1 2 3
KyAllroad
KyAllroad Reader
8/19/14 9:09 a.m.

Mr. Coffee 4 cup machine and esspresso grind Cafe Bustelo. (yellow can)

You coffee snobs confuse me.

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
8/19/14 9:48 a.m.

Indeed. I don't grind my own beans because all the local grocery stores carry bricks of Bustelo for $2.75-$3.50. Saves time and mess, and that's twenty cups of coffee for less than what my wife pays for a single drink at $tarbucks.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
8/19/14 9:52 a.m.

In reply to KyAllroad:

why?

Snob being someone who puts effort into making coffee? I don't think anyone is looking down on how you make it, so I'm not sure how that makes the rest of the group snobs.

You like it your way, I like it mine. And others like it other ways. Some that I may want to try someday.

I can say that I, personally, do not care for the typical way that American restaurants make coffee- too little grounds to water- which makes it quite bitter and with little taste. To me.

But that is just me speaking.

Using a non-drip grind in a drip machine + using a better grade of coffee makes you a coffee nerd just like the rest of us. The fact that you spend so little does not change that.

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
8/19/14 10:09 a.m.

I used a french press for a while, then used an aeropress. The tap on the coffee machine here at work dispenses water at 195 degrees, so that made brewing simple.

Eventually I decided that I needed something quicker, more convenient, and with less mess. I also had moved on to drinking espresso and was dissatisfied with the lack of a real crema on my coffee when I used the aeropress. Crema requires high pressure, which requires an espresso maker. I bought a used Nespresso machine and checked each of those boxes at once.

Now each morning with the press of a button, my office smells like an Italian cafe as I sip my favorite brew. I order the coffee capsules direct from Nespresso (~$0.80 ea. after shipping) or I refill the capsules with Cafe Bustelo when I'm feeling thrifty (~$0.10 per serving).

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
8/19/14 11:08 a.m.

I'm in Portland........ DONE!

but seriously... I typically have 3-4 coffees on hand.. I like using DD as my base coffee, and then I enjoy blending in a coloumbian, or one of the local coffee companies mixtures (Blue Kangaroo's Sellwood Morning).

As far as decaf... Trader Joe's smooth and mellow

4 gently rounded 30cc scoops, ground to medium fine... add 38-40 ounces of water... brew for 4-6 min

If I get the blend right... the flavor is "multi-dimentional"

KyAllroad
KyAllroad Reader
8/19/14 11:45 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver:

My apologies sir, you are indeed correct. I suppose I'm a frugal and lazy coffee nerd.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
8/19/14 11:55 a.m.
KyAllroad wrote: In reply to alfadriver: My apologies sir, you are indeed correct. I suppose I'm a frugal and lazy coffee nerd.

How about more Grassroots. Although that may mean that we have a $0.2014 coffee making challenge.

But if you get your coffee at a store of any type, must include tip money.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
8/19/14 12:02 p.m.

In reply to nderwater:

It would be really cool if we were allowed to have machines at our desk. Alas, either I buy the made coffee, or use the hot water to make it. So I can do a pour over (which I did for quite a few years) or a French Press (which I did for even more) or an AeroPress (which I use now) or some other form that uses provided hot water.

It would be interesting to go through the math how much I pay per cup. While I spend a ton/lb on the beans, I do know it's much cheaper than buying here at work- in the cafeteria- it's $1.05 for the every day stuff, +$2 for Starbucks, $0.65 for a "cassette insert" type... I'm pretty sure that even at $15/lb, 3 scoops per cup, that I'm cheaper than $0.65/cup.

But options are limited.

dculberson
dculberson UberDork
8/19/14 1:42 p.m.

We use a temperature controlled kettle (so it doesn't get too hot!) and a burr grinder and an aeropress to make coffee.. so yes, I would definitely say we are coffee nerds. The funny thing is, I don't regularly drink it any more because it was causing me stress problems but I still really get into making coffee for my wife. I switched to green tea for the most part. Less caffeine = happier dculberson apparently.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
8/19/14 2:49 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: How about more Grassroots. Although that may mean that we have a $0.2014 coffee making challenge. But if you get your coffee at a store of any type, must include tip money.

Don't get me started...

I began with a Bodum... to tough to clean... OXO has a french press with a removable grounds internal base...

Problem here it had plastic base...

So I incorporated the Bodum press part, opened the OXO top a little to allow the Bodum press to fit, and it worked until the rubber seal was too great and my wife broke it trying to remove the grounds....

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
8/19/14 3:09 p.m.

I have a pour-over mug thing that I use at work. Makes great coffee, but only one serving at a time.

I have a Mr. Coffee coffee maker that I use when I remember to set it at night. Makes mediocre coffee, but it is the easy button.

My brother found one of those Italian espresso things at an estate sale, brand new, and bought it. I drank that coffee all last week, and now am on the lookout for one of those. I'll likely only use it on weekends, but it is the best coffee I think I've ever had.

Mitchell
Mitchell UltraDork
8/19/14 3:22 p.m.

I have a Stumptown 0.1 miles from work. This is dangerous.

I just keep thinking of the crossover point between getting a good espresso machine and making my own and buying cappuccinos at $4 a pop. The crossover point is still about 300 cups out when accounting for beans and milk.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
8/19/14 3:24 p.m.
Mitchell wrote: I have a Stumptown 0.1 miles from work. This is dangerous. I just keep thinking of the crossover point between getting a good espresso machine and making my own and buying cappuccinos at $4 a pop. The crossover point is still about 300 cups out when accounting for beans and milk.

You don't need a fancy machine to make an espresso:
http://www.espressozone.com/bialetti-moka-express-stovetop-espresso-maker?gclid=CKWrqJOUoMACFaVZ7AodCAYAMw

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
8/19/14 3:36 p.m.

Please - tell me how you refill those capsules! I have a Nespresso, but haven't used it in a while since I hate contributing any more gunk to our colossal landfill monument to convenience...

nderwater wrote: I used a french press for a while, then used an aeropress. The tap on the coffee machine here at work dispenses water at 195 degrees, so that made brewing simple. Eventually I decided that I needed something quicker, more convenient, and with less mess. I also had moved on to drinking espresso and was dissatisfied with the lack of a real crema on my coffee when I used the aeropress. Crema requires high pressure, which requires an espresso maker. I bought a used Nespresso machine and checked each of those boxes at once. Now each morning with the press of a button, my office smells like an Italian cafe as I sip my favorite brew. I order the coffee capsules direct from Nespresso (~$0.80 ea. after shipping) or I refill the capsules with Cafe Bustelo when I'm feeling thrifty (~$0.10 per serving).
nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
8/19/14 4:09 p.m.
Lesley wrote: Please - tell me how you refill those capsules! I have a Nespresso, but haven't used it in a while since I hate contributing any more gunk to our colossal landfill monument to convenience...

Nespresso capsules are aluminum, so they can be rinsed and recycled instead of thrown away.

To reuse a capsule just peel off the foil, rinse out the grounds, pack with new grounds, then wrap a small foil square over the lid. I can get three uses out of each, no problem. There are tutorial vids online: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=refill+nespresso+capsules

Also, Resealable plastic and metal capsules are sold online.

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
8/19/14 4:13 p.m.
mtn wrote: You don't need a fancy machine to make an espresso: http://www.espressozone.com/bialetti-moka-express-stovetop-espresso-maker?gclid=CKWrqJOUoMACFaVZ7AodCAYAMw

The Moka makes great tasting coffee, but you need pressure to extract a good crema from the grounds.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UberDork
8/19/14 5:14 p.m.

In reply to nderwater:

The crema comes out first in a moka pot, pour it off and keep it warm. Brew coffee as normal and pour the crema back on top.

fromeast2west
fromeast2west Reader
1/21/22 7:34 p.m.

I'm doing some necro on this zombie thread to find out what's new in the world of coffee machines.   Our's just broke and SWMBO is going to get cranky quickly if a replacement isn't on order soon.

We're mostly just drip coffee drinkers.  I'd like something as automatic as possible.  Put beans and water in one side, coffee comes out the other.   The ability to make espresso, hot water for tea and kids drinks, and froth milk, would be nice, but aren't vital.

Ultimately, I'd like to run a water line and rig it with a float valve so I don't even have to fill it... but that's something I've only seen on commercial units out of the current price range.  Oh, price range, .. guess it would be nice to come in around $300.

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/21/22 8:05 p.m.

yep. Full nerd here. The bonavita is simple, but has a bloom setting and makes remarkably good coffee. 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/22/22 8:50 a.m.

I can't reccomend a machine. We have a Bunn at the office that gets the job done. 

I'm a pour over guy.

1/2 cup of Don Pablo's Signature Blend ground coarse. Kettle set to 185. 2 teaspoons of raw sugar and 1/2 & 1/2. That yeilds 24 oz of morning bliss. It's good stuff. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/22/22 9:58 a.m.

I've found that the real problem with these things is that they're a total bitch to clean in a hurry, and if you make a cup of coffee at the end of your shift at the firehouse and then leave it in the machine and go home, I will have a tendency to throw the little motherberkeleyer in the trash after the second or third time that I have to clean up your E36 M3 after you. Of course, I'm kind of an a-hole that way.

Mornings are a busy time at the firehouse. I have E36 M3 to do and I just want to make a cup of coffee.

Wait... I thought I wandered into the Minor Rant thread.

Sorry.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/22/22 10:11 a.m.
fromeast2west said:

I'm doing some necro on this zombie thread to find out what's new in the world of coffee machines.   Our's just broke and SWMBO is going to get cranky quickly if a replacement isn't on order soon.

We're mostly just drip coffee drinkers.  I'd like something as automatic as possible.  Put beans and water in one side, coffee comes out the other.   The ability to make espresso, hot water for tea and kids drinks, and froth milk, would be nice, but aren't vital.

Ultimately, I'd like to run a water line and rig it with a float valve so I don't even have to fill it... but that's something I've only seen on commercial units out of the current price range.  Oh, price range, .. guess it would be nice to come in around $300.

The closest I've come to a "cheap" system like that is a Nespresso unit, where the maker is cheap, but you have to keep buying capsules which ends up being expensive.   The espresso version of a Kuring machine.

If you can expand your budget, I have seen a number of machines that grind and make espresso shots.  Some of which have cold containers for milk to make other drinks.  Pretty cool, but pretty expensive.  We've used similar auto units on vacation, and they really make nice coffee.  If I were to take this path, you can see the units at places like Sur la Table- as they have a good selection and you can sample the output, and then buy it someplace cheaper (maybe).

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/22/22 10:12 a.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

That exact reason is why I've never gotten the same pods for a Nespresso machine.  

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
1/22/22 10:27 a.m.

I am a tad schizophrenic in my coffee habits.

I toggle between French Press, Espresso Maker, and Drip.

All have their place depending on the bean and purpose.  I most often work with the French Press as I enjoy a all varieties.

For branded coffee - Illa and Lavazza are fantastic and generally worth the cost.  

I love the earthy notes of the the African beans like Kenya AA and Ethiopian Peaberry.  

JStrobel80
JStrobel80 New Reader
1/22/22 10:52 a.m.

Ill add something quite a bit different...Moka Pot.

Its where its at if you like potent espresso made in an analog fashion. Its how espresso was made in italy 100 years ago, the original way. 

Hand gring the beans to the desired grind. You can play with the grind size, more corse for more surface area but quicker infusion (less bitter) different flavor profile. Or, much smaller and slightly packed so you create a mega strong slow infused slightly bitter/smoky shot with a decent bit of crema on top. Its a labor of love but its worth it if you like the process. 

Heat water to no more than 208 degrees. 

Put water in bottom part of Moka Pot.

Put ground beans in filter in bottom part, screw together and put on VERY reduced heat. 

Let pressure build until it starts oozing out the top with controled infusion. You dont want the whole shot, just the first 2 thirds otherwise it tasted like Starbucks garbage. 

If you like a little mouth feel to your espresso, this is the way to go. Pour overs are gross to me, flavored water with zero mouth feel. The French Press makes a mediocre cup of generic flavored coffee. If you want volume, the Moka Pot is not the way to go. However, if youre looking for quality, lots of flavor and the process...then try it. Ill never use anything else. 

Someone made me a French Press coffee the other day and I dumped it out after trying it. It was similar to a cup of McDonalds coffee that was trying hard to be good. 

Also, dont ever use tap water. I only make espresso with water that comes out of my Berkey filter. The chemicals in tap water will greatly alter the flavor profile. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZdTZL9fLstZWq3ovDbIMiNUcv81ox2lnxs4XE9qjii2g4DZ4ZZQpHj6pnY04YAD3