DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Reader
8/5/08 10:44 a.m.

Supposedly this guy works in the field of oil(not an oil field) and is constantly testing stuff like this out. I may try it out just for the hell of it. If my engine goes....hurray time for a nasty build up!!!

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91206

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
8/5/08 11:28 a.m.

From an environmental standpoint, my intuition says this is probably a pretty bad thing to do...emissions-wise.

Clem

modernbeat
modernbeat HalfDork
8/5/08 11:55 a.m.

Short term it may be good, but oil in the intake tract build up into sludge and in the combustion chamber as coke. That's the conditions that people use ATF and Seafoam to get rid of.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/5/08 12:15 p.m.

Is it O2 sensor friendly? I kind of doubt it....

Nashco
Nashco Dork
8/5/08 12:30 p.m.

As mentioned, burning oil is no good for things like catalytic converters and O2 sensors. Between the price of the 2 stroke oil and the price of fixing the problems this causes, you'd have to see some SERIOUS fuel economy improvements to justify it.

Bryce

ManofFewWords
ManofFewWords New Reader
8/5/08 1:47 p.m.

2 stroke oil is commonly used in diesel engines for its lubricity. Depending on the additive I have seen up to a 2 mpg increase ( almost 20%).

ManofFewWords
ManofFewWords New Reader
8/5/08 1:47 p.m.

2 stroke oil is commonly used in diesel engines for its lubricity. Depending on the additive I have seen up to a 2 mpg increase ( almost 20%).

iceracer
iceracer New Reader
8/5/08 2:07 p.m.

I have been using Marvel Mystery oil as an upper cylinder lube. It has,so far, shown no negative affects. It is in such small amounts, 4oz to 15 gal. gas. I know several people who have been using 2 cycle oil and have seen no problems. As far as increasing mpg, I doubt that it has any affect.

skruffy
skruffy Dork
8/5/08 2:32 p.m.

Unless you're also changing the fuel trim when you add this oil there's no way it can have a significant impact on mileage. Still takes the same amount of fuel and air to move your car as it did before.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Reader
8/5/08 5:14 p.m.

Well with such small amounts as 1oz per 5 gallons I don't think it'll do much damage or much good. Like I said it's worth a shot, and E36 M3 like seafoam...well it ruined my cats, fouled my plugs, and destroyed both front 02 sensors. I'm def going to try and it soon. I'm going to completely top off my tank, calculate my mpgs ect. Then I'll run this stuff through a few tanks, test it after a few and see if it has any effect at all. I pretty much drive the car the same way, every day, every week. So the control and test won't be to far off.

ManofFewWords
ManofFewWords New Reader
8/5/08 5:58 p.m.

Skruffy, I disagree and I'm curious as to how you came to this conclusion. I have driven my 94 3500hd 6.5 diesel over 40 thousand miles. I can assure you that mileage varies greatly in regards to quality of fuel, temperature, condition of filters , etc. Any real diesel head will tell you the same. My 86 Jetta diesel is a little less sensitive.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/5/08 6:50 p.m.

The only car I've ever put 2-stroke oil into the gas is a rotary...

...and there it DEFINITELY helps!

Nashco
Nashco Dork
8/5/08 6:52 p.m.

ManofFewWords, how do you figure that you're getting 20% more energy to the wheels by changing 1% of your fuel out for magical fuel? The additive doesn't contain any more energy than the regular fuel, so where does the new energy come from? The additive isn't changing the temperature, condition of filters, etc. but it is changing the fuel. In order for that 1% of your fuel to give a 20% increase in energy, it would have to contain a huge amount of energy, and marvel mystery oil (or 2 stroke oil, or $uper additive) just doesn't have that kind of energy.

For reference, using veggie oil in my diesel I get within 10% of the fuel economy than I would with ULSD. That's with 100% of my fuel being waste vegetable oil, so there's a significant difference in fuel being used and still a minor change in fuel economy. As science would have it, WVO has about 10% less energy density as diesel, go figure. Any "real diesel head" who uses additives to improve fuel economy is also a misinformed diesel head. Additives can help some things, fuel economy is not one of them.

Bryce

ManofFewWords
ManofFewWords New Reader
8/5/08 7:10 p.m.

I cannot disagree with you more, but I appreciate your input.

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
8/5/08 7:55 p.m.

well, when it takes less friction to spin the engine, energy saved is energy earned

slefain
slefain Dork
8/6/08 7:43 a.m.

I was thinking that maybe the 2-stroke oil acts as some sort of ghetto octane booster, making the fuel mixture harder to light off. In that way, a car with a knock sensor could advance the timing a bit.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
8/6/08 7:54 a.m.

Ringding dirt bikes are plagued by deposit buildup. They also run a good bit hotter combustion temperatures due to the oil burning hotter than straight gas. Those aren't neccessarily good things.

Add to that a predisposition to pre ignition (pinging or knocking) and I'm not real sure I see a big benefit to 2 smoker oil in a 4 stroke motor. I don't see where it would destroy it, but I don't see enough potential benefit to offset the added cost.

For all you diesel heads hout there running biodiesel: we have a Liberty diesel in the shop that the guy has been running on homemade biodiesel. It wouldn't start one morning, so he had it towed in. It appears to have all 4 injectors stuck and there is a lot of black sticky goo in the fuel rail. The injectors are $1K each and no that's not a fat finger. $1000.00 each. The prevailing theory is the biodiesel had some sort of caustic cleaner in it, probably from a lazy restaraunt cleaning crew dumping cleaning chemicals into the grease drums.

suprf1y
suprf1y New Reader
8/6/08 8:41 a.m.

Do the math guys. The premix ratio he is recomending is 640-1.

I can't believe it does anything.

ManofFewWords
ManofFewWords New Reader
8/6/08 9:36 a.m.

If you're bored here's a thread about additives, including 2 stroke oil. http://dieseltowingresource.com/showthread.php?t=1989

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Reader
8/6/08 9:51 a.m.

As the dude states in one of his post in that thread, it won't do anything after the first tank of gas, you will see results over the long run.

Nashco
Nashco Dork
8/6/08 2:32 p.m.
ManofFewWords wrote: If you're bored here's a thread about additives, including 2 stroke oil. http://dieseltowingresource.com/showthread.php?t=1989

Note that the only person in that thread that says they see improved fuel economy with an additive also SELLS the additive (Diesel Plus, in this case). Coincidence? Yeah, right! Nobody else makes any claims of improved fuel economy, rather they're worried about lubricity.

Jensenman, out of curiosity, was the Jeep running B100? Was it homemade or bought at the pump? I saw a Liberty diesel yesterday, they're fairly rare around here...heard something spool up from my blind spot in the Fiero but I knew there was just a Liberty back there so I did a double WTF? Then it clicked, took me a second to even remember the diesel version.

Bryce

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
8/6/08 2:39 p.m.

He's running homemade and IIRC it's B90. We have other folks running biodiesel and they seem to be doing fine. That's why we think he got some nasty crap in a load of homemade fuel.

One of my buds has an F250 diesel and he occasionally runs bio, he says contaminated homemade bio is a hot topic on a lot of the diesel boards.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/7/08 8:31 a.m.

Contaminated with water?

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
8/7/08 8:39 a.m.

Not as far as we can tell. He's been running the homebrew stuff for a while and seems to know what he's doing. That's why we think there was something in the last batch that he wasn't expecting.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Reader
8/7/08 10:07 a.m.
slefain wrote: I was thinking that maybe the 2-stroke oil acts as some sort of ghetto octane booster, making the fuel mixture harder to light off. In that way, a car with a knock sensor could advance the timing a bit.

Actually, oil in the combustion chamber has the opposite effect. Spark engines become more ping-prone.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Y9lsefUUamOMqlN1mlTbmRx8DZap07VFS9jTS7i8uI2YRM0IoXzz7hvdHHdislLz