1 2
corytate
corytate HalfDork
1/11/12 9:50 p.m.

I am definitely buying the 280z, and now I am in a quandary as to which engine to choose.
I'd prefer to keep it nissan/datsun
as far as I've seen, an l28 in really good shape is the same cost as an rb25, an rb20 or a black top t28 equipped sr20 are a bit cheaper.
the rb25 seems like the obvious choice right now, with the sr as a back up, but I'm not sure.
If I were to go with the l28, it'd be with some L series switcharoos and either a double su or triple weber setup for sure.
the rb25 would make more power and be more economical (which I don't actually care about now that I think about it) out of the box, but will it be reliable? I don't have any experience with the rb series but have been fascinated with them for a while, especially the 25.
any thoughts/recommendations/experience/ideas?
Car will be a race car which will be barely street legal. I have a fantastic daily driver right now, and this is going to be a long term project. Disc conversion, full cage, the works.
Discuss

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
1/11/12 10:21 p.m.

I Like the L28 "There's something about the yowl of a straight six that stirs the blood" - Richard Hammond, Top Gear S01E06

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
1/11/12 10:53 p.m.

I have an L28 w/tranny just sitting in my garage that I pulled out of my Z. How much are these things selling for? I've never even considered the cost on these things.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
1/11/12 10:58 p.m.

RBs are plenty reliable if treated properly.

I wouldn't bother with the rb20. Not strong enough to support more power down the road if you want it without eating your wallet.

Wouldn't do sr20 either. Ka24 > sr20.

corytate
corytate HalfDork
1/12/12 12:37 a.m.
carguy123 wrote: I have an L28 w/tranny just sitting in my garage that I pulled out of my Z. How much are these things selling for? I've never even considered the cost on these things.

good looking rebuilt longblocks on ebay are running like 1800. the one's I've seen running around that price range are what I would use for an na build: the l28 block with flat top pistons and bigger ports.
but yeah they are super expensive apparently.
does anyone have any experience with getting an engine from the canadian company jdmsource?
they have a lot of good looking choices, notably this rb25 with trans ecu accessories and everything for $2k
mckinney makes an engine swap kit for the s30 chassis for another $520 including solid mounts
Seems like 250-300hp out of the box from an engine that will hold 1000 easily would be a pretty damn good idea,
Goal for now is only about 300 or so, but I'm sure that will change lol

scarsofcarma
scarsofcarma New Reader
1/12/12 11:37 p.m.

All aluminum Nissan Titan V8

rotard
rotard HalfDork
1/12/12 11:48 p.m.

LS6

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
1/13/12 8:20 a.m.
rotard wrote: LS6

Where's the GRM-ness in something normal with readily available parts?

N Sperlo
N Sperlo SuperDork
1/13/12 8:38 a.m.

RB20 is a direct fit after you switch it to a rear sump. How does a turbo swap giving you 400 hp sound? I'd love to switch to a 280 body, but I'm wired for an s13.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
1/13/12 8:46 a.m.
N Sperlo wrote: RB20 is a direct fit after you switch it to a rear sump. How does a turbo swap giving you 400 hp sound? I'd love to switch to a 280 body, but I'm wired for an s13.

.... you've seen the rods in those motors, right? I'll believe a reliable 400hp on a stock RB20 about as soon as the money fairy makes it rain all over me.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo SuperDork
1/13/12 9:23 a.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
N Sperlo wrote: RB20 is a direct fit after you switch it to a rear sump. How does a turbo swap giving you 400 hp sound? I'd love to switch to a 280 body, but I'm wired for an s13.
.... you've seen the rods in those motors, right? I'll believe a reliable 400hp on a stock RB20 about as soon as the money fairy makes it rain all over me.

I'll be sure to post the dyno results as soon as she's done. OK, so 260 but after a few internal mods. Plus that short stroke makes a monster.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
1/13/12 10:09 a.m.
corytate wrote:
carguy123 wrote: I have an L28 w/tranny just sitting in my garage that I pulled out of my Z. How much are these things selling for? I've never even considered the cost on these things.
good looking rebuilt longblocks on ebay are running like 1800. the one's I've seen running around that price range are what I would use for an na build: the l28 block with flat top pistons and bigger ports. but yeah they are super expensive apparently. does anyone have any experience with getting an engine from the canadian company jdmsource? they have a lot of good looking choices, notably this rb25 with trans ecu accessories and everything for $2k mckinney makes an engine swap kit for the s30 chassis for another $520 including solid mounts Seems like 250-300hp out of the box from an engine that will hold 1000 easily would be a pretty damn good idea, Goal for now is only about 300 or so, but I'm sure that will change lol

You have got to be kidding me!

I figured more like $400-$500

Brotus7
Brotus7 Reader
1/13/12 10:38 a.m.

$1800 is pretty pricey. I'd figure $300-500 is pretty reasonable.

For an engine swap, how about something different (not necessarily better). Buick 3800 mated to a 5 speed for an S10 or Cameribird? Running engines are available all day long for $300, lighter than the I6, 200hp. If that bores you, go with the L67 supercharged 3800. 240hp and still cheap.

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi New Reader
1/13/12 10:52 a.m.

I'm going to vote L28 with triple carbs, a hot cam, and higher compression.

... as a L28 n/a turbo conversion owner, that's my vote.

rotard
rotard HalfDork
1/13/12 11:18 a.m.
JoeyM wrote:
rotard wrote: LS6
Where's the GRM-ness in something normal with readily available parts?

The L28 is a pretty cool little engine. I say stick with some variant of it.

Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
1/13/12 11:35 a.m.

...And if you're going to stick with that L28, take the head off and replace it with an L24. That setup, with the right and proper induction and exhaust, and maybe a cam upgrade, is a surprising combination. Needing-to-install-a-beefier-rear-end surprising...

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
1/13/12 11:55 a.m.
Jay_W wrote: ...And if you're going to stick with that L28, take the head off and replace it with an L24. That setup, with the right and proper induction and exhaust, and maybe a cam upgrade, is a surprising combination. Needing-to-install-a-beefier-rear-end surprising...

Which head would you recommend, the E30 or the E31?

corytate
corytate HalfDork
1/13/12 12:57 p.m.

I'm glad this thread took off a little bit, I was despairing over in the carolina z forums lol
I found an l28 on cl near me complete with a trans for 450, supposedly was running before but I'm going to build it anyways so as long as its decent it'll do.
I'm growing closer to deciding on the l28/24/cams/triples/fun for sure.
And for those of you enamored by the vk56, check out the vk50 that comes in the fx50
that is a NASTY engine, with the vq37, only other vvel engine sold in the states that I can think of.
cant wait til THAT makes it into a car
500hp v8 that revs to 7k anyone?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy SuperDork
1/13/12 3:14 p.m.

L28 stroker with 3 webers, for the noise. There are faster, more reliable, more economical choices, but they are wrong, because of the noise.

They sound very, very, very, very, very good. In addition to that, they make a very good noise.

Schmidlap
Schmidlap HalfDork
1/13/12 3:25 p.m.

HybridZ Forums

Whatever you end up deciding on, someone (or probabaly a few people) at Hybrid Z will have done it. Tonnes of info and incredibly knowledgeable people. Even if you keep the L28 there's tonnes of info about it there.

Bob

corytate
corytate HalfDork
1/13/12 3:43 p.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: L28 stroker with 3 webers, for the noise. There are faster, more reliable, more economical choices, but they are wrong, because of the noise. They sound very, very, very, very, very good. In addition to that, they make a very good noise.

I can definitely go for that. I'll probably end up starting out with just the stock hitachis or whatever they are from the l24 head but the goal is triple webers. I'm pretty much dead set on the l28 as of now. Plus fender mounted mirrors, just because I like em.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
1/13/12 3:58 p.m.

Has anyone ever put a BMW slant-6 in a Z?

Cory - do you have a power goal in mind? Is 300hp sufficient? Do you want 400? 800? Do you want flexibility for more power down the road?

I personally think the RB is the way to go, but it also depends on how reliable your parts supply is, considering that they never came stateside.

Along those lines, you could look at 2JZ, I've seen a very cleanly done 2J280Z, and the parts supply should be a little bit better stateside than it would be for the Nissan 6.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
1/13/12 4:15 p.m.

Check this one out.

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2007/06/ferrari-250-gto-replica-based-on-nissan.html

Since you are leaning strongly toward an L28, why not keep the stock FI and tweak it? It will be a lot less aggravation than the triple Webers when it comes to tuning (remarks the guy with twin Dellortos on his Jensen Healey).

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
1/13/12 4:52 p.m.

For my 240, I've been thinking about an L28, E31 head off my 2.4, light flywheel (a must with the 2.8), and then hanging a supercharger on it. I heard one at a track day once and it still haunts my dreams!

And definitely stick with fuel injection.

A 4.5 V8 out of the Q45 is another swap in the Nissan family. It's been done. You have options.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
1/13/12 5:49 p.m.
racerdave600 wrote: And definitely stick with fuel injection.

What's the best painless and (cheap way!!!) to do that? Asking because I need to get an L24(e) running again soon in my car. The complicating factor is that I fear wires, and DIYAutotune doesn't offer a PNP

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MxHJCaNsxzezK5ic4uSFexs8HcgeuD9zNut3E32lFXwYgPfyGjSr2449skkmanij