also suggests that it's not any kind of packing material- no way would they spend the money to make it that non-flammable.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
2/14/17 1:04 p.m.

Does Grammy drive like one? Exhaust contains water, putter around all the time and the mufflers never heat up and dry out, so they rot internally.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
2/14/17 1:15 p.m.

In reply to BrokenYugo:

Grammy exactly drives like a Grammy.
The car is now 4 years old and has 33k or about 8k per year.

Church is roughly 3 miles away from her house.
My house is roughly 3 miles from her house.
Local shopping district is about 4 miles from her house.

Yeah, she doesn't wander too far.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
2/14/17 2:09 p.m.

Sounds like somebody needs to borrow it once a month or so to warm the poor thing up.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UberDork
2/14/17 3:38 p.m.

Looks like muffler packing to me. A friend used to have a Trailblazer SS that would poop out what appeared to be blonde hair out the tailpipe when he romped on it. It looked a lot like the stuff that "escaped" the Escape.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
2/15/17 10:40 a.m.

My guess is that granny wanted to hot rod it a little and had a shop knock the baffles out of the muffler and pack it with fiberglass. She's probably done some other mods that you're not aware of.

jmthunderbirdturbo
jmthunderbirdturbo HalfDork
2/15/17 10:12 p.m.

turbo failure?

-J0N

slefain
slefain PowerDork
2/15/17 10:20 p.m.

Gramma's car got a weave?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pOEIYrKIXG3Q8DFVXKsUvLnqvRMdGfuCwJe1zeYQy57EpQxWWctCj7G5QAtVMaus