1 ... 6 7 8
Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/6/08 1:53 p.m.

I don't think she won the popular vote. Could be wrong, but I don't think it was close. Problem is that once you get off the coasts and the old-school liberals, people just don't like her. Add in Obama owning the black south, and she never stood a chance.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
6/6/08 2:03 p.m.

I think she did win the popular vote. There was a lot of talk on it. I didn't see any actual numbers, so it could be just talk. Anyway, once you get off the new-school liberals, people just don't like BHO. The old-school liberals will vote for Little Mac, because he's an old-school liberal. The R's will stay home or vote for Little Mac. That leaves just college professors, ignorant and the left coast to vote for BHO.

16vCorey
16vCorey Dork
6/6/08 2:21 p.m.

And nearly the entire black and people under thirty populations.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/6/08 2:27 p.m.

Popular vote yes IF you do not count Caucasses and unconventional ballots (mail in etc)

I forget who had the stats, when ALL votes were counted it was like 50.2/49.8 Obama

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
6/6/08 2:40 p.m.

Little Mac picks Huck for VP, carries the South. 10% black vote goes to BHO, but 12% Hispanic goes to Little Mac, who has promised amnesty for 20 million illegal aliens and has the support of La Raza. BHO takes Left Coast, most of New England, Illinois. Add it up: Little Mac wins electorial college. Not that there's going to be any difference in how things get run afterwards, just pointing out who's going to win.

GlennS
GlennS Reader
6/6/08 2:56 p.m.

Hillaries winning the popular vote has to do with counting Michigan and Florida. 2 states where Obama removed himself from the ballot.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
6/6/08 4:43 p.m.

Partly true. You are right, Clinton winning the poplar vote includes her own special calculations for FL and MI.

You are also correct that Obama removed his name from the MI ballot

He did not, however, remove his name from the FL ballot. He didn't campaign there, but his name was on the ballot.

GlennS
GlennS Reader
6/6/08 5:08 p.m.

ah ok

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
6/6/08 7:20 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: ignorant and the left coast to vote for BHO.

and my mom and my dad and my inlaws and my wife and my sister and everyone I went to college with, except cleatus cause he's stoopid...

And now for a nugget of interestingness. I was on a business trip this week with an ex coast guard guy who professed to have voted republican since he was 18. He looked at me and said.. "I think I'm going to vote for Obama." He went on to say how excited he was with his election and the fresh breath that Obama brings. He also said we need a change. So Count that as one ex-dairy farmer, ex coast guard chief, dyed in the wool republican, from Michigan for Obama as well.

It's happening. Can you hear it?.... It's the electricity in the air over this election...

GlennS
GlennS Reader
6/6/08 7:39 p.m.

obamania is sweeping the nation

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
6/6/08 7:49 p.m.

I admire the zealousness of youth.

The general election campaign hasn't even started, and some of you are hearing things.

Nobody has ANYTHING sewn up.

The only thing you are seeing is the wave of the completion of the primaries.

Trust me, there will be an awful lot of high and low days for both candidates between now and Nov. I've been voting for nearly 30 years, and there is always back and forth moments of momentum.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie New Reader
6/6/08 8:25 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: I think she did win the popular vote. There was a lot of talk on it. I didn't see any actual numbers, so it could be just talk. Anyway, once you get off the new-school liberals, people just don't like BHO. The old-school liberals will vote for Little Mac, because he's an old-school liberal. The R's will stay home or vote for Little Mac. That leaves just college professors, ignorant and the left coast to vote for BHO.

I don't see anybody who describes himself or herself as a liberal ever voting for McCain. His abortion views alone are a deal killer, not to mention his views on war.

You might see a few right leaning Independents voting for him. A few Ron Paul supporters might see him as a lesser of two evils, but a lot of the libertarian types may go for Bob Barr instead. The religious right will be sitting this one out.

Brust
Brust New Reader
6/6/08 8:35 p.m.

Problem is, republicans don't "sit this one out". When the chips are down, they come to the booths and vote. On the other hand, if dems don't get their way, they stay home in some sort of silent protest. I think the best thing McCain could do is pick Lieberman- you've got the Jewish lobby, and you've cherry picked any moderate democrat who's on the fence. If Obama is clever, he'll go right and pick up Webb to cherry pick any moderate republican who's on the fence. This could be an exciting election with two dudes (and maybe four!) who actually seem to have a conscience. I'm a lifelong dem, but it's going to be a damn tough choice this fall, as I've always had a great deal of respect for McCain, but dig Obama's character, charisma, and old school liberalism without being ashamed of it. About time. I dig that McCain does the right thing even when it hurts and soldiered up after Bush berkley'ed him in 2000.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
6/9/08 9:16 a.m.

Did some reading this weekend. There is some interesting stuff out there on McCain and his incessant flip flopping on issues. Theres a wonderful quote out there from him around the first gulf war that goes something like " no american blood for Iraqi soil"...

hmmm......

GlennS
GlennS Reader
6/9/08 9:38 a.m.

I liked old McCain a lot more than new MCain.

doitover
doitover New Reader
6/9/08 1:19 p.m.

I like the media version of McCain better than the reality of McCain.

His voting record is extremely Bush-like, regardless of his claims to be a maverick. His day to day statements are full of inaccuracies and outright lies. I've always wanted to like the guy but his past from the Keating 5 to the present says he is just another half nuts bitter politician.

GlennS wrote: I liked old McCain a lot more than new MCain.
RX78
RX78 New Reader
6/9/08 3:38 p.m.
doitover said:his voting record is extremely Bush-like

Please share the specifics as one news outlet (MSNBC I believe) said that in 2007, McCain agreed with Bush 95% of the time. I was traveling on a business trip at the time so I didn’t have an opportunity to research the claim but…MSNBC is notorious for their liberal propaganda …95% requires votes in even multiples of 20 which is unlikely…and using 2007 as a reference point isn’t logical, why not use Bush’s full term as McCain was a Senator the entire time, or the last 12 months, or ???. I suspect that 2007 just turned out to be the least flattering period of time so the news media went with it. Also, was McCain recorded as agreeing if he opted out of voting on a measure…if you use that criteria, many Liberal Democrats would appear to align with Bush.

doitover
doitover New Reader
6/9/08 4:05 p.m.

Any source I would give you would also be a left wing propagand engine. :) Seriously, I pay way too much attention to this stuff and I don't recall any major issue for which McCain did not vote with the Republican block.since at least 2003. He has paid lip service to things like troop support, disagreeing with how the war was fought, campaign finance reform, and lobbiest reforms but hasn't done anything of merit towards any of it. Then there is the flip/flop on torture. That one is inexcusable no matter how you parse it.

RX78 wrote:
doitover said:his voting record is extremely Bush-like
Please share the specifics as one news outlet (MSNBC I believe) said that in 2007, McCain agreed with Bush 95% of the time. I was traveling on a business trip at the time so I didn’t have an opportunity to research the claim but…MSNBC is notorious for their liberal propaganda …95% requires votes in even multiples of 20 which is unlikely…and using 2007 as a reference point isn’t logical, why not use Bush’s full term as McCain was a Senator the entire time, or the last 12 months, or ???. I suspect that 2007 just turned out to be the least flattering period of time so the news media went with it. Also, was McCain recorded as agreeing if he opted out of voting on a measure…if you use that criteria, many Liberal Democrats would appear to align with Bush.
1 ... 6 7 8
Our Preferred Partners
qS17ukD6jmMSxbjBOtnYMBrncz5wQJggmRrUWtSb883mGTJ4u2i1co5fUyAP1HOk