1 2 3 4 5
Will
Will SuperDork
4/8/16 6:05 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: A good friend of mine was a sniper in Vietnam and I had this discussion with him and he recommend I get a Mini 14. Great all around weapon.

You sure he didn't say M14?

Mini 14 is only the answer if the question is "What uses the same ammo as an AR15 but costs more and is less accurate?"

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/8/16 10:56 p.m.

Yes mini 14. These are very accurate weapons if you take the time to dial them in. I never had jamming issues with mine.

My friend set mine up. It used 223 rounds.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/9/16 12:18 a.m.

The newer Mini-14s aren't so bad. The early ones had a pencil barrel and were very prone to stringing. They even made a Mini-14 chambered in 6.8 SPC, which turned it into a pretty good brush gun.

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
4/9/16 12:38 p.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote:
WOW Really Paul? wrote: FAL, particularly a DSArms metric one.
I am thinking FN FAL, what are you saying? The ones I see on DSA still have a pistol grip.

I see, there is a misunderstanding here, I was making a joke about the one thing that differentiates the M14, Mini, and M1 garand from the FAL & AR. It looks like you took that as meaning the FAL didn't have that.

Hopefully this clears up the confusion.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/9/16 3:27 p.m.

I still like my Marlin 30.30 lever action.

And I have wanted a SKS for some time.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/9/16 6:15 p.m.

In reply to WOW Really Paul?:

Yep, it's clear now, and makes a lot more sense.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/9/16 11:57 a.m.

Hi guys, just found this thread. I'd been looking for a deer rifle to use this coming year as I probably won't be able to use dad's this year. I finally picked one up this weekend. It is a Weatherby Vangaurd in 7mm Rem. Mag. It came with some cheap Tasco 3x9 scope on it, I plan to have something a lot nicer on it before deer season this fall. I also picked up a box of cheaper Winchester ammo so I can at least try it out and see how it shoots. So far I love it, it feels really nice, but I haven't shot it yet. :)

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/9/16 11:58 a.m.

Last year I got my first doe, and that was with a Savage 30-06 @ 206 yards. Looking forward to seeing what this guy can do this year.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
5/9/16 12:08 p.m.

A nearby out of state gun dealer has some Swiss K-31s just come in. Only found one on-line dealer with ammo though. Also got some of my paper work in for a CMP Garand. If I do a store boughten rifle, it will likely be something in 7mm-08. Still studying.

84FSP
84FSP Dork
5/9/16 6:07 p.m.

Watch the big box ads as a buddy just bought a savage 308 bolt gun with 3-9 scope and poly stock for 299 before tax. Great shooter and has an abuse proof parkerized finish. Great deal on a shooter that is more accurate than most folks and has enough hp to handle most of the things roaming this continent.

Ross413
Ross413 Reader
5/9/16 6:31 p.m.

Depends on where you are, legally, and the distances you hunt/shoot. This is it. Can thump anything in North America within 100-150 yards, and no one the wiser.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/TUhMfJE3USY

No Tom Dinall does not have a site, yes I am on the waiting list for this one. Fun plinker.

Thanks Ross

stroker
stroker SuperDork
5/9/16 7:42 p.m.

In reply to Ross413:

I'd be more impressed if he opened up a box of full house Buffalo Bore or Cor Bon loads and fired them. We have no way of knowing if those things were loaded down to 400 fps...

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
5/9/16 7:59 p.m.

In reply to stroker:

I'm not aware of any full power .44 mag loads under 1100 fps (sound barrier).

stroker
stroker SuperDork
5/9/16 9:23 p.m.
BrokenYugo wrote: In reply to stroker: I'm not aware of any full power .44 mag loads under 1100 fps (sound barrier).

Precisely. How do we know they're full house? For all we know they're a few grains a Bullseye and cream of wheat.

Ross413
Ross413 Reader
5/10/16 7:00 a.m.
stroker wrote: In reply to Ross413: I'd be more impressed if he opened up a box of full house Buffalo Bore or Cor Bon loads and fired them. We have no way of knowing if those things were loaded down to 400 fps...

That was just a quick clip I grabbed. Unsure of that loading. If you do enough research you can see just what you described.

One of the perks of that settup is the ammo selection. Run 44mag loads as hot and heavy as you want. Quiet fun with sonic crack. Or run 44 special loads for subsonic silent fun. Or spend the time to work up 300-330 grain 1000fps loads to take down whatever you want. Really easy to accomplish all of it.

Not for everyone. Just a neat piece. Ammo available at Wally world that is "cheap" that can do many things moderately well.

singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
5/10/16 7:55 a.m.

In reply to spitfirebill:

What is that dealer wanting for those k31s? There are bunch for sale locally (through gun broker) but I think they are a little high in their asking price.

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
5/10/16 8:11 a.m.

Savage Model 99 in 308 Cheap Plentiful Lever action with one of the strongest bolt designs made, no bolt lever to poke you in the back and or get caught on bushes. Cheap plentiful ammo.

stroker
stroker SuperDork
5/10/16 7:33 p.m.
bentwrench wrote: Savage Model 99 in 308 Cheap Plentiful Lever action with one of the strongest bolt designs made, no bolt lever to poke you in the back and or get caught on bushes. Cheap plentiful ammo.

Col. Cooper considered a Scout-based 99 as viable. That says something.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
5/11/16 9:30 a.m.
singleslammer wrote: In reply to spitfirebill: What is that dealer wanting for those k31s? There are bunch for sale locally (through gun broker) but I think they are a little high in their asking price.

Well they sold out apparently. They were $329.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
5/11/16 9:32 a.m.

The Savage 99s I've been seeing are anything but cheap. Maybe the ammo is.

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/15/22 8:44 a.m.
spitfirebill said:
dean1484 wrote: A good friend of mine was a sniper in Vietnam and I had this discussion with him and he recommend I get a Mini 14. Great all around weapon.

hhhmmmmmm...you just touched on something I had completely forgotten about...a Mini 30. I can't investigate here at work.

I really like my Ruger mini-30.  1" groups at 100 yards with chi-com ammo.  The 7.62x39 round has more oomph than the 5.56 round.  Almost .30-30 power.  Hunting rounds are available from places like Cor-Bon.

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/15/22 8:49 a.m.

In reply to spitfirebill :

I hunted with a rem model 7 in 7mm-08. Fantastic. Odd round though.

First rifle I would get is a 10-22 ruger. So much fun to plink and ultimately can take down a deer.

I currently am thinking a Rem model 700 in .308. I am betting I could whack something at about 800 yards with reasonable accuracy.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/15/22 8:56 a.m.

Since this was paddled back to the top, I just picked up a Springfield M1A Loaded, chambered for 308/7.62 NATO. 

It's a sweet shooting gun. 

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/15/22 1:26 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

They look good, too.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
7/15/22 1:35 p.m.

Just chiming in with a thumbs-up for the Mini-14.  I really enjoy mine, and it's acceptably accurate.  When it was new, it would sometimes FTF with 55 gr. projectiles.  I got a couple boxes of 68 gr. and they went through it just fine.  Now that it's broken in, it'll feed anything I put in it.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LkuS4dELjs7up0STMFBFDIxyKtK7B7gE5w7DeKv1pIBpQqnkEMppsLNjurOOzX7l