ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
1/17/17 11:03 a.m.

So we just picked up an '07 Odyssey. No Bluetooth, usb, or Aux input. I want to add this.

There are a number of simple and relatively inexpensive adapters to do this that utilize the CD changer/xm radio/or some other expansion input. Some seem very well thought out (this one for example).

My question is this: If I have a phone connected via Bluetooth in my car (old alpine headunit), and the phone rings, it rings through the stereo (regardless of what mode/station/etc. the radio is in). It seems to be the same way in rentals with OEM Bluetooth. It does not ring through the phone ringer itself.

If I am connected to this add-on kit and I get a call, but I am not on the specific channel required for the adapter, will my phone just not ring?

I'm concerned because Bluetooth calling is nice, but Bluetooth streaming isn't going to be used by me or my wife unless its on a road trip.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/18/17 8:24 a.m.

I'm interested in this thread as we have an '05 Odyssey and I'd like to add Bluetooth capability for streaming.

I have an MPOW Bluetooth adapter that I use through the AUX port in my Rav4, which is a similar setup to what you've linked to. The stereo output must be switched to AUX in order to hear any sound from the Bluetooth device - it's not smart enough to recognize that a call's coming in if I'm listening to my radio and switch over to the AUX input. I'll have to check if my iPhone rings in that scenario, and I'll let you know the result.

I had a car with integrated Bluetooth (it wouldn't stream Bluetooth, though), and regardless of the stereo mode, it would always recognize the call coming in and give that priority. The AUX port in general will not work the same way. Because they're using the AUX port to tap into the stereo, I think this will be a limitation of an aftermarket add-on solution, but could be wrong. The manufacturer should be able to give you an outline of how it would work in that scenario.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
1/18/17 8:29 a.m.

I talked to them. It won't ring :(

Is there any way to force an iPhone and/or Android to ring via the phone speaker in addition to whatever bluetooth device it is connected to?

Seems like the easy way to overcome this solution for the aftermarket would be to include a small loud speaker in line with the audio for this purpose. Could have an on/off switch on it, or possibly auto-off when you switch to the bluetooth input on the radio.

dj06482
1/18/17 8:47 a.m.

If you have your phone on a vibrate and ring setup, is that good enough. I have my phone mounted on a magnetic mount on one of the vents, so I see it "ringing" visually, as well.

My old Garmin vivoactive would vibrate when I got a call, so maybe a cheap activity tracker would solve the ringing problem?

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
1/18/17 8:54 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin:

Unfortunately, I think the vibration is going to be your only no-visual alert. I agree with dj06482, keeping your phone on a stand will give you the visual queue. There are also hands free bluetooth speaker setups LIKE THIS ONE , where you clip a speaker to the visor, like a garage door opener. That will ring aloud when an incoming call is detected. Audio quality is probably a bit suspect, but if its just for calls, and media streaming will happen via adapters and head unit, then its probably a moot point.

Klayfish
Klayfish UberDork
1/18/17 9:02 a.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: In reply to ProDarwin: Unfortunately, I think the vibration is going to be your only no-visual alert. I agree with dj06482, keeping your phone on a stand will give you the visual queue. There are also hands free bluetooth speaker setups LIKE THIS ONE , where you clip a speaker to the visor, like a garage door opener. That will ring aloud when an incoming call is detected. Audio quality is probably a bit suspect, but if its just for calls, and media streaming will happen via adapters and head unit, then its probably a moot point.

I have the Motorola version of that. I no longer use it because my current DD has factory Bluetooth, but I used it when I had my HHR. It rang plenty loud enough for me to hear it, even with the window down. Quality was actually a lot better than I expected, and nobody ever complained that they couldn't hear me. Just bought a car without Bluetooth or Sirius/XM radio and I want to add both. I know there are aftermarket head units that can do that, but just a personal pet peeve that I hate aftermarket head units. I'd very, very much prefer to leave the factory one in. So I'm going to use the Motorola on my sun visor and have Best Buy install an Onyx XM radio.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
1/18/17 9:33 a.m.

This is my wife's car. She isn't going to put her phone in a holder for her 6 mile commute. Neither would I. She also isn't going to be streaming bluetooth on a daily basis. The radio will be on the local NPR station.

With the add on kit, phone calls will come through the car mic & speakers. Adding another speaker is only going to mess things up, unless there is a way to make that speaker function as a ringer only. Edit: I think this may be the answer... I've found a few devices, even some with a flashing light. Would be nice if I could find one that wasn't battery powered.

The simpler I make this, the more likely she is to use it. The more difficult it is, or if calls get missed, the more likely she is to just unpair her phone and hold it to her ear while driving... which I don't want happening.

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
1/18/17 9:52 a.m.

Can you use one of these?

grom Bluetooth adapter for Honda

Simple, rings through the stereo and the phone (at least it does with my iPhone) in my '01 BMW.

dj06482
1/18/17 11:29 a.m.

There's no perfect answer for the Odyssey (that's I've found) short of factory-integrated Bluetooth - which requires buying a newer van. My wife calls me on speaker phone from the van, even where there's a Jabra Cruiser2 Bluetooth Speaker on the visor that actually works pretty well. But her phone is on the dash and not in her hand, so I can't complain.

EvanR
EvanR SuperDork
1/18/17 12:12 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote: 6 mile commute.

Is it really not possible to ignore one's telephone for the (maximum) 18 minutes that a 6-mile commute will take?

Sorry, maybe this should go in "Minor Rants".

Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
1/18/17 1:50 p.m.

People on the Porsche boards seem to really like this one: https://www.amazon.com/iSimple-ISFM21-Universal-Bluetooth-Transmitter/dp/B005XUEMK6

I've heard it's, like, the best universal adapter, or whatever. There's a button that controls the phone, but I'm not sure about the station settings.

Here's a post about it: http://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-cayenne-forum/882713-isimple-tranzit-blu-hf-a-decent-alternative-to-most-interface-for-bluetooth.html

Mister Fister
Mister Fister Reader
1/18/17 1:51 p.m.

You can buy an eBay kajigger for $10 - plugs into the cigarette lighter, bluetooth from your phone to the transmitter, transmits to FM radio.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
1/18/17 2:11 p.m.

^I think you guys missed the original question.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
3/31/17 8:05 a.m.

Update. I finally got around to installing the "USA Spec" kit for the Odyssey. It does ring through the radio no matter what input you have selected.

Tune up answers, Tune down rejects calls. All streaming/etc. controls are done through the phone.

very satisfied.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/31/17 10:44 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin:

Link to product? We have a 2010 Ody that has an Aux in but not Bluetooth.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
3/31/17 11:00 a.m.

I have an '05 325XIT that I'd like to have integrated calling, streaming etc via BT ...

linky please?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
4/1/17 7:45 p.m.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
q6SeZG8JvlepZlqmsJ9KLPmPXY69iqsQBvJuoAgWuJ70H54gYatlNDisjjeI3cxi