1 2
iceracer
iceracer HalfDork
11/25/09 10:20 a.m.

Four million gas pedals and rusty frames. Toyota announced that they will start replacing gas pedals on all affected cars plus dealers will cut some until parts are available. Some Tundras are being recalled to check for rusty frames. de ja vu ?

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
11/25/09 10:28 a.m.

How do they mess up a gas pedal? Isn't that like the simplest moving part on the car? Ouch..

iceracer
iceracer HalfDork
11/25/09 10:35 a.m.

It has to do with the floor mat debacle.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt Dork
11/25/09 11:24 a.m.
NYG95GA wrote: How do they mess up a gas pedal? Isn't that like the simplest moving part on the car?

Not with a drive by wire throttle...

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
11/25/09 11:27 a.m.

I have a rusty Tundra... do you have anymore info on this?

EDIT: Autoblog Story

zipty842
zipty842 New Reader
11/25/09 5:55 p.m.

They really should have never let Americans design and build toyotas

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro HalfDork
11/25/09 11:34 p.m.
iceracer wrote: It has to do with the floor mat debacle.

Probably has more to do with a faulty operator.

Shawn

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Dork
11/25/09 11:49 p.m.

wouldn't a floor mat recall be easier?

DrBoost
DrBoost HalfDork
11/26/09 10:16 a.m.
DirtyBird222 wrote: wouldn't a floor mat recall be easier?

Wouldn't auto engineers having a freaking clue as to how a car actually works in the real world (I mean, off the 21" computer screen) been easier? Maybe we need an engineer recall?

DrBoost
DrBoost HalfDork
11/26/09 10:17 a.m.

Wouldn't auto engineers having a freaking clue as to how a car actually works in the real world (I mean, off the 21" computer screen) been easier? Maybe we need an engineer recall?

DrBoost
DrBoost HalfDork
11/26/09 10:17 a.m.

iceracer
iceracer HalfDork
11/26/09 10:21 a.m.

Apparently it wasn't a Toyota floor mat,but a heavy rubber aftermarket mat. Maybe all cars should have an emergency kill switch.

wayslow
wayslow New Reader
11/26/09 10:28 a.m.

I've had a heavy winter floor mat jam the gas pedal wide open. Not fun but I stood on the brake to keep things under control until I figured out what the problem was.

I installed a hook to hold the floor mat in place. Never thought to blame the car maker or engineer.

MitchellC
MitchellC HalfDork
11/26/09 10:42 a.m.
iceracer wrote: Maybe all cars should have an emergency kill switch.

Now now, Toyota drivers aren't always the most mechanically inclined, but it doesn't mean we have to kill them.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Dork
11/26/09 11:42 a.m.

seeing as floor mats are an addition to a car now instead of a standard, I can see the aftermarket problem. I agree with you Dr. Boost, the ergonomics of some of these new cars, and the position of the pedals, seat position, and dash in relation to knees is ridiculous. But that's what you get when you hire engineers who graduated at the top of their class but haven't a clue as to what happens in the real world.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro HalfDork
11/26/09 7:44 p.m.
iceracer wrote: Apparently it wasn't a Toyota floor mat,but a heavy rubber aftermarket mat. Maybe all cars should have an emergency kill switch.

Yeah, like a thing you could turn to shut the car off!

Shawn

4eyes
4eyes Reader
11/26/09 10:43 p.m.

Trucks shouldn't have carpet in the first place! Then there would be no need for floor mats

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
11/27/09 8:48 a.m.

Having watched the news last night, it seems as though there's some speculation that the problem might not be with the floor mats, but with the drive by wire. Otherwise, like wayslow said, install a hook (like some BMWs) or some freaking velcro ferchrissake.

Funniest part of the whole news bit: The recalls won't start rolling in until march or april. Until then, Toyota suggests that people start "Practicing shifting into neutral." Really? They think this is a smart idea for the numbtarded masses who can't figure out how to grab the floormat and pull it off the accelerator...or turn the key off. And seriously, why the berkeley not say "We recommend people REMOVE THE berkeleying FLOORMAT until they can bring the car in for service."

jeebus.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/27/09 9:25 a.m.

The news here said that the dealers would cut the bottom of you gas pedal off until they could replace it. then they said tune in tommorow to find out if you child's crib is a death trap. Nothing like causing a little panic before bed.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
11/27/09 11:17 a.m.

SO this really isn't a toyota problem and they're taking care of it...

Yeah what a crap company.

Geez and they want to buy back a bunch of trucks with rusty frames that are out of warranty...

Holy Crap.. They really suck....

xci_ed6
xci_ed6 Reader
11/27/09 6:19 p.m.

What was wrong with cables?

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/27/09 6:40 p.m.

Newsflash here speculator peoples.... The 4 people that died in Cali was because of the factory Toyota floormat, NOT an aftermarket one. Second, over 2-dozen deaths have been blamed on this, some without floormats. It does sound like the accelerator is a bad design and/or the drive-by-wire is going nuts (which is why I will never own one of those...). Toyota tried to sweep it under a rug by blaming it on aftermarket floor mats. The NHSTA was taking the bait until the lawsuits hit.

Go read before you speculate.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
11/27/09 7:49 p.m.
P71 wrote: Newsflash here speculator peoples.... The 4 people that died in Cali was because of the factory *Toyota* floormat, *NOT* an aftermarket one. Second, over 2-dozen deaths have been blamed on this, some *without* floormats. It does sound like the accelerator is a bad design and/or the drive-by-wire is going nuts (which is why I will never own one of those...). Toyota tried to sweep it under a rug by blaming it on aftermarket floor mats. The NHSTA was taking the bait until the lawsuits hit. Go read before you speculate.

And P71's killed how many police officers?

mtn
mtn SuperDork
11/28/09 1:27 a.m.

yeah... I'm gonna go ahead and say that in the case of anyone who was killed by the floormat/accelerator thing... uh... well, Darwin's theory at work here. How hard is it to turn off the car? Or shift to neutral?

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/28/09 1:47 a.m.

In some of the articles it sounds like HAL won't let you turn the ignition off or shift the tranny if the car is at speed.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WzSK4Nbtte05hj65tmB04dztK47mHMQvwGohWKgGmRIe1IefQOkuFwDdWyTLGvGh