integraguy
integraguy Dork
10/28/10 11:44 a.m.

It's reported in today's issue of ........., that Cadillac is about to add the production of an "A" class sedan at the U.S. factory already building STS and CTS models.

I guess they had to do something to counter the mileage of those Escalades and EXTs. Let's hope it's not another Cimarron.

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
10/28/10 12:04 p.m.

I smell a Cruzillac.......

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
10/28/10 12:07 p.m.

A Cadillac version of the Solstice/Sky would be the answer. Still RWD like the whole current Cadillac line-up but a vehicle that could be "upcharged" for its unique-ness. I think Caddy killed the Corvette-like convertable which would leave this opening to compete with MBenz, etc.

The Cadillac website shows a future car called the XTS. It coments that it is a luxury sedan...built for efficiency, luxury and connectivity. I bet it is a trated-up Malibu. Could be fwd, and aimed to compete with Lexus ES by adding better leather, carpet and electronics to the Malibu.
http://www.cadillac.com/concept-cars/

itsarebuild
itsarebuild Reader
10/28/10 12:28 p.m.

if the concept XTS on the site link is the real thing then i have to say i've seen worse!

I agree it would be nice if it were RWD though

integraguy
integraguy Dork
10/28/10 3:09 p.m.

The XTS is probably Cadillac's take on the Volt. The smaller Caddy will be about the size of a Cruze, but APPARENTLY RWD. The "proposed" car is currently called the ATS (which also happens to be the name of a defunct telecom company as well as a "data transfer company").

Cadillac sells (or until recently sold) a rebodied Saab 93 called the BLS. It wasn't much of a car and did poorly in the Euro markets where it was offered.

Coincidentally, or not, someone in my area has a Cimarron for sale. It's a '86 so it could be a 4 cylinder OR a V6....not curious enough to call the owner to find out, tho.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese HalfDork
10/28/10 3:29 p.m.

I don't think they'll rebadge here. I see them sharing a platform, that would be stupid not to do. If the Delta II (Cruz, Astra) chassis is anywhere near as good as the Delta Chassis (Cobalt, HHR, Astra), then this could be a good car. We know what goodness a Cobalt SS delivers, so if they can do something similar to that or an Astra VXR with more of an emphasis on luxury, I can see it being a pretty decent car.

The CTS is on the Sigma platform, which is about the same size as the Epsilon, but in RWD format. I don't see any real reason for GM to make a FWD Cadillac that's the same size as what they're already making. It doesn't make sense.

I do see that GM has a compact Alpha chassis in the works. Small RWD, that might be the ticket. Maybe we can hope for a smaller Camaro in the future?

EricM
EricM Dork
10/28/10 3:50 p.m.

They really need to mkae a FWD 300 HP V6 with a manual gearbox. Then a nice elderly couple needs to buy it. this nice couple then need to ever so gently drive it into a shallow pond.

they should then sell it to their insurance company and go get another one.

The insurance company can then make the engine and transmission available to me, to bolt up into a Pontiac Fiero.

go Cadillac, go!

gamby
gamby SuperDork
10/28/10 6:39 p.m.
integraguy wrote: Let's hope it's not another Cimarron.

If they had any balls, they call it the Cimarron.

I agree w/ oldsaw, though. Odds seem good it'll be a Cruze w/ different sheetmetal and more sound deadening.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese HalfDork
10/28/10 8:15 p.m.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Alpha_platform

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_ATS

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f12/gms-alpha-platform-what-we-know-92357/

Take what you want from that.

skeze
skeze New Reader
10/28/10 8:52 p.m.

i have a lot of experience with cadillacs and i'd say unless you are only driving new models only 5 thousand miles before trading it in i wouldn't bother with them at all..even the ctsv is a squawkers nightmare...sure they have a lot of cool features ,but so does a kia i say if you are going to buy a car to compete with a mercedes just buy a mercedes if you are in it for a long haul.and if you only need one until the season changes get a cadillac

Derick Freese
Derick Freese HalfDork
10/28/10 10:53 p.m.

Man, I've got to say your posts are hard to follow.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
10/29/10 6:22 p.m.
skeze wrote: i have a lot of experience with cadillacs and i'd say unless you are only driving new models only 5 thousand miles before trading it in i wouldn't bother with them at all..even the ctsv is a squawkers nightmare...sure they have a lot of cool features ,but so does a kia i say if you are going to buy a car to compete with a mercedes just buy a mercedes if you are in it for a long haul.and if you only need one until the season changes get a cadillac

Modern Mercs are just as complex, just as trouble-prone (if not more) and many of them depreciate at an alarming rate.

I thought Caddy had gotten their act together in terms of build quality/issues. Sad that this might not be so.

novaderrik
novaderrik HalfDork
10/29/10 6:42 p.m.
gamby wrote:
skeze wrote: i have a lot of experience with cadillacs and i'd say unless you are only driving new models only 5 thousand miles before trading it in i wouldn't bother with them at all..even the ctsv is a squawkers nightmare...sure they have a lot of cool features ,but so does a kia i say if you are going to buy a car to compete with a mercedes just buy a mercedes if you are in it for a long haul.and if you only need one until the season changes get a cadillac
Modern Mercs are just as complex, just as trouble-prone (if not more) and many of them depreciate at an alarming rate. I thought Caddy had gotten their act together in terms of build quality/issues. Sad that this might not be so.

Cadillacs always get the latest and greatest high tech crap thrown on them. sometime, the technology isn't quite ready for mass production and it causes problems down the road. the engineers learn from the mistakes made on the Cadillacs and fix the tech to make it cheaper and better before putting it into other GM cars and trucks.

people are essentially paying a premium for the privilege of doing real world testing for GM..

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam Dork
10/29/10 6:51 p.m.

Having driven a Cimarron a grand total of 40 feet from a parking space to a service bay, I shudder when the words "Cadillac" and "small car" appear in the same sentence. I know I know, it was an '80s Cavalier, they're all that bad, but still. God damn. The same badge on that thing as the CTS-V! The humanity!

tuna55
tuna55 Dork
10/29/10 7:07 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote: A Cadillac version of the Solstice/Sky would be the answer. Still RWD like the whole current Cadillac line-up but a vehicle that could be "upcharged" for its unique-ness.

Go get hired at GM. Please. I like you. Seriously the best idea for Cadillac ever. Style it right, give it goodies, they could sell it for 37K and make bucketloads.

And then this guy could get one (and me too). I like him too (but I will correct his spelling in my quote).

EricM wrote: They really need to make a FWD 300 HP V6 with a manual gearbox. Then a nice elderly couple needs to buy it. this nice couple then need to ever so gently drive it into a shallow pond. they should then sell it to their insurance company and go get another one. The insurance company can then make the engine and transmission available to me, to bolt up into a Pontiac Fiero. go Cadillac, go!
EricM
EricM Dork
10/29/10 7:28 p.m.

I typed that in a fever! My heart was racing just thinking about it!!! Spelling be damned! there are Fieros to build!

Oh and the Sky/Solstice already had a bunch of GM generic parts, some of them came off of Caddies. I think the Caddie version (4 cyl turbo) would be dead berkeleying sexy

Doc_1
Doc_1 New Reader
10/30/10 12:00 a.m.

Crap in a small can. I love it.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/30/10 8:38 a.m.

with any luck.. Caddy will make a fun to drive little car with power and not too much in the way of "gee wiz" accessories. Remember, not only would this (hopefully) be the sporty caddy (that zigs?) but the entry level model. It would have to be everything the current cadillac is today, but do it on a smaller and cheaper scale.

Our Preferred Partners
CFnDDBybcoVdcpFHcQO7n7plevttgzkP6DsLazKUy3fSt0CGiqOFZAeiwjq7zJxC