Track 9

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/6/22 6:57 p.m.

Have we discussed The Crown yet?

David S. Wallens
6/6/22 7:07 p.m.

And Concrete, my cousin's band. smiley (He's the one in black with the beard.)

PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/6/22 7:58 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I saw the Crown about 20 years ago in a small club in Aniheim, CA .  I bought 2 of their CDs. 

David S. Wallens
6/6/22 8:33 p.m.

In reply to PMRacing :

I wish I had found them back then. How was the show? The album's just brutal. 

PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/6/22 8:55 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I was a cheap fresh out of college kid living in CA and racing. They were good enough for me to buy their CD so I must have loved the show.

paranoid_android (Forum Forumer)
paranoid_android (Forum Forumer) UberDork
6/10/22 10:05 p.m.

Can't stop listening to these guys, I believe they are from Florida.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/16/22 11:36 p.m.

It's  not dusty in here, you're dusty in here

Played "live style" not album style.

Also: wah pedal on cello??

Pete. (l33t FS)
10/6/22 10:54 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS)
10/7/22 5:38 p.m.

Best day evar

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/7/22 5:44 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

berkeley yeah wah pedal on cello.  that was metal.

David S. Wallens
10/8/22 1:27 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Metal AF. 

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/8/22 4:36 p.m.

Ironmaiden is in town tomarrow. (Detroit) Tickets are $80. Should I?

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/8/22 6:02 p.m.

In reply to Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) :

I hate big arena shows, but if Maiden was here I'd pay $80 to go see them from the nosebleed seats. 

David S. Wallens
10/8/22 6:42 p.m.
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) said:

Ironmaiden is in town tomarrow. (Detroit) Tickets are $80. Should I?

Totally yes.

Scream for me, Detroit!!

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/9/22 12:08 a.m.

Alright I'm goin!

Wish you could get real tickets instead of the electronic system so you can have a stub to collect.

David S. Wallens
10/10/22 9:55 p.m.

In reply to Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) :

I do hear you there. (We're seeing Maiden later this month.)

When the "print at home" tickets were becoming the usual, we saw Devo/Blondie in St. Pete as a co-heading lining show. The people at the gate didn't even scan the printed the tickets. I felt a little gypped. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
10/10/22 10:57 p.m.

Picked this up the other day. Because King Diamond's Fatal Portrait is to Halloween as Bing Crosby's Merry Christmas is to the holiday season. This, King Diamond's Abigail, and Mercyful Fate's Don't Break The Oath will be in constant rotation for the next few weeks! 

Nockenwelle
Nockenwelle New Reader
10/27/22 10:46 a.m.

I just scored a copy of Black Sabbath's debut album from 1970 on CD  from the local record store! It's good, and I've been enjoying it. Does not seem very metal these days since there is harder stuff all over the FM pop stations, but then I think about how weird it would have been to hear this stuff in the era of brand-new LS6 Chevelle SSs, 'Nam and Nixon, with live hippies still roaming the streets.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
10/27/22 11:41 a.m.

In reply to Nockenwelle :

Yup. Led Zeppelin 1 came out before Abbey Road. Black Sabbath debuted before 'Let It Be' and 'Paranoid' dropped later that year. Deep Purple released 'Machine Head' the year after.

Before all that, the heaviest stuff people were listening to was probably Cream and Hendrix.

Was going to remark about how soft music was in '71, but that was a wild year for music with a bunch of stuff going on in every direction.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
10/27/22 5:11 p.m.

Black Sabbath's debut is still heavy as hell 50+ years later. I mean, the track Sleeping Village by itself pretty much invented Stoner Doom as a genre right there in 1969. 

Ozzy-era Sabbath is funny sometimes. Since the term Heavy Metal wasn't really applied to them yet, and they admittedly didn't consider themselves as such, they would have a really nice lighthearted track on the same album as something with planet-crushing riffs. For example: Vol. 4 has the song Changes, which is a great, emotional song, and then you have Cornucopia, which has a downtuned Iommi absolutely crushing your soul from the jump. And sometimes, you'll get it in the same song, like Symptom of the Universe, which goes from heavy-as-BERK to Ozzy blabbing about the "child of love's creation" or some other nonsense. laugh

Loweguy5
Loweguy5 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/27/22 11:23 p.m.

Patient Number 9 from Ozzy (and the old stuff), a LOT of Deep Purple, Spiritbox, Dream Theater, Ghost with a little Stryper for good (or bad) measure.

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Dork
11/3/22 3:06 p.m.

Aborted is playing here soon, and my wife and I are taking their drummer out to dinner before the show since we're friends. If you hear his drumming, that dude has machine guns for fingers, I swear.

No time to go to the actual show itself, since it's during the week and we have a toddler. Such is life. Cannibal Corpse is playing here soon as well, and they put on one hell of a show, but it's the same situation. It's on a Wednesday (iirc) so that's a no-go. Also, I'm an old man these days so I'm usually in bed by 9:30.

Currently listening to Archspire. They've got to be some of the most technically gifted musicians I've ever heard, and write pretty catchy music to boot. If you've never heard a song at 350 beats per minute, check out track one. If you'd like to see their drummer play it, give this a watch. It's quite impressive:

1 ... 9 10 11 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZF8984PgY1yW9V3BC25XdpkWfGix6VMIehh0Q1F9eO4x7FCquSD1SI5gPfzOLFF4