1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
5/20/22 4:35 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

I have mixed emotions about living here. Not from the area but my wife is. My first stint here from 09-10 I really hated it and forced the misses to NC for 4ish years. Then she convinced me to come back with her parents offering to help us out a lot with the kids (spoiler alert).  Been back 9 years now. It defiantly has its pluses and minuses, but the weather alone is reason enough for me to want to leave. I do not like being trapped inside 6 plus months out of the year. 

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
5/20/22 5:10 p.m.

In reply to adam525i :

I didn't know he filmed at Varney.

My Dad raced there in the 70's and I raced there in the 90's. We used to do a weekend double header, Varney Saturday, Motopark Sunday

Varney does live up to it's name, the action track.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/20/22 5:18 p.m.

Once knew a guy who owned a shop in Montreal specializing in natural and outdoors stuff. When it got cold, he's head down to Mexico and lead nature tours of the lagoons on the West coast. Smart guy.

I can't abide Canadian winters, but my retirement plan is to go gypsy. I've slaved for the high-cost California house which will fetch a pretty penny on Air B and B. Or just do straight housing swaps. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/20/22 6:19 p.m.
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to John Welsh :

Well I am Canadian and my wife tells me I am an inconsiderate, opinionated, argumentative, cynical jerk.

But she's grading you on "the Canadian scale" which means in the US you're a nice guy. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/20/22 6:21 p.m.

The trick to surviving a Canadian winter is to embrace it. Ski, snowshoe, enjoy that crisp blue sky you only get when it's below freezing,  the silence of woods covered in snow. If you need to hide from it, you belong somewhere else :) 

If you're cold, put more clothes on. This is a solved problem. There's a limit (both legal and practical) about how far you can go the other way when it's hot...

1SlowVW
1SlowVW HalfDork
5/20/22 6:38 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

The trick to surviving a Canadian winter is to embrace it. Ski, snowshoe, enjoy that crisp blue sky you only get when it's below freezing,  the silence of woods covered in snow. If you need to hide from it, you belong somewhere else :) 

If you're cold, put more clothes on. This is a solved problem. There's a limit (both legal and practical) about how far you can go the other way when it's hot...

I have no reason to own a snowmobile, except that I love the acceleration and being out in the woods in the winter. 

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
5/20/22 7:21 p.m.

Well I am Canadian and my wife tells me I am an inconsiderate, opinionated, argumentative, cynical jerk.

I think they learn that from their mothers.

Mine says the same thing

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
5/20/22 7:28 p.m.

Mine once said "He's a nice guy when you get to know him" really means "He's an ass but you get used to it".

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
5/20/22 9:19 p.m.
Scotty Con Queso said:

In reply to Kreb (Forum Supporter) :

The 8 months of cloud cover is why I'll be leaving Pittsburgh one day. 

One of the Pittsburgh history tips I picked up was back in the heavy steel mill days the soot and pollution was so bad businessmen would head home mid-day and change into a new white shirt.   Imagine how bad it was back then? 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
5/20/22 10:12 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

And hence why I do not advocate for South West Ontario as a place to live. There is not much to do in the summer, and even less in the winter. Winter activities are 3 or more hours north. There is not quite enough reliable snow to run a snowmobile and way to many restrictions as to where you can ride. 

I have survived the last 30 years on a diet of start-up ventures, world- travel for business and locking myself in a very well heated garage with no windows in my spare time. 

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
ZOO (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/21/22 8:20 a.m.

You don't need too much snow to enjoy a fatbike on a single-track -- my current favourite way to pass a Canadian winter.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
5/21/22 10:14 a.m.

Having lived in Cleveland and the Boston area for many years, I just don't wanna do winter like that again.  Particularly with the lack of any decent skiing around.  If I was near Whistler, I could do Canadian winter, otherwise forget it.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/21/22 10:28 a.m.

I'm super impressed with the progress of "the infineitenexus journey". You set goals and make them happen. Keep it up. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/21/22 10:47 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I can dig what you're saying, but some people just can't. (although I'm picturing myself in a quiet, snow-covered woods right now)  It's not always a mindset or a wardrobe choice.  I grew up in Ontario and PA, and I just can't.  I can't "turn the frown upside down" when it's 10 degrees.  I have embraced the beauty of it.  Nothing is neater than cuddling up with someone on a snow day by the fire and pretending like you're stranded in a remote cabin on a mountain, but note that the functional part here is that it's inside by a fire.  It doesn't matter how much I bundle up, my body detests cold.  Part of it is what you're used to and what you like, but a big part of it is how your body physically copes with temps.

I can lay in the sun on the equator in 110 degrees and feel perfectly comfy, but anything below about 45 or 50 and I start getting grumbly.  My mother on the other hand starts bitching when it gets above 75 because her body legit can't seem to properly cool itself.  I'm one of those people who can wear jeans in Florida in the summer.  Mom is one of those who wears shorts in PA in February.

There are also a pretty large number of people who have seasonal depression.  I never knew I had some of that (mildly) until the first winter I spent back in PA after living in SoCal, TX, NoLA, and FL for 13 years.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
5/21/22 10:50 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

That's odd, I'm not Canadian and I've been told that too

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/21/22 11:12 a.m.

In reply to docwyte :

I always think Whistler is a scam. They are awesome at extracting dollars from tourists but the skiing in my opinion is far from the best in BC. The skiable terrain is a fraction of what they claim because the bottom two thirds of the mountain is wet sludge so you need to upload to get to the good stuff, along with half of Europe and Asia, and even then it is heavy coastal snow most of the year. Unless you do back country or know the mountain really well you will spend the day in lift lines. The interior mountains are far better. I spent a week at Sun Peaks a few years ago and we got over a foot of champagne powder every night for four days, and its mostly locals or Albertans once you get away from the Coast so much less pretentious and a fraction of the price. 

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
5/21/22 12:52 p.m.

I don't ski, I fall down with boards strapped to my feet.

Part of the reason I'm moving is, I'm tired of the west coast winters.

I'm sick of being wet all the time, I'm sick of 90 days straight, grey, clouds and drizzle.

I can handle -30c when the sun is shining and I'm not soaking wet.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
5/21/22 2:10 p.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

A lot of people, especially Pittsburgh natives, think you're crazy when you tell them about seasonal affective disorder (SAD).  

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/21/22 2:30 p.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:
Keith Tanner said:

I can dig what you're saying, but some people just can't. (although I'm picturing myself in a quiet, snow-covered woods right now)  It's not always a mindset or a wardrobe choice.  I grew up in Ontario and PA, and I just can't.  I can't "turn the frown upside down" when it's 10 degrees.  I have embraced the beauty of it.  Nothing is neater than cuddling up with someone on a snow day by the fire and pretending like you're stranded in a remote cabin on a mountain, but note that the functional part here is that it's inside by a fire.  It doesn't matter how much I bundle up, my body detests cold.  Part of it is what you're used to and what you like, but a big part of it is how your body physically copes with temps.

I can lay in the sun on the equator in 110 degrees and feel perfectly comfy, but anything below about 45 or 50 and I start getting grumbly.  My mother on the other hand starts bitching when it gets above 75 because her body legit can't seem to properly cool itself.  I'm one of those people who can wear jeans in Florida in the summer.  Mom is one of those who wears shorts in PA in February.

There are also a pretty large number of people who have seasonal depression.  I never knew I had some of that (mildly) until the first winter I spent back in PA after living in SoCal, TX, NoLA, and FL for 13 years.

Fair enough. I'm built to handle 0F much better than 100F, even in our dry heat. And SAD is real, especially if you huddle inside. Part of it is what you're accustomed to, I'd feel it more now than I did when I was living up north because I've been bathed in sunshine for 20 years.

SW Ontario is spectacularly good farmland, so it's all been used. Still, there's open space. I used to commute on my bike when I was at school and that was a lot of fun in the snow :) It's not the same as stomping around the woods on snowshoes in virgin powder but it's better than hiding. I was lucky enough to grow up in Ottawa where there are loads of opportunities for winter recreation.

I miss the cold, but Janel is from the desert so I don't get much chance to play in it anymore. 

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/21/22 2:32 p.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

Agree 100 per cent.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
5/21/22 5:48 p.m.
infinitenexus said:
yupididit said:
infinitenexus said:

yes to basically every financial comment/question you would raise.

This made me lol

Well, there are certain people that would say something like "you were in a hard place a year and a half ago so how dare you think of spending any money on anything ever, clearly you haven't learned your lesson," so I'd rather just nip that in the bud before they start their BS.

I'm guessing you're thinking I would say it, and I think the opposite. I think you have learned the lesson. You were living at your Dads, with a broken down car, no job, pregnant girlfriend, and full of excuses. You needed someone to take those excuses away and make you change. You might not like the way it happened, but can you say at this point it was a bad thing to happen? Bad thing to go through, yes, but in the end, it made you HAVE to do something to fix it, and you did. I'd say "good job getting it handled" before I said you don't deserve the results. 

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Dork
5/22/22 7:51 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I love cold, snowy winters, so Canadian weather is a huge plus for me. I've never been a fan of hot weather, especially hot, humid weather. I always found that odd since I'm from Florida.

I know Windsor doesn't have the most ideal winters, but again, it's easy mode for immigration. After a year we should have a more permanent place picked out. Somewhere I can have a nice, small house with a garage on about an acre close to a city. Preferably with a 996 or 944 in said garage, and in a location where I can go autoslalom and maybe do a track day at some nearby track.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
5/22/22 7:56 a.m.
infinitenexus said:
Keith Tanner said:

I love cold, snowy winters, so Canadian weather is a huge plus for me. I've never been a fan of hot weather, especially hot, humid weather. I always found that odd since I'm from Florida.

I know Windsor doesn't have the most ideal winters, but again, it's easy mode for immigration. After a year we should have a more permanent place picked out. Somewhere I can have a nice, small house with a garage on about an acre close to a city. Preferably with a 996 or 944 in said garage, and in a location where I can go autoslalom and maybe do a track day at some nearby track.

Then I will put this here so you can put a pin on a suitable location. Looks like we might be neighbors kinda of.

https://grandbendmotorplex.com/

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/22/22 7:57 a.m.

In reply to infinitenexus :

I took down one post.  Deleting posts is not how we usually handle things here but I thought I would appeal to the author in you and ask for a rewrite/refresh/resubmission.  I'm not saying I disagree with the sentiment of what you wrote; they are your true feelings.  Rather, I am asking for a "rephrase" or fresher choice of words.  

I like this thread and didn't want to see that posting taint the otherwise good nature of the thread.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/22/22 8:00 a.m.

In reply to Steve_Jones :

For me, it is very inspiring to see the strong progress OP has made.  I especially enjoy his new found passion in novel writing. 

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yC1ODeB45ZcCLAwuvbbcWTX2yzox4XaVndes3deGHywC7HFc5DX0zAXm95I0zrwC