SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
4/6/17 11:32 p.m.

Nope

crankwalk
crankwalk Dork
4/7/17 12:17 a.m.

Reuters

We can all take comfort in knowing that OTHER candidate said she would have done the same EXACT thing.

See Americans, they can agree on some things!

Did I keep that vague enough to not get deleted?

jmthunderbirdturbo
jmthunderbirdturbo HalfDork
4/7/17 1:00 a.m.

i dont know if we should have been the ones to do it. i dont know if it will have any impact on the situation. i dont know if this will blow back on us or not.

i do know that if it was my kids who got blasted from sarin gas and bleach bombs, and then someone came in and blew up the planes that were dropping the bombs, id be fine with that, completely independent of other related factors.

the punch line is civil war is ugly. with unstable, poor regimes and generations of poor education and borderline idiotic tradition, its not really surprising this area has been at some kind of war for the last 5000 years.

was this the absolute best solution? likely not. will this make it orders of magnitude worse, altering the course of Syria and the U.S. for decades? also likely not.

but at the end of the day, at the bare minimum, we wont wake up tomorrow morning to more babies convulsing from chemical bombs being dropped on them from their own government, and if that's the only good to come of this, i'm okay with that too.

all we can do is send up a prayer to who ever we think is listening out there, and hope the violence, ignorance, and civil unrest ends someday.

-J0N

oh, and stop blathering on like a moron about the price of the tomahawks. we would have bought em anyways, and we would have launched em into the sea and called it training, so why not blast some planes dropping sarin gas on civilians? if you are against it, you are against it, but bitching about the price of the missiles is about as drool cup juvenile pedantic as one can get.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/7/17 1:02 a.m.
KyAllroad wrote: Nothing good will come of this.

Raytheon/McDonnell Douglas makes the missles.

They are going to need some more.

Somebody's keeping their job.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/7/17 1:07 a.m.

Honestly, that place is such a E36 M3 storm, throwing a few more turds on pile will likely amount to nothing.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
4/7/17 5:26 a.m.

I just woke up to this news. Going back to bed before I type something I should not.

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
4/7/17 6:50 a.m.

Wonder if it's more of a message to China about n Korea.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/7/17 7:01 a.m.

Half assed wars.

I'm not sure whether we should sit back and watch the world burn or change the name to the United Empire and just take the places over.

The in between crap doesn't work.

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
4/7/17 7:02 a.m.

Should have launched one more, you know, just because 60 is a nice, round number.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/7/17 7:09 a.m.

It was only 59 because the last one was a conscientious objector.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
4/7/17 7:14 a.m.

On a selfish note; has the price if has gone up yet?

Edit:...price of gas...

KyAllroad
KyAllroad PowerDork
4/7/17 7:23 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh : I think you meant to write "oil" there, and yes. Oil prices spiked and are climbing.

WilD
WilD HalfDork
4/7/17 7:24 a.m.

Was hoping for thread about antique axe collection, leaves disappointed.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
4/7/17 7:26 a.m.

If had an overnight pop but the gain is down to about 1%. Checking this was my first check on the seriousness. Oil traders are paying way more attention to the politics of this than I ever could.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
4/7/17 7:27 a.m.

In reply to WilD:

I think it would be a good band name though...

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/7/17 7:33 a.m.

I've never heard of this fellow before (and he is obviously left-leaning), but he has an interesting theory...

The whole Syria situation is a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation... after 8 years of "don't policy", it appears Trump decided to put our money where the POTUS mouth is...

trucke
trucke Dork
4/7/17 7:36 a.m.

Trump should have tossed the issue into the UN's lap. They're completely inept. Then pull US funding of the UN because of it.

It's a bad situation, but we can no longer be the world police.

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
4/7/17 7:47 a.m.
trucke wrote: Trump should have tossed the issue into the UN's lap. They're completely inept. Then pull US funding of the UN because of it. It's a bad situation, but we can no longer be the world police.

This!

Why do we have to be the world goddamn police?

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
4/7/17 7:50 a.m.

Can someone please explain the distinction and outrage over the means of destruction?

So... it's fine if you blow civilians to bits with conventional explosives. We can tolerate that. That only kills, blinds, deafens, burns or dismembers them. Fine. That's fair. Rock on with your bad self. But, bitch, you berkeley with their central nervous systems or burn them with something other than fire? Oh, man. You sir have crossed a line! WE must do something!

Does it not seem like an arbitrary line in the sand? The victims are still dead or ruined either way.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
4/7/17 7:53 a.m.
Nick (Bo) Comstock wrote: In reply to WilD: I think it would be a good band name though...

I'm in- 59 Tomahawks, the GRM punk band. Our first album will be called "Flounder"

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
4/7/17 7:58 a.m.
RealMiniParker wrote:
trucke wrote: Trump should have tossed the issue into the UN's lap. They're completely inept. Then pull US funding of the UN because of it. It's a bad situation, but we can no longer be the world police.
This! Why do we have to be the world goddamn police?

Cause being the worlds police makes you this guy:

“Yea though I walk through the Valley of the shadow of Death, I shall fear no evil...because I am the meanest motherberkeleyer in the Valley.”

And if you relinquish the job, there are others who are more than willing to do the job on their terms.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad PowerDork
4/7/17 8:04 a.m.
NOHOME wrote:
RealMiniParker wrote:
Cause being the worlds police makes you this guy: “Yea though I walk through the Valley of the shadow of Death, I shall fear no evil...because I am the meanest motherberkeleyer in the Valley.” And if you relinquish the job, there are others who are more than willing to do the job on their terms.

Sort of true, the problem is that for 40+ years we've boon doing so with the goal of maintaining the status quo. Unless we change our goals and tactics we're doomed to continue getting the same results.

See Toymans post above for a better way.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
4/7/17 8:08 a.m.
NOHOME wrote:
RealMiniParker wrote:
Cause being the worlds police makes you this guy: “Yea though I walk through the Valley of the shadow of Death, I shall fear no evil...because I am the meanest motherberkeleyer in the Valley.” And if you relinquish the job, there are others who are more than willing to do the job on their terms.

Sadly, this. I'm not sure Mr. Putin would make a better world police chief, at least from out point of view. And, I fear, somebody has to do the job, because there are an awful lot of halfwits out there who would go nuts otherwise.

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
4/7/17 8:09 a.m.

Looks for the Trump Twitter post from 2013 saying this would be a bad idea....

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3NfmqHgUAuF5M12aFbs7SixKmSeihn12o63hrylFVPr7kJZlmyf57qrEISDQoFuM