GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/21/17 8:57 a.m.

I've been looking at plane tickets to go to the Challenge. Jacksonville is a solid option as a good number of GRMers live there, but Miami is 1/3rd the cost and overall travel time. Anyone going from Miami this year? Maybe mndsm?

Also looked at the options for traveling to other nearby states and...nope, the flights only get more expensive and multi-legged.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
9/21/17 10:10 a.m.

Miami to Gainesville is a 5 hr drive so that may factor into your ideas of "shorter travel time"  

Orlando, FL to Gainesville, FL is a 1 hr 45 min drive.  You might find options to Orlando and that also happens to be where MNdsm lives.  

I will be driving through to Jacksonville, FL on Weds late afternoon.  I am willing to help you from there.  Ill be back to Jax by Sunday and you could get a flight  in the afternoon.  

I can be reached direct at jwelsh02...yahoo...

GameboyRMH
9/21/17 10:16 a.m.

Yeah, the driving from Miami to Gainesville ends up taking about the same time that flying to Jacksonville does, but driving's way more comfortable than flying! The big savings on airfare is nice too.

Orlando is about the same time and cost as Jacksonville.

Like I said, Jacksonville can work, so that'll be where I fly to if Miami isn't an option.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
9/21/17 10:16 a.m.

EchoEchoEcho travels in from Miami.  He recently commented on this thread which will lead you to the ability to send him a PM.  

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/21/17 10:36 a.m.

We haven't firmed up our plans but thinking of heading to Gainesville Thursday afternoon from Jacksonville. You'd have to ride bitch in a single cab though. 

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/21/17 10:45 a.m.

Is Tampa an option? You'd have a few GRM'rs to choose from for a lift (including me).

GameboyRMH
9/21/17 10:54 a.m.

Tampa's about 150% the cost of Jacksonville or Orlando (and about the same time), about as much as flying straight into Gainesville...unless I take a 48 hour flight back, in which case it's about half the price cheeky

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/21/17 11:45 a.m.

Atlanta is about the same distance from Gainesville as Miami. Lots of good cheap flights through ATL, and a better chance at hitch-hiking with southern/midwestern GRMer's on their way down.

GameboyRMH
9/21/17 12:10 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

Atlanta is about the same distance from Gainesville as Miami. Lots of good cheap flights through ATL, and a better chance at hitch-hiking with southern/midwestern GRMer's on their way down.

I also had the idea that ATL is about the same distance and should be cheap, being a major destination, but for some reason the flights start at about 50% more than Jacksonville/Orlando for those that don't have ridiculously long or plentiful layovers.

Edit: Probably just the increase in distance from where I'm starting in the Caribbean.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3PpKAH5miHADKt9eJRCRh0ufJ5CkOfTU0bk4jWTelEc9mtTCRpcpEshQWcL12vVS