carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
8/7/12 4:47 p.m.

Proposing some limits to Section 8 housing.

"I would argue it's not appropriate to encourage or allow people to take something that was supposed to be temporary help for the truly needy and turn it into a permanent way of life with respect to housing, which was the reasoning for the time limits," Chabot said.

Could that mean a change in attitude about welfare in general is coming our way?

http://www.housingwire.com/news/ohio-congressman-challenges-existing-provisions-section-8-housing

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/7/12 4:49 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: Could that mean a change in attitude about welfare in general is coming our way?

For all of our sakes, I really hope so, or we'll all be in Section 8 housing soon...

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade SuperDork
8/7/12 4:56 p.m.

It's a nice idea, but there honestly has to be some option for these people.

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
8/7/12 5:17 p.m.
DoctorBlade wrote: It's a nice idea, but there honestly has to be some option for these people.

"I would argue it's not appropriate to encourage or allow people to take something that was supposed to be temporary help for the truly needy and turn it into a permanent way of life with respect to housing, which was the reasoning for the time limits," Chabot said.

Help them learn to fish.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
8/7/12 5:18 p.m.

Errr...maybe a job? If you're actually permanently disabled, perhaps section 8 is for you. If you're capable of earning income, but choose not to, well, perhaps living on the streets with no gubmnt teet will teach you the folly in your ways.

Otoh, I prefer pie.

PHeller
PHeller SuperDork
8/7/12 5:52 p.m.

I work in planning. It is scary how many Section 8 housing complexes are being built with no access to public transit, nearest low-skill job opportunities are 5 miles away, and within some of the worst school districts.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CdWjX2S6Re0VN8LW76Q3R0gEMEM6wKHecbn3terJydIKZxb8MY7cOXZXaQVZbu1W