1 2
wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/13/22 10:16 p.m.

Last time I asked about quitting smoking, yall were a holes and got the thread locked...

I have gone 7.5 (will be 8 days at 6am tomorrow) without smoking.

The new nicotine pouches are super helpful.  I am trying.

Weirdly, I've been nice and helpful during this time.  More so than when I was smoking. 

What's the deal?

Can we keep this civilized and leave the comments about how bad and gross smoking is to your own mind?  Be supportive.   Tell us how you were amazing and quit smoking yourself, and why.

Thanks yall!

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
10/13/22 10:23 p.m.

Not a smoker but just wanted to say good work! Keep at it. My dad's best help was changing his routine. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
10/13/22 10:29 p.m.

Quit in my early 30's.  I bought 100 of the "this is my last pack" and finally said it's got to go.  

Nothing from today on, young man.  No "one at the bar", no chew, chaw, 1/2 a ciggy, or vape and never that Michael Jordan victory cigar.  Shoot - even those candy cigarettes are dangerous.

You got this man, just tell yourself you'll never smoke a thing.  It does get easier.  

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
10/13/22 10:34 p.m.

I tried to smoke back in school. So glad it didn't take. 
I know for a fact I could quit the addiction, despite how bad that is to beat... 

I also know, for a fact, I could NEVER quit the habit!

So glad I was done before addicted.  

I missed the one that got locked, but no mater what any one thinks of the habit, non of that is productive to you, and I wish you all the best. 

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
10/13/22 10:40 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

After school, I would still smoke from time to time out at the bar (common problem for folks trying to quit) 

My roommate and bar hopping buddy at the time was a heavy smoker with lung problems at 28. One night I bummed a cig from him, and as I started to light it, he snatched it outa my mouth! Said "you know I don't mind ya bumming one. But bad as I want to quit, I ain't gonna sit beside you, and watch you smoke when you want to and not when ya don't!" 40 years ago, and have not lit one since!

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
10/13/22 10:44 p.m.

Keep it up. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
10/13/22 10:47 p.m.

Keep at it, it's tough to break. My last one cigarette was in 1991 and I still get cravings if I have a few drinks and someone lights up. I do smoke a few cigars a year though...

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/13/22 10:48 p.m.

berkeley yeah, man!  You got this E36 M3!

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
10/13/22 10:49 p.m.

I quit three packs a day when i got the lung tumor. 

Glad you're doing it way healthier than me! It gets easier after the first few weeks, however i tapered off with a vape. Purely to prevent divorce or prison time.

mattm
mattm GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/13/22 10:51 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:

Keep at it, it's tough to break. My last one cigarette was in 1991 and I still get cravings if I have a few drinks and someone lights up. I do smoke a few cigars a year though...

Keep it up.  Legend says if you make it to two weeks, your body no longer craves it.  I don't know how true that is, but I used vape to get to zero nicotine and then just stopped.  One of the best things I ever did, and like Steve, I have a few cigars a year.  They aren't the same as a cigarette, but it's an indulgence I allow myself.  Good luck, it is truly better on this side.  I no longer have dreams where I smoke.  That took 5 years.

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/13/22 10:53 p.m.

You got this! Made it through the first week, so stay strong brother!  

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/13/22 10:57 p.m.

Wow!  This is totally different than my last post about asking how to  quit.

Thanks yall!

I am still at the stage that if somebody has a Cuban Cohiba,  I'm gonna ask for a puff or two, but not have an entire stick.  Logically, that tells me I'm not through this yet.

Thanks for the kind words and support!

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
10/13/22 11:15 p.m.

I quit a pack and a half day habit 22 years ago after a quadruple bypass. It was one of the most difficult things I've ever done, even though I was highly motivated.

Good luck.

Don Fip
Don Fip GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/14/22 1:10 a.m.

Keep at it, you got this!

I went to vapes, then nicorrette (fruit chill FTW), then regular gum.  Mornings were always the hardest so started drinking coffee around the time I started nicorrete.

Push through about a month or so and when your smell and taste come back it'll be so worth it.

Gettingoldercarguy
Gettingoldercarguy GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/14/22 1:19 a.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

Congratulations and you've got this!  Helluva accomplishment making it a week.  I've got family members who have struggled with quitting.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/14/22 1:30 a.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

Berk yeah, dood!

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/14/22 7:38 a.m.

Great Job. I quit about a decade ago now. It was life changing in a good way. Keep at it and keep looking at the big picture. Lung Cancer and Heart disease suck. 

You got this!!

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/14/22 7:46 a.m.

Quitting is super hard, and making it even a week is something to be proud of. I have been 13 years since I quit and I am so glad I did. Like Steve sometimes I still have a craving but it is infrequent these days and if you can make it through the first week you can pass the rest of the cravings. 

You will never regret quitting!

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/14/22 7:58 a.m.

Keep at it. 

I smoked from the age of 16 until I was 46. 30 years of 2-3 packs a day. Over that time I tried all kinds of tricks to quit. In the end, it's just a case of making up your mind and doing it. I'm 55 now, so 9 years without a cigarette. The smoker's cough, the smelly clothes, the smelly car, and the headaches are gone. My blood pressure no longer hits the 200/100 range. Just in health benefits, it's worth the withdrawal, keep up the good work. We will all be pulling for you.

I still love the smell of tobacco in just about any form. I can smell it in traffic coming from the car in front of me. These days, I have a couple of cigars a week while sitting on the porch with a coffee or drink but I can take it or leave it. It's no longer the craving that was literally life-controlling. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/14/22 8:08 a.m.

One day I was grabbing some beer at a convenience store and at the check out I asked myself if I needed to buy cigs. Thought I had enough at home so I didn't. Got home and a little later went to smoke one to discover I only had two left. Got mad at myself for not buying some at the store. Then said wait. Why am I mad at myself for not buying something that could kill me?  I smoked those two and haven't had one since. That was 20 years ago. As Steve said sometimes if I smell the smoke of one my brain will say hey I want a cig but after the first two weeks it got a lot easier to say no. 

Glad for you and keep it up. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/14/22 8:10 a.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

Good luck!  All I hear is how hard it is to do what you are doing, and it's pretty obvious that you have a lot of support here to steel your resolve to finish.  

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
10/14/22 8:31 a.m.

Nice job dude, way to take control of yourself!

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/14/22 8:38 a.m.

Nicotine is one of the nastiest chemicals to quit. Luckily i never got on tobacco really, but have about made myself sick from smoking a fresh cigar from puerto rico. So much nicotine. It was wild. unpleasant. 

In my reading of addiction of opiates (and other stuff i have never done and dont want to do), and other anecdotal info, people could be on everything, heroin, cocaine, meth, whatever, all the big nasties, the ones that got right and cleaned up were able to kick all those "extreme" drugs, but they were NOT able to quit tobacco. It was too strong.  Its crazy strong, dont feel bad about it. 

When i went from drinking every day to deciding to cold stop, the biggest thing was breaking the habit as was mentioned earlier. It was instinct. Get home, grab a beer. Go to the garage, grab a beer. Going to walmart? Grab a few beers. I took a cooler everywhere and had PLENTY of encouragement to be the beer guy.  i had to just be conscious of those habits to help stop. 

also i have knows many people who quit via vaping.  Good luck Sir! You have a good group in your corner for support. Talking about it helps tremendously. Even just you verbally saying it out loud so you hear yourself with your own ears. When you want one or instinctively go to grab one, out loud tell yourself you are NOT going to have a cig, go do something else. Chew on a celery stick. 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/14/22 8:41 a.m.
NY Nick said:

You will never regret quitting!

This needs to be repeated. 

It is life-changing and well worth the effort. Quitting is like being set free. It's amazing how much time and money it saves day to day. With prices where they are now, if you smoke like I did, it will put about $2k a year in your pocket. 

slefain
slefain UltimaDork
10/14/22 9:59 a.m.

Keep it up, you can do it!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ockOXUbml6HAoHVFgLiDKqUxnWRcmI62S0tVQHWS3wYXAL7sdK9GN3ZIk9CU6W9t