1 2 3 4
Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
12/31/17 5:45 p.m.

Its supposed to be around 0 in the morning after windchill. I ain't moved far enough south....

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
12/31/17 10:23 p.m.

I went running today.  The high was just below freezing.  I made it 9 miles.  How in the hell do people up north stay active?

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
12/31/17 10:45 p.m.

Workout inside.  The only way we can stay active in the winter here in PA is with the home gym we have in the basement.  Some people do run outside in the sun freezing, berkeley that, tried it and not interested 

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
12/31/17 11:10 p.m.

OCC no likey

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
1/1/18 12:54 a.m.

9 berkeleying degrees.  berkeley this E36 M3!!

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/1/18 5:06 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

I went running today.  The high was just below freezing.  I made it 9 miles.  How in the hell do people up north stay active?

Conditioning.

At the beginning of winter, 40 degrees and all bundled up makes me think, it's too cold out here!!

Two months later, it might be 20 degrees and I'd be out in a light jacket sitting on a snowbank working on brakes or something.  Then when it gets back up into the 40s it is like tee shirt time.

The hardest part is NOT being active.  It's easy to work up a sweat no matter how much you unlayer.  Then you get REALLY cold.  So the trick when doing heavy activity outside is to work just hard enough that you don't overheat.  Or haul ass nonstop and then go back inside immediately so your sweat doesn't turn into a giant heat-suck.

frenchyd
frenchyd Dork
1/1/18 5:47 a.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

14 below with a 34 below wind chill.  That’s still tolerable if you dress for it. Once temps drop into the minus 30 region with wind chill added ( or is it subtracted?) it gets painful to breathe even without a cold or other health issues 

Knurled.
1/1/18 5:58 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

The best I've ever dealt with sustained was -5ish when I was at Sno*Drift in 2010.  The year everything was glare ice.  (Studded tires are illegal in Michigan)  That was actually kind of fun.  We were allowed to leave the service van running for heat but I ended up walking around a lot instead.

What was funny was, our team principal had found himself a tire tractionizer.  So Friday night we were out in the middle of the road for about three hours tractionizing all of his tires, one at a time.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/1/18 6:38 a.m.

24 degrees on the Gulf Coast this morning with a heat(cold?) index of 11 degrees. I moved south to get away from this E36 M3 dammit. 

thestig99
thestig99 Dork
1/1/18 7:58 a.m.

I dunno what the wind chill is, but it's not pleasant. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/1/18 6:33 p.m.

13 deg but that was at 2:00 in the afternoon. Tonight is going to get chilly. 

jimbbski
jimbbski Dork
1/1/18 6:42 p.m.

It was -10  here this morning, that's just south of Chicago. It got up to +1 in the afternoon!

It's going to get even colder tonight!

Being retired is great!

I don't have to even go outside if I don't want to.

Well I do to fill my bird feeders.

The birds do get very hungry in this kind of weather.

Knurled.
1/1/18 6:58 p.m.

In reply to jimbbski :

We're going through suet packs at a ridiculous rate, too.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
1/1/18 8:45 p.m.
Sonic said:

Workout inside.  The only way we can stay active in the winter here in PA is with the home gym we have in the basement.  Some people do run outside in the sun freezing, berkeley that, tried it and not interested 

Yeah.  As an adult, I can deal with that for a few days.  But months at a time? Crazy.

Also, I cannot survive cooped up in the house with my 2 year old all day.  He needs to get out.  And gloves/hats/extreme cold gear does not work well on toddlers.  Thankfully there is an indoor play zone thingy in town that's open on New Years so we spent a few hours there today.

ArthurDent
ArthurDent HalfDork
1/1/18 9:38 p.m.

-37C this morning. That is -34.6F. Warmed up later in the day.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/2/18 9:32 a.m.
ProDarwin said:
Sonic said:

Yeah.  As an adult, I can deal with that for a few days.  But months at a time? Crazy.

Also, I cannot survive cooped up in the house with my 2 year old all day.  He needs to get out.  And gloves/hats/extreme cold gear does not work well on toddlers.  Thankfully there is an indoor play zone thingy in town that's open on New Years so we spent a few hours there today.

We go to the library often. Free, and they have an amazing children's area with lots of books, toys, play houses, etc.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
1/2/18 9:53 a.m.

This is silly, it's only a little colder in Antarctica than Lexington KY!!

I'm showing this to the first person who complains about the heat this summer.  Hot is tolerable, this Hoth business is just aweful. 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
1/2/18 10:28 a.m.

I don’t see how you people live in sub 0 locales.  It was 12 degrees the morning and that was tough enough for me.  

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/2/18 11:01 a.m.
spitfirebill said:

I don’t see how you people live in sub 0 locales.  It was 12 degrees the morning and that was tough enough for me.  

the difference between 70 and 50 is huge. The difference between 10 and -10 feels like almost nothing. Once it is cold, it's cold.

Wind, however, can go stuff itself just about any time of year. It just makes every temperature miserable.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
1/2/18 11:01 a.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) :

It's summer in Antarctica

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
1/2/18 11:06 a.m.

Wow, it has warmed up to 19F and tomorrow is supposed to get to 21F.  Then the weekend is back to the deep freeze with a high of -4F on Sat.

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
1/2/18 11:32 a.m.

Honda dash reports 11f. I'm officially too cold for this E36 M3. 

Dave
Dave Reader
1/2/18 11:43 a.m.
Robbie said:
spitfirebill said:

the difference between 70 and 50 is huge. The difference between 10 and -10 feels like almost nothing. Once it is cold, it's cold.

Wind, however, can go stuff itself just about any time of year. It just makes every temperature miserable.

Disagree. Once it gets close to -40 things just stop working right. Most mechanical and electrical pieces have a hard time. Any bit of exposed flesh freezes right away.

Knurled.
1/5/18 12:33 p.m.

Knurled.
1/5/18 6:15 p.m.

That was this morning when i started on the way to work.

Just started after work on the way home.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dDxVgbvqBL9iSTvOkjj7tzVxwyvR2bZn2gN4IpEsEpy0RdvpwRh4GpRje7Z7EwYW