JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
6/13/19 8:55 a.m.

Please note the driver was not a drunk guy named Bubba, and nobody on site is reported to have said, "hold my beer...."

https://www.maxim.com/rides/honda-mean-mower-breaks-new-world-record-2019-6

Stunt driver Jess Hawkins expertly controlled the heavily-modified Honda HF 2622 Garden Tractor, which boasts a 190-horsepower four-cylinder from a Honda Fireblade superbike. Flat out, it'll hit an absurd 150 mph—way faster than the Mean Mower V1 that achieved a 116 mph top speed back in 2013. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/13/19 9:08 a.m.

But did it have a jet engine?

Funny story about that thing... they were built in my hometown by a guy we knew. He loved going to Oshkosh and Sun'n'Fun airshows. One year he decided to put rotors on top for the airshows as a gag. Only problem that turbine created enough thrust that when those blades started turning with a little headwind it would lift off the ground! I remember seeing his face the first time we watched it happen. Priceless. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
6/13/19 9:59 a.m.

I suspect that the "quality of cut" starts to suffer at anything above 100 mph. laugh

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
6/13/19 12:22 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

I suspect that the "quality of cut" starts to suffer at anything above 100 mph. laugh

I disagree....the grass doesn't have time to get out of the way if it doesn't know you are coming devil

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/13/19 12:25 p.m.
JoeyM said:
1988RedT2 said:

I disagree....the grass doesn't have time to get out of the way if it doesn't know you are coming devil

In that case they better step up the power to get to Mach 1 (~760 mph).

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
6/13/19 12:26 p.m.
bobzilla said:

Funny story about that thing... they were built in my hometown by a guy we knew. He loved going to Oshkosh and Sun'n'Fun airshows. One year he decided to put rotors on top for the airshows as a gag. Only problem that turbine created enough thrust that when those blades started turning with a little headwind it would lift off the ground! I remember seeing his face the first time we watched it happen. Priceless. 

I would love to see a turbine powered autogyro of any form.....the fact tht it can mow the lawn is just an extra benefit.  I hope somebody can find video of if lifting up

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/13/19 2:12 p.m.
JoeyM said:
bobzilla said:

I would love to see a turbine powered autogyro of any form.....the fact tht it can mow the lawn is just an extra benefit.  I hope somebody can find video of if lifting up

This was late 80's, early 90's at Oshkosh IIRC. So any "evidence" would likely be on VHS in someone's closet!

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/14/19 10:20 a.m.

That’s just a bit faster than my Dixie Chopper...

TJL
TJL Reader
6/14/19 10:33 a.m.

Its cool and all, but pretty berkin far from a lawnmower. 

“Racing go-cart with bike engine made to look like a lawmnower goes 150mph”. 

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
6/14/19 11:29 a.m.
TJL said:

Its cool and all, but pretty berkin far from a lawnmower. 

in the video, the guy from Guinness says that it still can cut grass.  You are, of course, correct when you say, "Racing go-cart with bike engine" but personally, I think that's still close enough to count as a lawn mower. YMMV.

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
6/14/19 3:17 p.m.

Will you be penalized when re-entering the track after mowing a corner?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ffwpPsEicsl9tBot6jsYWS5QwNE5a9te7pasmUwMRThsIk9W4Zv20dfzY4kPNRtf