1 2 3
Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
12/22/16 8:16 a.m.

I am glad Amazon Prime Video picked up HBO, because it really isn't that good if you want newer stuff.

Great collection of older movies. 60's and older they probably have it, if it is available.

Man in the High Castle. Made it through 6 episodes. After the guy went flying off the dam/bridge, it was a great place to walk-away. Boring. Although maybe I should watch it to get a feel for what is about to come. Just change the swastika for a hammer and sickle.

Alpha House is funny, but canceled. What you see is what you get.

Mr. Robot is supposed to be great.

Goliath is supposed to be Billy Bob Thortons best work ever.

The Royals is fun and nasty.

The Americans (or The Amerikans) seems very relevant today.

There also seems to be a new car show. I don't know.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/22/16 8:58 a.m.
Chris_V wrote: I was living in downtown Baltimore before the Wire came out, and still spend a lot of time down there, as I live just outside the city limits. I frequently have to remind people from outside the area that the Wire is set in Baltimore but Baltimore is not the Wire. it could have been set in any larger city, and specifically in any city built up around blue collar jobs. But in Baltimore, the Wire dealt with a couple specific localized areas that really don't affect most of the city. Loved the show, just don't get too caught up in the location. Man in the High Castle is great. I'm in the second season now and the alternate universe aspect is getting very interesting.

That's one of the things I like about it, you can replace Baltimore with any of a dozen cities I've lived in, and it wouldn't really change anything. A few more years, the city I'm in now will be turning into that. The Barksdale crew especially, could be a family I knew in California. One smart man trying to go legit, one person with the world in his hand too worried about his reputation and appearance to realize he won until after he lost.

Everybody I know is all hooked on that murder pr0n, csi ncis whatever alphabet soup show the networks put out, but this is the only "crime show" that really feels...real to me. There aren't always happy endings and good decisions, and politics and crime, while extremely similar professions, have very different rules to play the game.

Next up is high castle since they just released season 2. Then west world.

I'm thinking about getting the seeso subscription on top to watch the old Saturday night live, when it was still funny and had quality actors.

As much as I don't like paying for movies, it is really nice having the option to rent or buy when what I want to watch isn't available. Beats digging through Netflix for hours and coming up empty at least.

MulletTruck
MulletTruck Reader
12/22/16 10:36 a.m.

I really enjoyed Goliath with Billy Bob, The Pilot for Sneaky Pete was good too, Hope it makes it to full production.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/22/16 10:46 a.m.

In reply to RevRico:

I like that every person in the Wire has something wrong with them. I hate when everyone is perfect and does the right thing all the time.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
1/2/17 4:31 p.m.

I'm about half way through season 4 of the Wire now. I'm sort of sad however. Sad because I know I don't have many more episodes of this awesome show!

I'm just hoping Bubbles doesn't die, and rather turns his life around. Great character! Excellent acting!

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie New Reader
1/2/17 4:46 p.m.
Mazdax605 wrote: I'm about half way through season 4 of the Wire now. I'm sort of sad however. Sad because I know I don't have many more episodes of this awesome show! I'm just hoping Bubbles doesn't die, and rather turns his life around. Great character! Excellent acting!

Of the entire cast, I liked Bubbles and Omar the most.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
1/2/17 5:08 p.m.

Westworld (HBO, but on Amazon) is mind-blowingly awesome.

Mr Robot is really good.

The rest have mostly been covered... but you get a lot of good free or reasonably priced rental movies too - they have everything. You can watch it once or usually buy it for 2x that number.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/2/17 5:23 p.m.

My wife thought it was funny I worried about Bubbles like he was family.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
1/2/17 7:19 p.m.
Wall-e wrote: My wife thought it was funny I worried about Bubbles like he was family.

Exactly, Wall-E. I want him to get better as if he were my brother or someone really close to me

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/2/17 8:46 p.m.

The Good Wife and Sons of Anarchy are available if you didn't see them the first time, both excellent.

If you liked The West Wing, you might also like "The Newsroom" by Aaron Sorkin.

If The Tick catches on, it might be worth checking out.

Pen & Teller Bullsh*t is awesome, very enlightening and entertaining.

Band of Brothers is 110% worth it if you like WWII stuff. It's a miniseries from HBO.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/8/17 7:55 p.m.

Dragging this thread back because I'm just finishing up the first season of the Americans.

I suspected it would be good, but never got around to it, because I've been stuck on all the low budget horror films available. Not sure what I was wasting my time for, it's awesome. I'm pretty much convinced fx is the only network making shows worth watching anymore, and this one is more support to that theory.

I desperately want to get caught up so I can catch the current season as it unfolds.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
3/8/17 7:59 p.m.

I've been enjoying The Expanse. It's obviously lower budget compared to blockbuster sci-fi movies but it does have some really interesting ideas and it manages to be hard sci-fi without the mystical stuff they shoved into battestar galactica. It has its share of marginal writing and acting but overall it's enjoyable.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
3/8/17 8:22 p.m.

My wife and I have been enjoying defiance. Thats as far as we've gotten, other than the grand tour.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
3/19/17 11:21 p.m.

Just finished The Wire. Wow, what a great show. I'm sad that it's over. Excellent writing! Glad to see Bubbles turn his life around. Sorry to see Omar killed. Any other shows like this, that I can start watching?

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
3/20/17 5:03 a.m.

In reply to Mazdax605:

David Simon was the writter, etc of The Wire. Here are his other works but The Wire is clearly his best work.

Another HBO show that only ran 3 seasons was The Newsroom.
An inside look at cable news with an attempt to be realistic wrapping it around genuine current events.
Trailer
Jeff Daniels is the main character and I think he does it very well.

Or, just watch for character Sloane Sabbath like I did.

The show becomes a bit soft with a heavy romantic comedy story line but the combination of new and "current events" wrapped with romantic comedy might give you a show to watch with your wife and you each latch onto different elements.

failboat
failboat UberDork
3/20/17 1:50 p.m.
Flight Service wrote: Goliath is supposed to be Billy Bob Thortons best work ever.

Just finished this. IMO it was pretty good, not great.

We REALLLLY liked Thorton in Fargo Season 1 but if you want that streaming for free, you need Hulu. Fargo is hands down one of the best shows I have ever seen. Season 3 is starting up next month on FX so there is a good chance you can catch the previous seasons replaying in the next few weeks.

PeterAK
PeterAK Dork
3/20/17 3:40 p.m.

If you have kids-- Tumbleleaf is an Amazon original and it's great. My 4 and 6 year olds love it, and I think it's some of the best kids programming I've seen. The Stinky & Dirty show is another Amazon original and is fun too.

We bought to Fire's for the kids for traveling. At $50 each, they are a bargain. You can have 25 shows Prime shows downloaded at any time, so I work with the kids to choose 12 each. That includes movies--when we went on a long flight they each had two movies and ten show episodes to keep them occupied. Super good deal.

jde
jde HalfDork
4/5/17 10:42 a.m.

Patriot is an interesting Prime show. You don't really have much reason to like the lead character, and he's his own worst enemy, but it's pretty good dark comedy.

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
4/5/17 10:49 a.m.

Not jack to a different provider but if you want a modern day spiritual successor to the Twilight Zone, Black Mirror on Netflix is, IMHO, the best series I have ever watched.

failboat
failboat UberDork
4/5/17 11:12 a.m.

I will piggyback on your threadjack and also point out that Hulu is currently offering a 30 day free trial. At least that is an ad that popped up on my Roku box.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9mzrgIHdB7Ep9yJiExgDxsedA18TScdynYRJnhwMoEXmUhatoQ6ydo4hXD0YN8PZ