Spitsix
Spitsix GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/19/08 3:33 p.m.

A co-worker was involve in an accident. The other person involved was charged and their insurance company will cover all repairs to his car. My co-worker car has nose and hood damage, but no structural damage. He asked if he can just get a cash payoff and fix the car himself. The last accident claim I made was in the 70's. What are the rules today?

Thanks

rebelgtp
rebelgtp HalfDork
7/19/08 4:36 p.m.

i had a guy back up into my old 944 a few years back. I was able to get the cash paid directly to me, somewhere around $2500, cost me less than $500 to fix it myself.

triumph7
triumph7 New Reader
7/19/08 8:56 p.m.

He can just take the money, doesn't even have to fix the car if he doesn't want to. The only problem will be if, while fixing the car, he finds hidden damage. If its in a shop and they find extra damage, they just call the adjuster. If your friend does it he may have trouble there.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
7/20/08 6:11 a.m.

Above is true.

If it's the other party's insurance, the car owner can just be p aid. The only time it becomes problematic is if it is the car owner's own insurance AND he has a loan on the car. Then the payment must be 2 party to protect the lienholder.

As an adjuster, I like it when someone just wants paid themselves as it usually means I will never hear about the car again.

Spitsix
Spitsix GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/20/08 3:17 p.m.

"As an adjuster, I like it when someone just wants paid themselves as it usually means I will never hear about the car again."

So if the adjuster likes the idea, I would think we should be leary of it?

CrackMonkey
CrackMonkey Reader
7/21/08 9:44 a.m.

Yes, for the reason above - the ins. co. will want your friend to sign a piece of paper signing away any further damages. So, if there does end up being structural damage, or a control arm is broken, or something that costs more, your friend could be out of luck.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
7/21/08 10:36 a.m.

Yep. I have done this once or twice myself, but only after I have thoroughly examined the car to make sure I wasn't screwing myself. In fact, the second time the adjuster threw in $300 extra to cover ten days' rental I wasn't going to need. You will wind up signing away any rights to any further damage, so be careful!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zma2gGqUAdLgUCXxAzFAuqenTv3Rr2qWFvXXf4CsEiR3iI9pfCRpt9elODnt1QXn