1 2 3 4
Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/13/22 9:07 a.m.

In reply to TJL (Forum Supporter) :

When I first went in and got a formal diagnosis, I specifically asked if there was something that wasn't a stimulant that I could start with. Unfortunately I don't remember what that was, but it did pretty much nothing but make me dizzy and light-headed and didn't have any impact behaviorally/memory-wise. 

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/13/22 9:46 a.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

I tried a non stimulant before the adderal and it was terrible. All the side effects. Dern bold. 
I think it was a attempt to mimic a stimulant but it was crap.  Adderal was great at first, all methy energy. Then got used to it. Accidently took one at night before bed. Got all worried i would be up all night. Nope. I slept fine. 

im on a low dose wellbutrin to fight the side effects of the paxil and adderal. It seems good, seratonin and what not. 
im off the adderal for now but im still on the paxil and welbutrin. 

adhd/anxiety/depression/etc, etc... "im fine". 

bentwrench
bentwrench UltraDork
9/13/22 10:08 a.m.

I wonder if there is a higher than normal ratio of ADHD among BeeKeepers?

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
9/13/22 3:33 p.m.

It's interesting that this post came up 7 years later. 

I recently started taking Concerta again, after a few years of not. I also got diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apnea, and was feeling run-down all the time. 

Got a CPAP machine and per the recording of my sleep, I'm supposed to be sleeping better, but it never made any difference - I was still tired and unmotivated later in the day, and could go to bed at 8pm most nights. 

I suspect that I've got some sort of daytime solmenance. Which, it just so happens, is also treated with stimulants and is related to patients with ADD. 

The theory is that people ADD also experience more intense bouts of tiredness, especially after periods of hyper focus. The best example is driving - you'll be powering through the miles, maybe hours behind the wheel, then suddenly, nothing you do can keep you awake. A short nap, and you're back at it. 

I've noticed that with the stimulants, especially time-release stuff, I'm more productive the entire day, instead of just in the morning or late at night. 

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/13/22 3:37 p.m.

I have some focus issues, but to a certain extent that's because I'm just bored as hell of my job after 30 years doing it. I am soon going to be president of the company and intend on restructuring it, so am not sure if meds would help me, or if the sheer terror of the coming events will keep me on track. The most focused I've ever been in my life was mountain climbing. Being on the edge of death does have its plusses.

I tried Adderall a bunch of years back, and its effects were useful, but not great, and after time it was useless. Maybe one of the new ones like Welbutrin.

What I am VERY interested in is the subject of memory. I'm a pretty functional guy, but the harder I try to remember something, the more it's like a wet bar of soap and it keeps slipping away. Especially names. I have a very visual memory. Somehow dealing with digits versus windows just throws me much of the time. And when I try the common memory tricks...zilch. Empty rooms devoid of content. 

Do any of these drugs help? I do also sruggle with low-level depression, so that's in the mix also.

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
9/13/22 5:26 p.m.

I'm not sure focus issues are the sole indicator of ADD. 

It's also impulsiveness. It's motivation. It's hyperfocus on things that don't matter. 

I'm a good driver. My shrink said that many people with ADD are terrible drivers because they get distracted too easily. I'm MOST focused when I'm driving. I find the changing landscape and the joys of controlling the vehicle to be things that grab my attention and keep it. It's why I love bike riding, but hate running. Treadmills? Yuck. I like to see landscape pass by quickly. 

I can focus pretty good in an interactive environment. In conversational environments. You've gotta let me ask questions. You've gotta not only show me something, but let me try it. Then I'll get it. 

Oddly enough, while I'm horrible at READING HOW to do something, I'm great at WRITING it. I get high marks from my coworkers on my ability to make things easy to understand. In general I'm a fast reader, and can churn through lots of pages and still absorb stuff, but I'm terrible at the details. My wife (who doesn't have ADD) can read something, very slowly, and she'll remember lots of little details, but won't "get" the overall idea behind the story. 

My shrink mentioned that she's worked with plenty of patients who have "made it" despite being diagnosed, even as kids, with ADD. Often times its because they've developed health habits and were able to manage many of the symptoms without medication. In some cases, it can be as simple as "my assistant does all the boring stuff I'm terrible at." They are often "idea people" who are better at short and sweet meetings and getting consensus in a "visit with everyone" type of environment. They use small-talk and staying out of the office to their advantage. 

Here again, however, is this idea that the diagnosis shouldn't be based solely on the workplace. I think there are a lot of people out there who don't exhibit any ADD symptoms at their job, but at home, it's clear as day. 

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/5/23 1:20 p.m.

After approximately 3 months on the Vyvanse, the doctor's office finally got me back in for a follow-up appointment to go over who things had been going. Was interesting as the new doctor (my old one is now the medical director for the clinic, so isn't always available) mentioned that she was actually on Vyvanse ('though a much higher dose' as she note wryly). After discussing my experiences with it, especially my problems with some of the side effects, she discussed with the original doctor and they decided to try switching me over to Concerta. Which was fun, because it was another week of back and forth with the insurance to get it approved and the script filled.

So far, I'm definitely thinking the Concerta works better for me than the Vyvanse did- not seeing any of the side effects that gave me problems, and additionally noticed over the first week I was taking it (when we were out at my in-law's) that it seems to help considerably with my usual problem of not being able to ignore/tune out a TV or radio that is on in earshot of me. I usually am really drawn to watch/listen regardless of whether I'm actually interested in what is on- and it would normally have been even more difficult since my MIL was playing movies that I'd wanted to see myself for the kids to watch. But it was a lot easier for me to keep my attention on the conversation/game that I should have been paying attention to and not just focus on the TV.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XaDaIfxivEuIVjfAY1duDAwNRYlBDEqFCF1u96z49pKFL37JD4FLUm33pTbKVx2T