1 2 3
tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
2/18/15 7:25 a.m.

It can carry four kids in comfort, sure, we all know that.

How about a 4x8 sheet, two kitchen cabinets and some boards? I could have easily fir a few more cabinets and a few dozen more sheets. Amazing. It's better than a truck with a cap in some ways.

Untitled

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/18/15 7:49 a.m.

What kind is that?

I'm looking for a Van for alternate sleeping arrangements for bad weather at the track. I want something I can sleep in if the weather turns really nasty (I have a tent and a really nice cot for normal days) I need something that is 81" long so the Cot can fit in.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
2/18/15 7:54 a.m.

It's a pentastar Caravan. I've had it for three years and the alternator is the only failure thus far. Stow and go seats means that they all fold down flat and I get a super usable 4x8 bed worth of interior storage.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
2/18/15 8:01 a.m.

Love mine. Just sold the salvage carcass of the Battle Bus to my nephew who wants to load up his wife, dog, and sleeping bags and go camping in Newfoundland this summer. Replaced it late last week with the Concert Coach - 2012 Town & Country Limited. Hey, what can I say, I'm 50 now - time for an old man's car.

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
2/18/15 8:06 a.m.
bmw88rider wrote: What kind is that? I'm looking for a Van for alternate sleeping arrangements for bad weather at the track. I want something I can sleep in if the weather turns really nasty (I have a tent and a really nice cot for normal days) I need something that is 81" long so the Cot can fit in.

I sleep in my '06 Kia Sedona at the race track all the time. It makes a great hotel room.

It also makes a great furniture hauler, box hauler, cargo hauler, kid hauler. Literally today, I'm waiting for a dealer to call me back to finalize a deal to buy a huge mama SUV to "replace" the van as my wife's DD. However, at least for now, I still plan to keep the minivan and keep whipping on it.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 SuperDork
2/18/15 8:09 a.m.

Ode to a minivan

Soccer moms abuse you

Children in the back often rue you

And lesser men never choose you

Humble minivan.

But, real men know your utility

They never doubt your ability

while those others hold towards you hostility

Humble minivan.

You can haul the whole crew

Speed traps you move silently through

Praise you is all I can do

Humble minivan.

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
2/18/15 8:19 a.m.

What vans get the best MPG relative to purchase cost?

Older 5spd Carvan?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
2/18/15 8:38 a.m.

The "humble" minivan is a superior concept that doesn't sell well to status-seeking materialists. I've enjoyed all 120,000 miles in my 2005 Mazda MPV ES, and am not pleased that a worthy successor is unavailable in today's new car market.

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
2/18/15 8:46 a.m.
PHeller wrote: What vans get the best MPG relative to purchase cost? Older 5spd Carvan?

I'd have to say Mazda 5. For a bigger van, maybe the Honda?

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
2/18/15 8:58 a.m.

I picked up a 4'x8' sheet of masonite the other day in my E-150. No folding of seats, just put it in from the rear. That's how I roll.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
2/18/15 9:00 a.m.
T.J. wrote: I picked up a 4'x8' sheet of masonite the other day in my E-150. No folding of seats, just put it in from the rear. That's how I roll.

Yeah, can you get 30 mpg on the highway with that E150? How about 23-24 around town?

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
2/18/15 9:11 a.m.

No the mileage sucks. I really only posted to make my "put it in the rear" joke.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
2/18/15 9:15 a.m.
T.J. wrote: No the mileage sucks. I really only posted to make my "put it in the rear" joke.

Oh, well you ruined it, you said "put it in -from- the rear", that's not nearly the same thing.

wae
wae HalfDork
2/18/15 9:22 a.m.

It seems like in order to be trendy and popular, a vehicle has to be sub-par in some way, doesn't it? I have a hard time understanding the stigma against a minivan from people that would much rather have a cute-ute.

I do prefer the full size van, though. Yeah, the mileage is much worse and it only has the doors on the one side... but it is so utilitarian while simultaneously being so comfortable...

chrispy
chrispy HalfDork
2/18/15 10:08 a.m.

We've put nearly 160k on our 2003 MPV and this year has been the most maintenance intensive so far. It's been used hard for the past 11 years and is beginning to wear out. It works remarkably well as a truck and can take 7 people out to dinner when those duties are done. I agree with 1988RedT2 in that it'll be hard to find a replacement. So far the Flex is looking pretty good, outside of another minivan.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
2/18/15 10:09 a.m.

Even my 33 YO daughter who said she would never drive a minivan admitted she missed her Honda Odyssey.

My wife went out and found a really clean Toyota van that is daughter is supposed to end up with whenever she can dump the Edge she got.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
2/18/15 11:15 a.m.
Klayfish wrote:
PHeller wrote: What vans get the best MPG relative to purchase cost? Older 5spd Carvan?

If MPG is the biggest issue, the 5 has no equal, but it's a very small van. I think you have to go back to the 80's to get a 5-speed Caravan, and I can tell you from experience that they are painfully slow.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
2/18/15 11:19 a.m.
Klayfish wrote:

Loving my 2014 Grand Caravan so far. Was a little disappointed that it only returned 23mpg on my trip to Miami and back, but I was going 80mph, (and over) and had to deal with city traffic once I got there. My disappointment was gone when I traveled up A1A (45-60mph) to see the folks recently and the van returned 29.8 mpg (according to the on-board puter) I had it at 32mpg for about 80 miles, but the wind must have been at my back.

I also surprised (and probably humiliated) a brodozer in his 4x4 full-size Ram who thought he was going to outrun me merging onto the highway. Smoked him......in my minivan--- that was much more fun than it should have been!

Yes, I love my humble minivan.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
2/18/15 11:43 a.m.

In reply to moparman76_69:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQnGLHOYnck

On its maiden voyage home from the dealer the new-to-us Concert Coach stopped off to inhale a load of suburban goodness at IKEA.

I need to take more pics, but it basically started snowing as soon as I put it in the garage, and since it's all freshly detailed and stuffs, I've refused to take it out for the last week.

Pbw
Pbw New Reader
2/18/15 8:57 p.m.

I hauled home a full size la-z-boy chair, by just folding the third row down. Still hauled me and two kids (them in the middle row). Wish these things could tow more, 08 Sedona

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
2/18/15 9:22 p.m.

I never thought I'd want a minivan.

Damn you all.

Can I make one handle? With forced induction? Im currently a wagon guy, but may convert because of y'all.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad Dork
2/18/15 11:18 p.m.

Had a 2000 grand caravan. It was awesome. Best road trip car evar!

Last night my 60+ stepmother asked me what car to get (silly list that included uber-dependability, high seat height, huge cargo, cheap buy in, and good power and MPGs).

When I suggested minivan she looked utterly offended and dismissed it out of hand. Some people......

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
2/19/15 6:36 a.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: I never thought I'd want a minivan. Damn you all. Can I make one handle? With forced induction? Im currently a wagon guy, but may convert because of y'all.

To some degree, I'm sure you could make it handle. But it would probably take a whole lot of cash and ruin the ride quality. To me, a minivan is what it is, I don't expect it to handle well. As for forced induction, again I'm sure you could and I'm sure it's been done many times. My '06 Sedona in stock form can melt its' front tires off the line just fine.

I suspect the Mazda5 will be easier to make handle, as it handles well right out of the box. But it's smaller than most, so you give up a little of the room.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/19/15 6:51 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: It's a pentastar Caravan. I've had it for three years and the alternator is the only failure thus far. Stow and go seats means that they all fold down flat and I get a super usable 4x8 bed worth of interior storage.

Stow-n-Go is why I bought mine. Back in 2008 or '09 I was with my ex-g/f and friends at the New York auto show. Of all the cars there, I probably spent the most time crawling all over the Chrysler T&C that was buried deep in the back of their display area.

I tried camping in mine once, but with just foam for a bed. Remembering my old full-sized conversion van, it felt really cramped. I need to try some sort of cot thing so I can have some under-bed storage.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
2/19/15 7:06 a.m.
Ian F wrote:
tuna55 wrote: It's a pentastar Caravan. I've had it for three years and the alternator is the only failure thus far. Stow and go seats means that they all fold down flat and I get a super usable 4x8 bed worth of interior storage.
Stow-n-Go is why I bought mine. Back in 2008 or '09 I was with my ex-g/f and friends at the New York auto show. Of all the cars there, I probably spent the most time crawling all over the Chrysler T&C that was buried deep in the back of their display area. I tried camping in mine once, but with just foam for a bed. Remembering my old full-sized conversion van, it felt really cramped. I need to try some sort of cot thing so I can have some under-bed storage.

Dude, it's eight feet long back there, it's longer than my actual bed. It was cramped sleeping in the back of the PT Cruiser, the van is roomy!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FFfprXWmbRsRyJ5LnSX0nlqHUA9EDXSlm05gpQyn48kiWQCyPsPELXBTl8ldE2Vl