pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
5/13/22 1:10 p.m.

Recently bought a house, my first, and I don't like the yard.  It's mostly a bunch of henbit, crab grass, dandelions, and wild onions.  I kind of like the wild onions but none of that other stuff.  I don't want a "traditional" yard of well manicured grass because reasons.  He's what I have in my mind as a perfect solution;

Lay down cardboard for a few weeks in sections to kill off some of the existing growth.  Till that section up afterwards with an electric tiller, adding in some bags of compost and manure.  Lay on a mixture of white clover, creeping thyme, and mint seed of some sort to establish a new yard.  Overseed with same mixture once in a while and water often to get things established.  

Are there any electric tillers worth dealing with?  I would consider buying one but I don't know if they're up to the task at hand.  I don't mind running an extension cord to do this as it's just my yard and I don't love dealing with batteries.  But I like batteries more than small engines!  The soil has some clay content but it's not intense.  

Anyone have feedback on the turf mix I'm thinking of using?  My goal is no mow, no spray, low/no watering once established.  I'm in Kansas so we get real heat and real dry now and then.  Anyone done this in a similar region?  

I have a backyard that has a tree that needs to come out in the next year or so and that's going to be a whole project as well similar to what I want to do around the rest of the house which is why I'm thinking I might as well buy instead of rent a tiller.  I've watched one YouTube video on an electric tiller and it seemed okay-ish?  

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/13/22 1:47 p.m.

Quick thought: Tilling some of the weeds just spreads them, as they'll propagate from tiny bits of roots. Covering to kill may help, but I'd suggest having some of the seed mix already sprouted to plant into the bare areas.

Where are you getting this wonderful sounding seed mixture?

pres589 (djronnebaum)
5/13/22 1:58 p.m.

Cover to kill, then seed, then till?  Is that the order you're suggesting?  If there's a better way to do this without spraying I'm all ears!  I know I'll be fighting this all year long and probably longer just getting less desirable stuff out of the mix.

I was going to roll my own seed mix and let the stuff I'm sewing duke it out. 

Mint: https://www.superseeds.com/products/corsican-mint   <- I might be off here and I'm not in the right zone for this.  

Clover: https://www.outsidepride.com/seed/clover-seed/white-dutch-clover-seed.html

Creeping Thyme: https://www.outsidepride.com/seed/ground-cover-seed/creeping-thyme/creeping-thyme-mother.html

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
5/13/22 2:05 p.m.

I have an old,small corded electric tiller. My daughter has an old,small gass tiller. Don't remember the brand. They seem to be the same except for power source. They have both been fine for light work.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
5/13/22 2:05 p.m.

No input on the tiller, but curious how the mix works out.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/13/22 3:27 p.m.

I was saying cover to kill, germinate clover and stuff in starter pots, till, plant germinated seeds into lawn.
Water often.
I'm of the opinion giving the clover and such a jump start on anything else trying to get established will be helpful. 

pres589 (djronnebaum)
5/13/22 3:40 p.m.

That makes sense.  I should have started this a couple of months ago but that's how it goes sometimes.  So this might be on hold while I keep planning...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lfCruiJsydbYulML5QSgy54rjvqX1rL7gsHfOyRTOAIcsRDZdOOHPdMvIXti4drO