1 2
slefain
slefain UberDork
1/11/16 9:20 a.m.

I've got mixed feelings on this one. The flying buttresses are gone, which is good but it gave the truck character. It looks more like a 'Murican truck at least.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Reader
1/11/16 9:50 a.m.

Looks more like a truck, but that new front end is just bad. Looks even worse on the Pilot, which used to be a pretty decent looking little SUV.

slefain
slefain UberDork
1/11/16 9:55 a.m.
gearheadE30 wrote: Looks more like a truck, but that new front end is just bad. Looks even worse on the Pilot, which used to be a pretty decent looking little SUV.

The front end is what stops me from giving the thumbs up.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/11/16 10:13 a.m.

I don't care what vehicles look like anymore. I don't need to impress anyone.

I've wanted a Honda Truck for 25 years. If I could plow with one (frame and a low range), I would buy it to replace my 2005 Tacoma. But I don't think that it will have those two things.

Woody
1/11/16 10:15 a.m.

I'm glad that Honda didn't decide to drop it from the lineup.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/11/16 10:47 a.m.

I’ll be the contrarian and say the fascia looks very much like what I’d expect a modern Honda truck’s to look like. The fascia on nearly everyone else’s trucks (I’m looking at you big three) look downright garish to me so the alternative is very welcome.

However, the clutter around the base of the “C” pillar that extends back along the sides of the box annoys me greatly…I have the same problem with the new Canyon / Colorado where the chin line sweeps up at the rear of the back doors.

In all cases, the rear doors do not extend over the rear wheel arches so there is no need to have metal cover up the area where you can’t have glass as it would interfere with the arches. Admittedly, I’ve got some OCD issues and clutter, in any form, really sets it off.

For me, life is like one big Monty Python skit…“We’ve got clutter, clutter, clutter, function, clutter, and clutter…that doesn’t have too much clutter.”

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
1/11/16 10:55 a.m.
Woody wrote: I don't care what vehicles look like anymore. I don't need to impress anyone. I've wanted a Honda Truck for 25 years. If I could plow with one (frame and a low range), I would buy it to replace my 2005 Tacoma. But I don't think that it will have those two things.

I buy cars I enjoy looking at for myself....not for anyone else. Not sure why anyone would purchase something they think is ugly when there are other options.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
1/11/16 11:23 a.m.

I hope it keeps the trunk and other unique features.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
1/11/16 11:32 a.m.

I was one of the people that couldn't stand the old Ridgeline. I don't know what it was about it, but it just rubbed me the wrong way. This one, however, looks pretty nice to me. Maybe I can convince SWMBO to buy one to replace her Mazda AND our aging Dakota.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
1/11/16 11:51 a.m.
Woody wrote: I don't care what vehicles look like anymore.

Says the guy with a fleet of beautiful vehicles...

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/11/16 11:57 a.m.

I like it. I like the old one too, but think it was overpriced on the used market. Maybe the old one will experience an adjustment now.

My big gripe for the new one is the optional all wheel drive. It doesn't snow here, so standard all or four-wheel drive is the only reason there are good used options locally, outside of the big three pickups, that is. It's hard to find a four wheel drive Jeep here, beyond a Wrangler. My prediction: I'll hardly ever see a AWD second generation Ridgeline.

Here's to cheaper used Ridgelines then.

slefain
slefain UberDork
1/11/16 12:56 p.m.

BTW, this is the truck probably 50% of truck buyers actually need. They don't haul anything, they don't tow anything, they don't work in a trade field, and it never leaves the paved roads. It is Dad's family car, yet it rarely hauls kids because Mom drives an Odyssey. It hauls Dad to & from work every day on his one hour 15 mile commute. Dad bought a truck capable of towing a space ship when he really only needed a commuter car. He didn't need a Ferd 15000, he needed a Ridgeline, and that is perfectly fine. Hell, I still want a first gen but they are too darned expensive on the used market.

singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
1/11/16 1:07 p.m.

In reply to slefain:

You think that it is only 50%? I bet it is higher than that. An AWD pilot with a bed area for mulch is about the perfect suburbanite "work vehicle" in my book. And here one is!

Also, I like the front end. It is literally better than everything else that is out except maybe the Canyon.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/11/16 1:11 p.m.
slefain wrote: BTW, this is the truck probably 50% of truck buyers actually need. They don't haul anything, they don't tow anything, they don't work in a trade field, and it never leaves the paved roads. It is Dad's family car, yet it rarely hauls kids because Mom drives an Odyssey. It hauls Dad to & from work every day on his one hour 15 mile commute. Dad bought a truck capable of towing a space ship when he really only needed a commuter car. He didn't need a Ferd 15000, he needed a Ridgeline, and that is perfectly fine. Hell, I still want a first gen but they are too darned expensive on the used market.

With so many truck owners buying for image, I doubt that many will listen and get this instead of the alternates. No image.

When you consider how few people actually just get what they need, well....

STM317
STM317 Reader
1/11/16 1:31 p.m.

I'm curious to see how it might stack up against the Colorado/Canyon in size, price, fuel economy, ratings, etc. Also interesting that it appears to have a separate bed.

singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
1/11/16 1:34 p.m.
STM317 wrote: Also interesting that it appears to have a separate bed.

That could just be a style thing to make it look more truck like.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/11/16 1:36 p.m.
slefain wrote: BTW, this is the truck probably 50% of truck buyers actually need. They don't haul anything, they don't tow anything, they don't work in a trade field, and it never leaves the paved roads. It is Dad's family car, yet it rarely hauls kids because Mom drives an Odyssey. It hauls Dad to & from work every day on his one hour 15 mile commute. Dad bought a truck capable of towing a space ship when he really only needed a commuter car. He didn't need a Ferd 15000, he needed a Ridgeline, and that is perfectly fine. Hell, I still want a first gen but they are too darned expensive on the used market.

Basically, slap the minimum safety / emissions stuff required on this and call it a day...

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
1/11/16 1:36 p.m.

Slefain's right--this is the truck most buyers need. That's why we're still driving our now 11-year-old Ridgeline. It's got more than a quarter-million miles, but still does the job. Tim doesn't plan to get rid of it until he can buy a second-gen one, and even then our original Ridgeline will probably stay in the family.

Margie

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltraDork
1/11/16 2:11 p.m.

I think it's damn nice. It doesn't sweat testosterone like the big Fords, but that's okay. Kind of reminds me of the early Tundras - it's just a clean, functional truck for 90% of what people do with a truck.

And this is coming from a guy with a diesel F250...

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
1/11/16 2:53 p.m.

really cutting edge design. cover the headlights/grill with your finger and it looks just like a 2004+ F150.

If you are gunna make a not-a-real-truck, why make it look like every other truck that is not a RAM? Trucks are so good now that price and style are the only differentiators.

Woody
1/11/16 3:01 p.m.
bravenrace wrote:
Woody wrote: I don't care what vehicles look like anymore.
Says the guy with a fleet of beautiful vehicles...

Sometimes, that just happens. They have inner beauty too.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
1/11/16 3:27 p.m.

I'm interested. It's what I need. Do kid duty, get me down forest roads with a pop up... haul house stuff.

HunterBenz
HunterBenz New Reader
1/11/16 4:24 p.m.
slefain wrote: ...and it never leaves the paved roads...

I'm not sure if you meant it to be this way, but your comment, while 99% accurate, to me seems to insinuate that the Ridgeline is not capable of doing a little pavement leaving duty.

Mine has seen some decently serious off-pavement ranch work and shooting range work. I used to get piles of E36 M3 from some of the guys until I had to unstuck one of their Silverados on a muddy mess of a hillside.

If the Ridgeline could tow a little more seriously, I would honestly never look at another truck for anything. I also have to say the new design is not bad. That being said, if the new one doesn't have a bed trunk it isn't a Ridgeline and I will never accept it as one. I LOVE that thing.

Mine was reasonably priced used, but I agree they do seem to fetch a premium.

Woody
1/11/16 4:32 p.m.

I've seen high mileage used ones around here in the $7=9k range.

Nick (LUCAS) Comstock
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock UltimaDork
1/11/16 4:32 p.m.

Had one as a company vehicle a couple years ago. It impressed me but I have no interest in one for personal use. I wouldn't mind a smallish truck but V8 RWD is mandatory for me to even consider it.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fJ6ChauujiF4NmN5tswnf4p5iFgWpMbAUDjggEDNGSBsqIg27aKxCCyfEvaENGvt