1 2
kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
11/24/18 7:47 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

Thanks for succinctly summarizing the 2 paragraphs I typed out and decided not to post.  

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/24/18 8:41 p.m.

Both sides are wrong but I prefer the police be held to a certain standard of behavior even if it means the criminal sometimes gets away. The use of potentially lethal force should only happen if there’s an imminent threat to innocent people, not to recover a stolen scooter.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/24/18 10:05 p.m.

I for one, applaud zero instances of police brutality. 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
11/24/18 11:53 p.m.

Democracy is not a suicide pact.  Due process likewise is also not so.  If any northern Va suburbanite or otherwise culturally soft suburbanite wants to hang out three blocks from my apt. amongst the flashing lights I'll happily point them in the right direction.  Every single night.  

This was supposed to be a raw but ultimately light hearted post against twatcycles.  

The fine fellow that gave us Miranda rights ended up dying in a bar fight.

Running from the Nash Bridges puts your miserable existence in a rather more deleterious light than most of us are comfortable with.  It's why we don't run.  The most of us that is.  That should be obvious.

I shall try to be less humorous in the future. smiley

Lock it down. indecision

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/25/18 7:38 a.m.

I'd be interested to see the videos in their entirety. Depending on the situation, I don't have a problem with running them over. Violent criminals should be stopped cold. Dead cold if necessary. You won't have to squash many of them before the rest of them realize that two wheels doesn't equal a get out of jail free card.

What I do have a problem with is giving the average cop the leeway to make that decision. Their adrenalin levels aren't necessarily conducive to making rational split second decisions. 

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
11/25/18 7:52 a.m.

These idiots ran from the cops. I'm not in support of what I saw in the video on the surface, but had these people already taken shots at police? Do they have a violent past? We don't know. The riders could be known to the police. I doubt all of them are, but I'm not in favor of letting crims run free because the dirty consequences of THEIR ACTIONS are unsettling. 

You run, you're instantly a criminal. 

Ever watch cops? Yup. Ever see someone getting pulled over for something minor like rolling through a stop sign, failing to signal, or similar? Yup. Ever see them run? Yup. Ever see them have an illegal weapon (usually gun) on them? Yup. Ever see them with a large stash of drugs, indicative of them being a dealer? Yup. Ever see that they have a warrant(s) for much more serious crime? Yup. Ever see them with a murder weapon on them? Yup. Ever see them with a clean rap sheet? Nope.    

See, to those of us insulated from these situations, us arm-chair quarterbacks as it were, it's easy to see 1.5 seconds of a video clip and assume we know the whole story. To the guys and girls that live this day and night, they know that a person running from the cops is usually up to no good. 

1 2

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
2yMtS1ILn0rY80bSRUuOEd5rQvCtgo9IdO6uKvwzmJHL45ffv4FQoaXCvD2C82Ja