1 2
fritzsch
fritzsch Dork
4/10/14 9:46 a.m.

I am turning 21 in two weeks, and my family keeps bugging me about what I want for my birthday.

I don't care much for dressing nicely with shoes and tucked in shirts, don't wear watches, wouldn't really carry a knife around, and I like cheap booze. I don't like smartphones or ebooks. I have a good amount of hand tools, and no place to put anything larger. I am sort of at a loss.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
4/10/14 9:48 a.m.

Ya like hookers?

Define cheap booze.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
4/10/14 9:59 a.m.

You said a lot about what you don't do and little about what you do. Gift card for your favorite place to spend money?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
4/10/14 10:00 a.m.
Basil Exposition wrote: You said a lot about what you don't do and little about what you do. Gift card for your favorite place to spend money?

+1

What do you do with your free time?

fritzsch
fritzsch Dork
4/10/14 10:06 a.m.

In reply to Basil Exposition:

Most of my time is studying
I like the outdoors, hiking, camping etc but until I live somewhere where that is feasible it seems pointless to have gear. I like motorcycles and cars, and love to travel and snowboard.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
4/10/14 10:08 a.m.

how much are they willing to spend on you? Maybe they could send you on a weekend trip somewhere.

4/10/14 10:15 a.m.
fritzsch wrote: In reply to Basil Exposition: Most of my time is studying I like the outdoors, hiking, camping etc but until I live somewhere where that is feasible it seems pointless to have gear. I like motorcycles and cars, and love to travel and snowboard.
  • A good set of new hiking boots or a day pack? Even if there aren't a lot of camping opportunities... you can use those.
  • A weekend pass to the nearest Gondola that still has snow?
  • A new set of "performance eyewear"? I got a pair of good impact resistant, wrap-around, anti-fog, polarized yellow-like-shooters-goggles (blah, blah... insert jargon here) for rock climbing for my birthday last year. It was an unanticipated gift from my BIL. And they are awesome. I wear them for everything from driving to running to shooting.
N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
4/10/14 10:16 a.m.

I always try to find something useful. Something you need for the car or the bike etc.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden SuperDork
4/10/14 10:34 a.m.
Cotton wrote: how much are they willing to spend on you? Maybe they could send you on a weekend trip somewhere.

An airline ticket is a great gift.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UberDork
4/10/14 10:35 a.m.

fritzsch
fritzsch Dork
4/10/14 10:36 a.m.

Good ideas, it has also come to mind I need another pair of work gloves and a pair of riding gloves would be nice too.

fritzsch
fritzsch Dork
4/10/14 10:40 a.m.
DaveEstey wrote:

It would go well with the hookers

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
4/10/14 11:28 a.m.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/10/14 12:22 p.m.

Handgun?

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
4/10/14 12:25 p.m.
bgkast wrote: Handcannon?

FTFY. Come on. Lets take advantage of not having to pay.

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
4/10/14 12:30 p.m.

Still need some parts for the bike?

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
4/10/14 12:30 p.m.

You like cheap booze. That means, you'd probably LOVE a good booze.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
4/10/14 1:44 p.m.
fritzsch wrote: In reply to Basil Exposition: Most of my time is studying I like the outdoors, hiking, camping etc but until I live somewhere where that is feasible it seems pointless to have gear. I like motorcycles and cars, and love to travel and snowboard.

Gift card for college bookstore. Card for gas. Lift tickets for snowboard.

stumpmj
stumpmj Dork
4/10/14 3:36 p.m.

What's wrong with cash? Did we stop giving cash to youngsters?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/10/14 3:47 p.m.
mndsm wrote: You like cheap booze. That means, you'd probably LOVE a good booze.

Or LOTS of cheap booze.

4/10/14 3:51 p.m.
stumpmj wrote: What's wrong with cash? Did we stop giving cash to youngsters?

It lacks any sort of thoughtfulness. A bag of blow and two Asian hookers says "Thinking of you".

Mitchell
Mitchell UltraDork
4/10/14 3:52 p.m.

Red Wing Iron Rangers. They should be good anytime, anywhere shoes.

Or, a weekend in New Orleans/Miami/Key West. What is the Midwestern equivalent? Where do people go to forget what they just spent all of that money on?

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
4/10/14 4:28 p.m.
Mitchell wrote: What is the Midwestern equivalent? Where do people go to forget what they just spent all of that money on?

Put-In-Bay, Lake Erie
This weekend is "The Lighting of the Whiskey Light". A time honored tradition signaling the re-opening of another summer season.

http://www.theroundhousebar.com/

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/10/14 6:01 p.m.

1,000 sq. ft. of plastic, a gallon of Wesson Oil, some friends.

/thread

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/10/14 10:04 p.m.

Why not a weekend at a driving school?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CIq4ptZFPIcqHZBu7r4osnFq8VvEMTIQW6pQCBNHkD1B0qNKkC0MNIAkmePVRyNI