oldsaw
oldsaw Reader
9/29/09 7:10 p.m.

To "Gunga Dan" Rather's career:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090929/tv_nm/us_rather_cbs_1

At one time, he was revered as a respected journalist; it was a well-deserved reputation.

Then, he threw it away by broadcasting a bogus report and was benched by CBS. He was paid six million a year, but sued the company because he claimed his talents were "under-used" and he could not pursue other gainful employment.

Hey, Dan, what's more gainful that sitting on your arse and raking-in a cool six mil? You could have spent that time writing a book, or at least employed a little introspection on how you destroyed your career .

Loser.

ManofFewWords
ManofFewWords Reader
9/29/09 7:31 p.m.

I think calling Dan Rather a loser is a bit harsh. I'm sure there are three sides to this story..

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
9/29/09 7:31 p.m.

Bitter much?

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
9/29/09 8:15 p.m.

The thing I like about Dan Rather is that both liberals and conservatives dislike him -- a good sign of someone who's actually thinking independently.

I also like that he may be batE36 M3 crazy, yet there he was filling the shoes of Cronkite, the most trusted man in America. What's the frequency, Kenneth?

I'm not sure if the two are related, but that's what I like about him.

GlennS
GlennS HalfDork
9/29/09 9:04 p.m.
oldsaw wrote: Hey, Dan, what's more gainful that sitting on your arse and raking-in a cool six mil? You could have spent that time writing a book, or at least employed a little introspection on how you destroyed your career . Loser.

Dan Rather is currently the Anchor of "Dan Rather Reports" on HDnet. He hasnt been sitting around doing nothing.

With the loss of Tim Russert and Dan Rather off of CBS there isnt much worth watching any more on mainstream american news..... at least the BBC is still around.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
9/29/09 9:38 p.m.

IIRC, his sources in the report where bogus, but the story turned out to be pretty close. It sucks that he was canned to appease the white house. Katie Courick(sp?) is awful.

GlennS
GlennS HalfDork
9/29/09 9:42 p.m.
neon4891 wrote: IIRC, his sources in the report where bogus, but the story turned out to be pretty close. It sucks that he was canned to appease the white house. Katie Courick(sp?) is awful.

oldsaw
oldsaw Reader
9/30/09 12:10 a.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: I also like that he may be batE36 M3 crazy, yet there he was filling the shoes of Cronkite, the most trusted man in America.

I grew-up during the times that "Uncle Walter" was the most trusted man in America. And, I watched and listened to Dan Rather as he deservedly rose through the ranks of broadcast journalism.

Ultimately, he jumped the shark, succummbing (as did all) by deferring to ABC and its' choice to appoint Roone Arledge (to manage the "news" division) in the search for ratings and revenue, not journalistic integrity.

Then, he allowed the pursuit of ratings OR his ideological mandates to subvert his job , which was to present facts and let the evidence stand. That is a concept sadly lacking in journalism today.

IMHO, an HDnet gig doesn't quite have the "provenance" of CBS Evening News anchor.

Doc_1
Doc_1 New Reader
9/30/09 8:13 p.m.

Dan is the perfect example of a "taking head" Big mouth and zero brains. I am surprised he does not drown when it rains, The perfect Darwin idiot

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Reader
9/30/09 9:30 p.m.
GlennS said: ..... at least the BBC is still around

^^+100 I am not a big consumer of television news and I'm not old enought to remember the "glory days" of american TV journalism, but the more I watch the BBC the more I don't understand why people waist so much time with american network world news coverage. The BBC sometimes covers US domestic news better than the domestic networks too.

MitchellC
MitchellC HalfDork
9/30/09 9:37 p.m.

My main source of news is NPR, and I read the NYTimes when I remember to pick it up ("free" thanks to student government on campus). Compared to these two, the rest of the freely available news seems like sensationalism.

GlennS
GlennS HalfDork
9/30/09 11:28 p.m.
Doc_1 wrote: Dan is the perfect example of a "taking head" Big mouth and zero brains. I am surprised he does not drown when it rains, The perfect Darwin idiot

Would you care to expand on this idea?

Adding a picture of Lara Logan in just because.

Oh Lara, you can report to me any time!

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
10/1/09 4:57 a.m.

I think Acorn did it.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/1/09 6:41 a.m.

I blame Dick Cheney for everything. If someone wants to they could use him for this as well.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gjDnfoQiYGtpZVXk8UuC2ZC4Nyl0g9VWPzQODfgwyKVxTCuhWuoVRT0RbIX1wQNO