z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
10/4/10 9:06 p.m.

Like the title states, just picked up my HTC EVO yesterday. Wondering what all apps you guys use/like/etc.

First thing, what's the best browser? The stock one seems quick and all, but no favroites/tabs/etc.

3Door4G
3Door4G Reader
10/4/10 9:51 p.m.

Advanced Task Killer is a great battery saver.

I also love my Sudoku app. As for a browser... I've still stuck with my stock one.

blizazer
blizazer New Reader
10/5/10 7:00 a.m.

Download Torque and get the $30 ebay bluetooth obd2 adapter. Its the cheapest and coolest scan tool / gmeter / datalogger / aux gauge pack you can buy.

Brotus7
Brotus7 Reader
10/5/10 7:34 a.m.

I'm going to pick one of these up this week or next. How good is the battery life?

I was looking at the droid incredible (I get a massive discount from work :D )

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones Reader
10/5/10 8:42 a.m.

I have the mytouch 3g, but run a few android apps

• craigs notifier. Set what & where your looking for & it updates every few minutes.

• google apps: Maps, sky maps, etc

• pandora, Paypal & ebay have some decent apps if thats your thing

Kendall

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/5/10 8:59 a.m.

K-9 Mail as a replacement email client. Much better than the built-in one.

Opera Mini isn't a bad browser to have as a 'secondary' browser - I still use both.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/5/10 10:02 a.m.

download Angry Birds. Its addictively fun. You slingshot birds in an attempt to kill pigs.

I have tried a few of the credit card apps and they're fair, but free. Its nice to know when someone shows up to buy something I have advertised on CL that I can take a card.

Advanced Task Killer is a must. Most apps run automatically in the background. About every hour, click the ATK icon, then click kill, and you're done. Takes three seconds, but drastically helps battery life.

My Droid X will last the whole day if I'm not overdoing it. If I use it for work, I have to recharge mid-day. I'm going to get on Ebay and order one of those desk docks with a spare battery charger.

So far, integration has been ridiculously easy. It does all the work for me. Sync your current phone with google, then when you turn on the droid, it automatically dowloads your entire contacts list in a few seconds.

Matt B
Matt B HalfDork
10/5/10 10:24 a.m.
blizazer wrote: Download Torque and get the $30 ebay bluetooth obd2 adapter. Its the cheapest and coolest scan tool / gmeter / datalogger / aux gauge pack you can buy.

This sounds awesome. Thank you sir. Now going to peruse ebay . . .

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/5/10 12:33 p.m.

Texts From Last Night - the funniest app you'll ever use while crapping.

CraigsNotifier - best app for hunting items on Craig's List. It will scan for items you specify every 15 minutes, or whatever interval you set.

Listen - Google's podcast app. Subscribe to Adam Corolla's podcast and laugh while you listen at the gym.

Pandora - have new music fed to you.

Handcent - best texting app.

3 (or cubed) - best music player.

isyncr - combine this with 3 and you'll never need an iPod. Syncs your songs, ratings, playcount with iTunes. I wish it worked with Winamp but you can't have it all right?

Shazaam - have your phone listen to songs on the radio and it will tell you what artist and what the title of the song is. Then offer to let you buy it on iTunes, Amazon, etc.

Hypnotoad - ALL HAIL THE GLORY OF THE HYPNOTOAD.

Super K.O. boxing - really fun boxing game. A bit like the old school Mike Tyson's punch-out on NES.

Chandroid - Can you triforce?

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Dork
10/5/10 12:43 p.m.
curtis73 wrote: download Angry Birds. Its addictively fun. You slingshot birds in an attempt to kill pigs. I have tried a few of the credit card apps and they're fair, but free. Its nice to know when someone shows up to buy something I have advertised on CL that I can take a card. Advanced Task Killer is a must. Most apps run automatically in the background. About every hour, click the ATK icon, then click kill, and you're done. Takes three seconds, but drastically helps battery life. My Droid X will last the whole day if I'm not overdoing it. If I use it for work, I have to recharge mid-day. I'm going to get on Ebay and order one of those desk docks with a spare battery charger. So far, integration has been ridiculously easy. It does all the work for me. Sync your current phone with google, then when you turn on the droid, it automatically dowloads your entire contacts list in a few seconds.

If you're running Froyo on your Droid X these days, get rid of ATK for awhile.

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
10/5/10 12:52 p.m.
Xceler8x wrote: isyncr - combine this with 3 and you'll never need an iPod. Syncs your songs, ratings, playcount with iTunes. I wish it worked with Winamp but you can't have it all right?

Is there anything that does work with Winamp? Will the music players play MP4 files? All my CD's I've ripped so far have been high bit-rate MP4 files?

I absolutely REFUSE to put iTunes on my computer. I will not do it.

Leadfoot
Leadfoot Dork
10/5/10 1:08 p.m.

Trapster is handy for keeping an eye out for speed traps. It will only work well if a large number of users are reporting current traps. I've used it a bit on my wife's webOS phone. There is an Android version.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/5/10 3:36 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: Is there anything that does work with Winamp? Will the music players play MP4 files? All my CD's I've ripped so far have been high bit-rate MP4 files? I absolutely REFUSE to put iTunes on my computer. I will not do it.

Preach on brutha!

I feel the same way. But I bought a new iPod, before my phone incidentally, and the only player it would sync with was iTunes. i was iFucted. So I installed iTunes and cursed it everyday until I found a program that would automatically add and delete songs from the iTunes database like Winamp did all by itself. I also export the iTunes database to xml and then import that into my Winamp player as I use Winamp and want to have my ratings synced between my iTunes cursed laptop and my music database on my desktop.

Here's a blog review of 3. It's from MP4 nation so I'm thinking that means it plays mp4's.

Hook a brutha up! Ok, ok..here it is.

failboat
failboat New Reader
10/5/10 8:08 p.m.

get the free version of Air Control.

super addictive, great when you have some time to kill.

I also still run the stock browser, it does have bookmarks and tabs. I have to hit the menu button on my phone to bring up those options though (LG Ally)

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Dork
10/5/10 9:29 p.m.
blizazer wrote: Download Torque and get the $30 ebay bluetooth obd2 adapter. Its the cheapest and coolest scan tool / gmeter / datalogger / aux gauge pack you can buy.

Link for the BT adapter?

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
10/5/10 10:48 p.m.

Don't use Advanced Task Killer. ATK doesn't save you battery at all. Having things loaded in memory saves you battery, as what burns it is CPU cycles, and every time you kill a program you just have to reload it. Try using Watchdog instead. When I stopped using ATK, I gained probably half a day of battery life on my Galaxy S.

There was a good article on it in lifehacker maybe a week ago.

Drewsifer
Drewsifer HalfDork
10/6/10 12:21 p.m.

Done and done.

failboat
failboat New Reader
10/8/10 4:38 p.m.

A friend of mine turned me on to ADW.Launcher a few days ago : http://www.appbrain.com/app/org.adw.launcher Its pretty sweet, replaces your default phone menu interface and is very customizable.

ReverendDexter wrote: Don't use Advanced Task Killer. ATK doesn't save you battery at all. Having things loaded in memory *saves* you battery, as what burns it is CPU cycles, and every time you kill a program you just have to reload it. Try using Watchdog instead. When I stopped using ATK, I gained probably half a day of battery life on my Galaxy S. There was a good article on it in lifehacker maybe a week ago.

that might vary by phone. I installed ATK a few days ago, and my battery life is definitely lasting A LOT longer. I have been using my phone more throughout the day to test it. Where I used to have to charge my phone every night, I feel like if I use my phone sparingly I could get the battery to last at least 3 days now.

I have been using ATK primarily to kill the preloaded programs on my phone that i cant seem to delete and never use, as they seem to reboot themselves regularly. I told it not to kill the few that I use all the time such as text messaging.

Travis_K
Travis_K Dork
10/9/10 5:49 a.m.

Is there any map application that will work like the one on the iphone and let you see a satellite map and automatically show your location? It seems like that would be really useful, but it seems like only the iphone will do that. I want to get a smart phone, but I really dont want an iphone if i could get a different one that would do that.

failboat
failboat New Reader
10/9/10 7:12 a.m.

GPS Status, I have this one, its kind of neat. http://www.appbrain.com/app/gps-status-toolbox/com.eclipsim.gpsstatus2

I also have this one thats pretty cool. http://www.appbrain.com/app/gps-site-survey/uk.co.pskillen.android.gpssurvey Obviously its only as accurate as as your signal allows, but it does give you the location of the points you set as well as the degree of accuracy in meters.

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
10/9/10 8:58 a.m.
Travis_K wrote: Is there any map application that will work like the one on the iphone and let you see a satellite map and automatically show your location? It seems like that would be really useful, but it seems like only the iphone will do that. I want to get a smart phone, but I really dont want an iphone if i could get a different one that would do that.

The stock Sprint navigation tool seems to be pretty good. And one of the google programs will give you a static location as well.

I'm really digging this phone.

I just need to get a 32gb MicroSD card, the high capacity Seidio battery and root it so I can get all the preloaded BS off the phone.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
68XmKwBnkKHLoOqqOSkg05NHWpSbtcyXf5NPvcbPiYG9rRx6kXC58GhpkjuB9ilA