1 2
stroker
stroker PowerDork
10/14/22 10:06 a.m.

I quit about a month ago.  But I was only smoking one a day, so it wasn't too big of a transition.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/14/22 10:17 a.m.

Keep at it! 

I've tried to get my dad to stop for years, but he's an even more honery person than I am. He's smoked from 14 to now in January will be 71. Still smokes a pack a day. 

EDIT: I just looked it up, apparently spelling it that way is a southern thing, but I never really thought of Oklahoma as being "southern." The more you know I guess.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/14/22 10:20 a.m.

I quit not long after I got married, much easier if your mate doesn't smoke!  Hang in there, you won't regret the benefits like at the annual physical and you answer NO to all the questions.  Besides, take the money you'd spend on smokes and hide it somewhere, in two years you go buy a nice car.  =~ )

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/14/22 10:22 a.m.

Congrats on making it 8 days! Keep it up!!

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
10/14/22 10:49 a.m.

Repeat after me:

"I hate Sir Walter Raleigh"

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
10/14/22 11:32 a.m.

Nice job - it killed my mom and I'm glad to hear you're quitting before she did

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/21/22 5:46 p.m.

15 days.  Still haven't smoked.

Wanted too pretty badly a few times.

Whoo hoo!

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/21/22 5:55 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

That is so great. Getting past 2 weeks is huge! Keep up the good work!

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
10/21/22 6:04 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

Badass. Keep it up.

Never been there, but my grandfather shared the story of how he quit using the power of procrastination.

He didn't try to make it through a whole day. Just kept putting it off a little bit longer. He'd wait until work was over. Then he'd wait until he got outside the building. Then he'd wait until he was in the car. Then he'd wait until he got home. Then he'd wait until he took his shoes off. Then he'd wait until... and just kept pushing it back another 30 minutes until a month had gone past.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Dork
10/21/22 6:19 p.m.
914Driver said:

I quit not long after I got married, much easier if your mate doesn't smoke!  Hang in there, you won't regret the benefits like at the annual physical and you answer NO to all the questions.  Besides, take the money you'd spend on smokes and hide it somewhere, in two years you go buy a nice car.  =~ )

My brother bought a Toyota on what he was spending every couple days on cigarettes. He quit about 5 years ago and I figure he's got another 5 years of use on his paid off appliance car. 

Good luck op, your past two weeks that's a great start. 

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
10/21/22 6:22 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

Congratulations and keep up the great work!   

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/21/22 8:59 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

You are awesome!!

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
10/21/22 9:52 p.m.

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/22/22 7:36 a.m.

I have been tobacco free since 2019. But, I am still nicotine dependent with the pouches. I am OK with that for now. My gums are much better off than the tobacco pouches. 

I smoked for years, quit, got drunk one night and started again, realized I did not want to kill my lungs and started pouches, wanted away from tobacco and was turned on to a swede website that had all kinds of nicotine salt pouches and never looked back.

You got this.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
10/22/22 9:21 a.m.

That's fantastic!

I was a 5 pack a day smoker. Quitting was one of the hardest things I've ever done. 

I think the worst part of it was admitting to myself that it had control over me. I couldn't beat it easily. It was a pride thing. 

I didn't see all those fantastic promises results, like "You food will taste better" and "You will be able to run up and down stairs". All I wanted was a cigarette. It was over a year before I started seeing some of those advantages, but worth it. 

I had to do a lot of dumb things to quit. Smoking cessation classes, take on other habits (like breath mints that came in a flip-top box).  I had to give up coffee and beer (because I didn't know how to drink those without smoking).  I gave up a lot of friends. I borrowed someone else's truck (because mine didn't seem to want to start until I lit up). I even gave everyone I knew gift certificates for Christmas that I would quit smoking (so they would hold me accountable). 

I felt totally foolish. 

That was 30 years ago. Haven't smoked since, but honestly I still crave them every once in a while. 

All I can say is quitting is TOTALLY worth it.   KEEP IT UP!!

(Oh... and kissing is a lot more fun!!)

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
10/22/22 9:26 a.m.

Oh, another good thing I did that helped me quit...

Every time I broke my streak and had a cigarette, it felt like I had failed. Like all my efforts were worthless because I lost my streak, and I might as well go back to smoking. THATS NOT TRUE!!

Instead of focusing on the failures, I started counting how many cigarettes I DIDN'T smoke. As a 5 pack a day smoker, it added up. So, if I went three days and broke down and had a cigarette, instead of kicking myself for having 1 cigarette, I reminded myself that I had NOT smoked 299 cigarettes in those 3 days. 

That helped me view it as a success, not a failure. And the next time I went 4 days.

Keep up the good work!!

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/22/22 11:20 a.m.

In reply to SV reX :

Exactly, focus on the successes.

I had to "quit" about four times before I was finally done with each cycle having shorter periods on and longer periods off.

The OP mentioned being treated poorly the first time he posted about his efforts to quit.

We all fear death and find comfort in convincing ourselves that we won't suffer the same fate as others.

Hating on smokers gives non smokers hope...smokers die, we don't smoke so we have nothing to worry about.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GlktawqkbA9iczSNDyKuQCKmKoW7L11i1rdHEwFttXNRG5WVqhyKgwPAeo69OuCn