stroker
stroker PowerDork
8/11/22 10:19 a.m.

Might this have some other applications which shall go unnamed?

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones Dork
8/11/22 10:34 a.m.

Ah yes, the solvent trap...  Most times the ends are solid and you have to drill / tap it yourself, this one looks pretty blatant.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/11/22 10:38 a.m.

Is this the new CAT oil filter trick? Looks like a good way to get your dog shot.

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/11/22 10:43 a.m.

I ran across those on amazon. The "solvent trap" oil filter adapters were not enough, lets make a full on suppressor!

i wanted to get one just for giggles, but im not trying to talk to the ATF anytime soon. I have tax stamp paid, legal NFA stuffs. Not worth messing with these thinly veiled things.  

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
8/11/22 11:15 a.m.

These have been getting flagged in transit and confiscated.  

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/11/22 12:11 p.m.

I'm glad people are trying to buy these instead of going for the slightly more DIY-effort-intensive options that would be pretty much impossible to trace...

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
8/11/22 12:30 p.m.

I have heard you can make a pretty effective "Oil Fuel Filter" out of a very cheap empty liter plastic bottle.

Still not entirely sure why "Oil Fuel Filters" are so illegal though, it's not like they aren't still loud, just not AS loud (unless you have a sub-sonic "engine" of course).

(this thread will be very confusing to some)

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/11/22 12:41 p.m.

That certainly looks like it might filter some fuel, but probably not the one you buy at most gas stations. 

MiniDave
MiniDave Reader
8/11/22 12:51 p.m.

No idea what this is all about, can someone clarify, or post a link to the actual product or something?

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
8/11/22 12:57 p.m.

Let's just say:  Snake likes to make sure he is well "filtered", and for some reason needs a huge scope...

Kurt Russell "Snake Plissken" MAC-10 prop machine gun from Escape from ...

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/11/22 12:58 p.m.

Hint:

Edit: Aircooled beat me to it

fatallightning
fatallightning HalfDork
8/11/22 1:10 p.m.

I've heard scuttlebutt that some of these are basically plants by ATF, and they come for you like, immediately.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
8/11/22 2:53 p.m.
aircooled said:

I have heard you can make a pretty effective "Oil Fuel Filter" out of a very cheap empty liter plastic bottle.

But have you heard one of those filters filtering? I haven't, but I don't expect them to filter out much.

Unfortunately now you can't buy the housing anymore, just the paper element. They were legitimately effective high volume fuel filters at a good price. Another case of this is why we can't have nice things.

TJL (Forum Supporter)
8/11/22 2:59 p.m.

Id like to think someone bought this as a actual fuel filter and installed it. 

i just assume all the things like that are a trap. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/11/22 7:00 p.m.

Ah.  As a Canadian, I never saw suppressor.   I was thinking drug smuggling method.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/11/22 8:20 p.m.
aircooled said:

Still not entirely sure why "Oil Fuel Filters" are so illegal though, it's not like they aren't still loud, just not AS loud (unless you have a sub-sonic "engine" of course).

The weight of your engin has a lot to do with it as well. Most eight cylinder ones (and larger) are quieter due to being heavier but you get a zippy little four cylinder and they can be quite loud even with an oil fuel filter. 

AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
8/11/22 9:15 p.m.

Oh my... Searched: "NAPA 4003" filter after seeing this 'filter adapter' on eBay.

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/12/22 10:30 a.m.
fatallightning said:

I've heard scuttlebutt that some of these are basically plants by ATF, and they come for you like, immediately.

Bait and Switch entrapment is their modus operandi.     

GeddesB
GeddesB GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/12/22 4:25 p.m.

A "Hearing Protection Bill' is bouncing around in DC someplace, that will remove these filter type things from the NFA. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
8/12/22 4:31 p.m.

It seems to me, you would need to machine threads into your "oil outlet pipe" to screw one of these in anyway.  I would think if you could do that, you could probably make your own "filter" pretty easily.

I guess you could have a "muffler shop" to the machining since that is technically not illegal?

(I realize I don't need to talk in code, I just find it entertaining)

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/12/22 5:01 p.m.
GeddesB said:

A "Hearing Protection Bill' is bouncing around in DC someplace, that will remove these filter type things from the NFA. 

In some countries, it is considered to be good manners to use a solvent filter trap.  It is a shame that they are so heavily restricted here.

slefain
slefain UltimaDork
8/12/22 5:03 p.m.

I saw a piece being sold as a "phone stand" that turns some gun from "pew pew" into "pewpewpewpewpew" apparently.

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
8/12/22 7:13 p.m.
aircooled said:

Because Joe Q Public only knows what "they" tell 'em. That and movies. And "they" don't mind making money off that. 
There are several things (as you know, but others might not) that are 100% legal , as long as you pay the correct bureaucracy. And ones that are registered have not been used in a crime since the law was passed many many years ago. Despite the news constantly saying otherwise. 

But then, the news can not even get the name correct, so no surprise.  

TJL (Forum Supporter)
8/12/22 7:25 p.m.

Remember too that supressors are legal as covered by the NFA, National Firearms Act, but they are not firearms. Its just an accesory. Other places encourage their use to keep noise down and they are not controlled like they are here in the Estados Unitos. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yoS4TUeHpW2EIrlBRzbCBjXHGEjOFIFdUMxqTTfxnpJ2pYK8LrPy1tjtckiXAgRT