1 2
DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
4/2/15 5:05 p.m.

Ok, so my 3D printer kit has been up and printing for about 5 days now. I promised feedback and general info. Check out the build thread in the link for the build process. Here goes.
To start printing stuff you need:
a printer
Slicing software
You may also want:
3D modeling software like Google Sketchup or Blender
Printer interface software like Pronterface
You'll also need:
Stuff to print. You can download pre-made stuff at places like Thingiverse and quite a few others.
You take the file you made or downloaded and run it through your slicer software. That program slices the file into layers to the set layer height you've chosen. This then becomes the G-code, the file that your printer uses to actually print.
The biggest learning curve for me was the slicer software. I started using slic3r, the kleenex of slicer programs. I wasn't able to get very good prints. I started printing Lego bricks. I figure that they'd be great calibration pieces since they actually have to be pretty precise. They did indeed lock together, but the walls were very thin. Slic3r also printed what's called a raft. It's basically a plastic platform for the printer to print the part on. "The raft just snaps off" I was told. I never got a raft to snap off. I actually spent almost an hour on each lego piece sanding the raft off. Slic3r either can't print without a raft, or they've hidden that feature. I decided to try another slicer program; kisslicer (keep it simple slicer). It's anything but simple, you can change EVERY setting you can think of. So, I watched a few tutorials and posted on a forum and got things set up.
I had already printed a light switch using slic3r and it was unusable for two reasons, the dreaded raft, and the fact that the print quality was craptasitacal. Here's the back of the light switch, showing the crappy print quality.

You can see lines that aren't straight, the fact that the rear and sides aren't connected around most of the perimeter.
I took that same 3D file, ran it through kisslicer, using the same settings I used with slic3r and came up with this

New here's a picture of them both, side-by-side

So, for me, assembling the kit was fairly easy, Colin at MakerFarm (where I purchased my kit) has simply phenomenal customer support. There are all kinds of cool things to print, and you can design your own stuff. And I did.
My toilet is not like most toilets, it has a pressure tank in the tank that pushes water down the bowl with such force, if you're sitting down when you flush, your lower intestine will come out a little bit. Anyway, When we moved into the house, there were these thin plastic strips that held down the flush rod. One was cracked. So, years ago I made two metal straps. The paint wore off the straps and I got bi-metal corrosion. Not good.

So, I removed the two straps, measured them up and created plastic blocks in sketchup. I printed them, one set with slic3r and one with kisslicer. Again, the difference was pronounced. The ones with slic3r weren't as dimensionally accurate and were kinda sloppy. The ones with k-slicer were within a tenth of a millimeter at worst. Anyway, here they are, bad parts and new parts.

And installed

A replacement pressure tank would have been almost $400, a new toilet is a few hundred and a pain to install. I consider this a win.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
4/2/15 5:10 p.m.

Here's a few miscellaneous shots of the printing process, and a few prints I think.
Here's the light switch I printed for my 8-year old Star Wars fan

A toilet part being printed
And the light switch on layer 5 or so The squiggly lines in the words and around the print are a support structure. The plate is being printed face-down so the recessed words and the 45* bevel would be an overhang. The support is printed with much less material, and much faster so it barely bonds with the part. It snapped off very easy.

I had a lot more pictures than that, I accidentally deleted them from my phone. Oops.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
4/2/15 5:22 p.m.

Wicked cool!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/2/15 5:47 p.m.

I hate you. So. Much.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/2/15 5:55 p.m.

Pretty cool, but I was picturing the toilet parts as more complex.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
4/2/15 6:13 p.m.
bgkast wrote: Pretty cool, but I was picturing the toilet parts as more complex.

I'm glad they weren't. Printing simple things at first is nice. If there are any issues, it's easier to figure out if the problem lies with the hardware or software.

fujioko
fujioko HalfDork
4/2/15 8:29 p.m.

The toilet fix makes this more awesome!

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
4/3/15 7:18 a.m.

So much win.

84FSP
84FSP Reader
4/3/15 7:25 a.m.

Looking good sir. Does this model fuse resin powder or utilize resin filament? Looks like PLA resin to me but wasn't sure.

JacktheRiffer
JacktheRiffer Reader
4/3/15 8:51 a.m.

Stop making me want a 3d printer. But really nice job on the parts.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
4/3/15 8:54 a.m.

It's a spool of PLA plastic filament. The plastic is fed into a heated extruder and through a nozzle.
I'm surprised and impressed that you knew it was PLA.

Egghead Racer
Egghead Racer New Reader
4/3/15 9:31 a.m.

Awesome. I have two more steppers to wire up and my Prusa i3 will be ready to calibrate. It's a labor of love sometimes, what with the new kid. But soon...

Nice to see a fell 3D Printer enthusiast on here.

84FSP
84FSP HalfDork
4/3/15 9:41 a.m.

In reply to DrBoost:

Don't be too impressed - have made my living the last few years in engineering plastics...

Bearded.Bird
Bearded.Bird Reader
4/3/15 11:31 a.m.

Thats awesome. I want one of these so bad. I just cant justify a good reason for one.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
4/4/15 2:19 p.m.

Bump.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
4/4/15 2:39 p.m.

Since you bumped it T.J., I'll add that I printed my daughter a bracelet last night. I love being able to simply make anything I want, anytime I want.

Here's the painted, but not dry, light switch.

84FSP
84FSP Reader
4/4/15 4:02 p.m.

Nice!

singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
8/25/15 2:50 p.m.

Any more on this? I am looking at getting a printer. This one is in the running but I am leaning heavily towards the Printrbot Simple Metal with the heated platform.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/25/15 2:55 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: I hate you. So. Much.

+1. Gotta get me one of these.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
8/25/15 8:07 p.m.
singleslammer wrote: Any more on this? I am looking at getting a printer. This one is in the running but I am leaning heavily towards the Printrbot Simple Metal with the heated platform.

I've been printing stuff for me and others. I've printed drone parts, parts to fix a recliner, man, I cant think of all the stuff. I'll post pics later.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/25/15 8:43 p.m.

There's a market for those switch plates. You should be selling them.

singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
8/25/15 9:01 p.m.

If he doesn't, I might. I just bought a Printrbot Simple Metal. Pretty much direct competition to this one. It will be here Friday .

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
8/26/15 3:03 a.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: There's a market for those switch plates. You should be selling them.

What would you pay, painted or unpainted?
Another question: if you were buying it, would you rather it LOOK like it was printed, or want it smoothed out?

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
8/26/15 3:04 a.m.
singleslammer wrote: If he doesn't, I might. I just bought a Printrbot Simple Metal. Pretty much direct competition to this one. It will be here Friday .

What made you go with that printer specifically? Do you mind sharing price?

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
8/26/15 7:05 a.m.

My son is a dino-geek. So here's a mounted T-Rex head made as a door pull.

Photobucket no workey. Here's a link https://photos.google.com/search/tra/photo/AF1QipMU9Y-McgByFWki5-QU-NIZoNZ7ngq6KTnqSKR9

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
f16sF7RSFGj6XqoL3U5ycGR58cgYS43RtgPic1oxzKby21Uwo2JoEyhMyYzqBVfX