1 2 3 4
petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/18/12 7:26 p.m.

I've finally uploaded everything I have to Soundcloud - thanks for the link Jay!

http://soundcloud.com/robot-zombie-overlord

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
7/26/12 7:02 p.m.

I've recently found out that I hate myself. Why you ask? Because I think I like skrillex...

The "beats audio HP" computer commercial has a song called promises by Nero and Skrillex, and I'm totally hooked on it

petegossett
7/26/12 7:05 p.m.

Yeah I'm really digging Skrillex too. Like his earlier album best.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
8/14/12 12:46 p.m.

Been finding myself really attracted to plain old dance stuff lately...Rihanna - We found love, Alex Clare - Too Close, Calvin Harris - Feel So Close. Those 3 , plus a few others, have been getting me through some VERY monotonous Excel stuff at work...just looped over and over and over and over andre ver ando vre andovera ndo verandoveranvderio...

Does that make me a poseur lol? I used to feel so hardcore, but as I get older, I can feel that Im getting to be more honest with myself about just liking what I like. Has anyone else gotten that way? Do I need to start buying 6 of things when theyre on sale and telling the neighborhood kids to get off my lawn?

Luke
Luke UberDork
8/14/12 10:52 p.m.

I was introduced to this via FB, recently.

http://somafm.com/

Free internet radio station (though they do encourage donations), with several electronica-focused channels.

rallymodeller
rallymodeller New Reader
8/14/12 11:14 p.m.

While I have always been a fan of armchair techno/downbeat/whatever they're calling it these days, lately my listening has been turning more towards the acid jazz and modern fusion genres. Micatone, Brand New Heavies, Ananda Project, Stereolab, Mr. Scruff, etcetera, etcetera.

However, straight electronica-wise I really, REALLY enjoy Ulrich Schnauss and Royksopp. I have a disc in my car dedicated to them both and I can always count on it as great driving music.

Jay
Jay UltraDork
8/14/12 11:47 p.m.

Funny that this thread pops up again. I've been rethinking my music studio to include a lot more portable desktop boxes and vintage/weird stuff instead of the full size keyboards. I want to take a good enough setup to meet my needs to New Zealand but it has to be easy to lug around. I'm also amassing parts to build a DIY synthesizer based on eight(!) Commodore 64 music chips (in fact that's the reason I have the 64c I posted in the desk thread - not going to part that one out though!)

I'm into oldschool breakbeat-based rave techno right now, '90s cheese and all. Here's the most recent track I've done (from June), very much along those lines:

jmph - Eddie at the Mental Institution (link goes to my badly neglected Soundcloud page - please download if you like it!)

Just simple dance music, no vocals, no schmaltz, lots of fun to make. Big props if you can name where the scream sample came from.

Jay
Jay UltraDork
8/14/12 11:52 p.m.

Couple pics of my temporary, work-in-progress studio setup:

That would be a x0xb0x (self-made 303 clone), Casio SA-5 (tiny toy keyboard that is more fun than the last three "serious" synths I've bought combined!), Access Virus, Korg M1R (in rack), Roland GP-8 effects (in rack), and a couple mixers. Not pictured are my Microkorg, Yamaha DX27 (which I'm thinking of selling), Yamaha REX-50 effects box, and a few other odds and ends.

BTW I've ordered a MIDI in/out retrofit that will work on the SA-5. I'm planning to use it as a very portable master keyboard.

rallymodeller
rallymodeller New Reader
8/15/12 4:20 a.m.

I could name where the scream came from, but I think it's fine to say:

"Another visitor! Stay a while! STAY FOREVER."

I like it. Very old-school -- has me thinking of early '90s Detroit house.

petegossett
8/15/12 6:10 a.m.

What flavor of Beatle-bass is that?

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
8/15/12 8:28 a.m.

I love this thread.

The bmx-er inside me thinks that I am a douche for liking electronic music.

The grown up in me looks at the bmx-er and giggles, then fires up the jams and goes back to work.

Jay
Jay UltraDork
8/15/12 11:57 a.m.
petegossett wrote: What flavor of Beatle-bass is that?

Not a 'Beatle-bass' (that was a Hoffman I think?) It's an Eko 995, made in Italy in the late '60s. A tenant left it behind(!) when he moved out of my rental house. I'm not much of a guitarist, but I've been sampling it through effects and chopping up/manipulating the samples to make techno. Works for me.

PHeller
PHeller SuperDork
9/4/12 3:25 p.m.

Can someone learn me the basics of making your own dance music? I have a few songs (mostly those from the 70's) that I'd really like to try my hand at making more modern, they continually get stuck in my head, and the small amount of time I've spent messing around on a friends mixing equipment I really enjoyed, despite not knowing anything about it.

He had a keyboard, a laptop, and "autotune" thing that the mic plugged into, a few musical instruments he recorded.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cmcc8tKYmHCNh3GVFRDfMBcyv2Xo6xNbZZM3XYWgR24fOtZNQa2AHibzZtxwirZo