1 2 3 4 ... 6
mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/19/18 8:43 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

The boat is the AM 38, which sounds like a 38 foot hull (and looks like it) but they mention that it's a test boat for the AC75. Are the cup hulls 75 feet? This boat looks mind blowing, but boat that's twice that size on foils? 

The AC75 cats, which were from 2013, are 75 feet long on the waterline; 86 feet long overall. SOmething like a 15 foot draft and a 45 foot beam.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
12/19/18 8:51 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

Right, but the video refers to the AM38 as a mule and a mini AC75. 

Just looked it up. 75 foot foiling monohuls is the rule for 2021. These are going to be cool. 

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
12/19/18 10:33 a.m.

Paul can have first right of refusal.  If he doesn't want it, mtn, you're up next.  Pick up only in NW AR.  It is real fun to sail it.  I took it out at Texas City a few times.  Needs some maintenance and I have too many projects now.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/19/18 10:51 a.m.
Dr. Hess said:

Paul can have first right of refusal.  If he doesn't want it, mtn, you're up next.  Pick up only in NW AR.  It is real fun to sail it.  I took it out at Texas City a few times.  Needs some maintenance and I have too many projects now.

Anddd with that I'm probably out, unless work sends me to Little Rock anytime soon (Which I realize is not close to NW AR, but close enough for me to make it work). And that could happen.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
12/19/18 11:07 a.m.

If Paul doesn't want it, it's not going anywhere.  So... No Rush.

white_fly
white_fly HalfDork
12/19/18 10:26 p.m.

I think the America's Cup has evolved into one of the best spectacles we've created as species. The battle in 2013 was possibly one of the greatest sporting matches of all time.

I saw nothing wrong with the foiling cats, but I like the idea of monohulls, if only to change it up. This isn't F1. These are outrageously expensive experiments done at the whim of some very wealthy, very enthusiastic gentlemen. They're not representing sailboat manufacturers and have no obligation of relevance to the rest of the sailing world. If they want to specify Optimists made of solid gold, they can do it. I am thankful for the show they put on and will be watching in 2021.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/20/18 12:40 a.m.

I much prefer the Volvo Ocean Racers over the AC boats. The AC boats never see bad weather, congested sea lanes, and sick crews. VOR sees all that and more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xne1hOLTHcU

Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
12/21/18 7:20 p.m.

I surfed through channels and came across the americas cup which I had not seen since the monohulls.  And was confronted with these goldern SPACESHIPS that were freaking LEVITATING and spent the next several hours youtubing to get caught up. I bet the look on my face when I saw a so called boat flying  both hulls was as you would see on a witness to a starship landing...

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
1/1/19 2:49 p.m.

I wish I got to see this giant on the water in back in 2010

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/30/19 12:08 p.m.

So an update...

Just saw that the Dutch has decided to enter the 2021 Americas Cup.  Which is nice to see more.  Wonder if someone is figuring out that the monohull foil ship is just cheaper enough to go for it or not...

And saw a recent report that the NYYC entry is doing winter development in Pensecola.  

But seeing that there's a "Super Foil" series in Australia, and it incudes a lot of Kiwis racing, I'm going to bet (for now) that the trophy will remain in that part of the world.  Just watch some of these races- the teams are really learning how to balance a boat on a non powered basis- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_nrbAAGHb1O9MZKFsr7W_Q  

The racing is really amazing.  And once they all figure out how to keep them ballanced on the foils the entire race, wow. 

ronholm
ronholm Dork
1/31/19 12:13 a.m.
alfadriver said:

The racing is really amazing.  And once they all figure out how to keep them ballanced on the foils the entire race, wow. 

It might almost be as good as foiling wing powered cats  (which tack and gybe without landing.)....   devil

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/4/19 12:47 a.m.

Was rolling through Instagram today and found out one of my college gearhead buddies is going to be joining Team USA in the coming months. 

For reference, I went to Maine Maritime Academy for college, so this makes the world a lot smaller for this. 

Said buddy has been competiting in Chicago and NYC Match race series and is a damn good sailor. 

I love sailing, been a while since I have, but I love it. 

Excited to watch his updates, will cross post any decent content he posts that I can.  

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
2/4/19 8:49 a.m.

In reply to spacecadet :

I sailed (deep sea) with many Mainiacs. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
9/17/19 7:43 a.m.

The New York Yacht Club launched their AC75, recently- posted on the tube of U's yesterday- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4QAdota91Q

Man, that thing looks good.

On a side note, the guy in the front of the crowd sure looks like Roger Penske.  Which, apparently it is- https://www.windcheckmagazine.com/article/the-captain-and-the-cup-an-interview-with-roger-penske-new-york-yacht-club-american-magic-team-principal/ as he's Amercian Magic's team principle!  Does the guy ever sleep?

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/17/19 8:03 a.m.

Not America's cup, but my cousins just bought a Beneteau... 35 or 40? with the intention of taking it on the Mac in a few years. Hopefully I'll be able to get out with them next summer on the beer can races.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/17/19 8:06 a.m.

In reply to spacecadet :

How did I miss that you went to Maine Maritime?  Mad props!  

I knew I liked you when we met.  I didn't realize how much.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/17/19 8:27 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

Do it.  You'll either love it or hate it.  For me, it is love.  I have done multiple Mac Races.  It is a real test.  I recommend you personally get a whole season of beer can races in before joining for a Mac.  It is not a great place for a rookie.  

However, the beer can races are an excellent place for a rookie.  I give this analogy to car racing...  

If you were willing to be pit crew for a race car, and you were willing to do it for free, most racer would be glad to have you, even if that meant you started with just making lunch or being a "go-fer" at the track.  Although, after a few races and you getting a greater understanding, your phone would be ringing and they would be begging you to come back next weekend.  

Similar on racing sailboats.  At the beer can racing level, no one is getting paid and on a 35 ft boat you need 7-8 people on the boat.  As you can imagine, to get 7-8 people there on the weekend you are often 1 person short so the ability to be able to commit is important.  Of this crew of 8, we can simplistically say that the boat requires 3 people driving at all time. That is one on the head sail, on on the mail sail, and one on the helm.  Though, when you tack, or change sails or raise a spinnaker you need additional crew.  For this crew, unlike car racing where the crew stays behind the wall, in this case, that needed crew is actually on the boat too.

All new guys start out as "point and shoot" guys.  Someone will point to a red line and tell you to pull it in 3 feet.  As a new guy, you will not know why you are pulling it 3 feet but the important part (and the part that will get you invited back) is that you quickly and effectively execute.  As time continues, you will eventually understand why you are pulling it 3 feet.  It really gets great when you self anticipate the need for the pulling of 3 feet.  

My favorite part of sailboat racing is that it is an adult team sport, and there are not that many of them.  Certainly not many where you place your actual safety in the hands of the other members.  A big sailboat is a genuinely dangerous place.  People get hurt.  People get killed.  We joke aboard our boat that the reason no one can get paid is that then OSHA would be involved.  OMG, there is no way you could race a sail boat if OSHA was involved.  The bonds that I have created with the regular crew I race/raced with are incredible.  

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/17/19 9:40 a.m.

Yeah, I've been sailing with them on their Cat (Nacra something) and a Flying Scot (I think, if not a Flying Scot, something similar). And they just sailed their dads Tartan 30 (for sale if anyone is interested) from Chicago to the UP - they reached the maximum hull speed with just the jib. So they're all accomplished sailors on a variety of crafts, and I've enjoyed being out with them on everything they've taken me on.

But that raises another question that I have. I've been meaning to get an inflatable life jacket for awhile now, this would be used for fishing, general boating, and hopefully sailing with them on Lake Michigan. I'm thinking it needs to be automatic, just in case a boom meets my head. Any advice on brands/styles/etc. on those? 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/17/19 10:01 a.m.

Step #1...if you really get hit hard with the boom, the life jacket will only aid in recovering the body.  

True, but sort of kidding also.  A life jacket is a good thing.  

Mine is West Marine SOSpenders identical to this:

The Mac Races require all competitors to have a harness (for lifting your lifeless body out of the water...really.)  The d-rings on this vest qualifies it as a harness also.  These rings are also the point where you clip-onto the boat via the race required jack lines for bad weather.  

The convenience of West Marine brand is that the re-arming kit is readily available because the canister is one-and done.  

Once on an overnight race from Detroit to Erie, PA (the Trans Erie) I had my vest go off.  It was late, I was tired and I was laying on the deck catching 40 winks.  The huge wave wash-over was such the I got so wet my vest went off.  That taught me the importance of having an extra re-arming CO2 canister on-hand.  

It is true however, I have contact info to my next of kin written on the inside of my vest.  Actual photo taken moments ago of my old manual inflate vest with old contact info of my Mother.  

You mentioned Nacra earlier.  An inflatable PDF is not the right thing for a Nacra.  You get far too wet (or have the potential for getting wet) on a Cat.  the answer there is a real jacket.  Some of the paddling jackets are great because they are made for being used while seated and as such they are less restrictive at the waist line.  

jgrewe
jgrewe Reader
9/19/19 6:27 p.m.

I was talking to a friend whose brother sails professionally. In fact he was the tactician on the world championship winning J/111 last month IIRC.  He was at the launch of the AC75 and has been on it.  Admits to around 50kts in 30kt winds, said it is surreal flying it because it is so quiet.  Water spray feels more like being sandblasted.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
9/21/19 4:46 a.m.

Emirates Team New Zealand sailing yesterday- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elSDgQKvc7I

Maybe I'm too old school, but these boats do look nicer than the catamarans.  

Those Sail GP guys are all closing in on 50 knts, and I think the UK team actually broke it.  I can't even imagine what it's like to skim across the water at that speed.  Especially in those lighter winds.  One tiny mistake and put the yacht partially in the water, and they loose 100m to everyone else.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
9/21/19 7:56 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Good info on the PFDs. My father picked up a Reynolds 33 a month ago and is itching to get it in the water this year. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/21/19 8:37 a.m.

Clutch, what beach is that? Looks like Lake Forest

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/21/19 8:41 a.m.

In reply to clutchsmoke :

I'm not that familiar with the R33 but some googling shows it's a really cool cat. 

Sample video

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/21/19 11:37 a.m.

Wow, reminds me of a Stiletto 30; the 30 caught my eye on Chesapeake Bay when I saw someone water ski behind one.  The cockpit lifts up and the 4' wide pontoons slide together to make an 8ft. wide trailerable package.

1 2 3 4 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DCWhAKJxUUZUvlsr0pUr1eU7wgtznoN7j6qtLnhEtSWCU8jfcsmsdpQoUkHI7SPg