slefain
slefain UltraDork
6/2/14 3:10 p.m.

So I spotted this sitting by the curb at my in-laws neighborhood last weekend:

The wheels were full of water, there were ants living in the battery box, and it had been sitting outside for at least two years (I'd seen it before).

So last Saturday me and my oldest son blew it apart, cleaned it, ditched the electronics, and rewired it: My son asked "what is in this metal box?" so I handed him a screwdriver and a hammer and said "I dunno, find out." Happy kid. You can see the aftermath of copper windings on the ground.

A total of about four hours of work and it was rolling again!

It needs a seat (notice my awesome homemade foam sheet replacement) and a once-over with a heat gun to refresh the body color. We already had a 12v battery on hand so it was good to go.

Our youngest son is just big enough to reach the pedal and say "RIDE!" so I tossed in a 6v battery and let him try it. Unfortunately he isn't picking up on the whole "steering" thing so I have to walk beside him and input course corrections. On the plus side, I'm getting exercise.

This is the third free battery powered ride-on I've found. I'm getting addicted to finding & fixing these things. Next I want one of those Razor electric dirt bikes or quads, or even a scooter.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/2/14 11:01 p.m.

I saw a JEEP in the trash a few hours ago. I thought of this:

Psychobilly Freakout!

edizzle89
edizzle89 Reader
6/3/14 6:35 a.m.

nice! i got a free one from my mom's friend that didnt work anymore. the original power wheels 6v battery didnt work so we threw in a $30 12v motorcycle battery and it took off. it may be a little much for my 2.5 year old but shes gotta start somewhere lol

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UltraDork
6/3/14 6:47 a.m.

I trash picked one exactly like that for my son years ago. It was nearly brand new, and was out at the curb with the battery charger. The only thing wrong with it was the on / off switch.

He got about 3 years worth of play out of it before the battery failed, and by then he had out grown it any way. I put it out on the curb with a sign that said works/needs a battery / free! But no one took before trash day

slefain
slefain UltraDork
6/3/14 8:43 a.m.
HappyAndy wrote: He got about 3 years worth of play out of it before the battery failed, and by then he had out grown it any way. I put it out on the curb with a sign that said works/needs a battery / free! But no one took before trash day

That's a shame that nobody wanted it. I'll probably freecycle it one day unless I pick up something nicer for free. Heck, there may be money to be made flipping these things.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/3/14 9:25 a.m.

I need to fix my son's. It's only one wheel drive now for some reason. It's hard to separate the body from the "chassis" to get at the go pedal because it's screwed and snapped together.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese UltraDork
6/3/14 9:52 a.m.

I can't find free ones. All I find are broken and people still want money for them.

slefain
slefain UltraDork
6/3/14 10:09 a.m.
Derick Freese wrote: I can't find free ones. All I find are broken and people still want money for them.

Is there a rich part of town? Cruise through there on trash day morning. Oh, and near bad parts of town with lots of rental houses at the end of the month. I refuse to take anything from an eviction though.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese UltraDork
6/3/14 11:39 a.m.

I cruise around all the time, and I dumpster dive as well. I might post on the free boards to see if anyone is getting ready to toss one out.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/3/14 11:44 a.m.

I still have my daughter's New Beetle in the shed - "ran when parked".

If you were closer if give it to you!

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/3/14 12:02 p.m.

My son has the following riding pattern: get on, hit gas, ride straight into bush/tree/hedge/fence, yell for dad, repeat. Please, dear God, learn to steer!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bTqCAwqZ7bDvfegI03fpQV4vwPZSSzY87GBZ0huGPvz9CrNGxqzdinMdI1mVko0i