1 ... 8 9 10
infinitenexus
infinitenexus Dork
6/27/22 8:40 a.m.

So our dream of expatriating isn't dead, it's just on pause until we have more money. Ultimately, that's the barrier for pretty much anything these days, and it's only getting worse. My wife is preparing to be a surrogate mother, which will raise a large sum of money--honestly, we can't buy a house without that money. The end of Roe v. Wade is very concerning, though. Also, that along with comments Clarence Thomas has made just makes us want to leave even more. The problem with Canada, of course, is money. The housing market in Canada is pretty bonkers. 

Over the weekend I had three separate people mention Spain to me, so I finally looked into it. It checks an awful lot of boxes, and most importantly it's affordable. A nice flat in Malaga with a view of the water can run 4-600 euros. Food is cheap, wine is cheap, and there's lots of auto racing in Spain. The thought of moving to a different continent is mildly terrifying to me, but overall it looks like Spain is probably a better choice than Canada. Honestly, there's probably a LOT of places that would be a better fit for us than Canada, language requirements aside.

Once my wife completes the surrogacy, we'll be in a better financial position to seriously check this sort of thing out. All we can really do now is watch lots of youtube videos and talk to expatriates and try to learn as much as possible.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
6/27/22 8:43 a.m.

Just missed an Ops director role for Walmart in Canada....  

Wife says.. see what happens.. 

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Dork
6/28/22 7:58 a.m.

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine :

I think Walmarts in Canada were some of the most shocking differences to me. I'm used to places like Baltimore and Cleveland, not to mention a small town in Florida, so it's common for me to walk into Walmart and hear employees swearing up a storm, talking about how they just got in a (physical) fight with a customer, for trash to be on the floor, etc. When I went to a Walmart in Canada, I was absolutely astounded. It was spotless, everything was in perfect order, and the employees were incredibly nice.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/28/22 8:58 a.m.
infinitenexus said:

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine :

I think Walmarts in Canada were some of the most shocking differences to me. I'm used to places like Baltimore and Cleveland, not to mention a small town in Florida, so it's common for me to walk into Walmart and hear employees swearing up a storm, talking about how they just got in a (physical) fight with a customer, for trash to be on the floor, etc. When I went to a Walmart in Canada, I was absolutely astounded. It was spotless, everything was in perfect order, and the employees were incredibly nice.

I never used to get the jokes about Walmart, until I went into a Walmart in Florida, then it suddenly all made sense.

1 ... 8 9 10
Our Preferred Partners
YgvbpreSQI3v9ziw0VRkm2v3ivrIVMxMGbRN1hUuQQiOmxb3B26usOI9LAQTQ211