robmillion
robmillion New Reader
1/14/19 6:13 a.m.

help! i need to get a computer with a parallel port. but a USB adapter won't work because it's not for a printer.

i'm a locksmith and i'm gettting some equipment together to reflash and program EEPROMs for ECUs and immobilizers, but i need a parallel port to interface with it. i'd prefer to not have to buy some ancient computer with like 512mb of RAM running Windows 95. if that's the only way then so be it, but i was wondering if there are any modern machines that come with an actual parallel port, or that one could be added to. desktops or laptops are ok, spending huge amounts of money isn't. haha

i don't know a ton about computers so there may be options i'm not aware of. i saw parallel port cards on newegg and amazon, but i'm not sure what i can put those into and have them work. anyone else know?

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/14/19 6:41 a.m.

My guess is a solid "no", but you should be able to get an expansion card with one for a desktop, or maybe even a PCMCIA card for a laptop.

If those standards are even used anymore.

My concern would be, would the kind of software that would work with a parallel-port burner even work with modern OSs?  I remember how "fun" it was trying to make DOS emulators work with non-old peripherals (like sound cards).

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Reader
1/14/19 7:03 a.m.

Many of the cheap Chinese cnc machines you buy on eBay use a parallel port to run the  Mach 1 program

Maybe look up cnc 3020 parallel port and see what comes up

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/14/19 7:12 a.m.
RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/14/19 7:14 a.m.

Lenovo tough books can be outfitted with them. Pricey, but my buddy that does fire alarms got a modern laptop built with parallel and serial ports for programming from work. 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
1/14/19 7:44 a.m.

A lot of “workstation grade” and retail (point of sale) grade machines come with parallel ports still due to equipment requirements. Or at least did until a few years ago, I haven’t checked this year. You can also get PCI express parallel port cards for the same reason. 

What is the software and will it run on a modern version of Windows? Windows 10 does not run 16 bit software - you have to use a virtual machine running “XP Mode” which fortunately comes with Windows 10 pro. 

I do have a couple of very nice several year old workstation grade machines with parallel ports on hand. I use one as my garage computer and it’s quite zippy. Intel i7 quad core processor and 12gb ram. I could set one up with Windows 7 pro for you for a good price ($150 plus shipping?) if you wanted it. HP Z400 is the model. But even if not bought from me there are a bunch of modern machines out there with parallel ports. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/14/19 9:36 a.m.

This:

https://www.amazon.com/Port-Express-Profile-Parallel-Adapter/dp/B001Q7X0Z8

Plus any desktop computer and you should be set for at least a decade.

Edit: Or just +1 for what Dean said cheeky

Nugi
Nugi Reader
1/14/19 10:16 a.m.

In reply to robmillion :

Look up 'Industrial Motherboard'. Many are 5x the price, but have all the legacy features for existing equipment. I use one in my studio for running old ISA cards. 

I will see if there is a better option, but that at least, exists. 

robmillion
robmillion New Reader
1/14/19 10:42 a.m.

Ok thanks everyone! I think I'll probably get a cheap desktop and add the card. 

This is the main part of the email I got from the company, originally I thought I needed a serial port and asked about a USB to serial adapter:

Hi Rob,

The interface is parallel not serial. USB converters of any type will not work. If you wish to use a newer machine you will require one with an ExpressCard slot. You can then acquire an ExpressCard to parallel interface to use with the kit. Our product is designed to run under windows or outside windows in a stand-alone mode from a USB drive or the distribution CD. This is why the parallel interface. It's the last connection option which does not force us to become a "windows only" product with everything support wise that brings. Our interface is simple; any machine with an X86 processor and a parallel connection will work. From the original IBM PC to the latest Intel Multicore I7. We don't care about anything else. Processor speed, memory, hard drive size, OS version, .NET or drivers do not matter. Older machines have that port built in as it was used for printers. You have to add the interface to newer machines or use a docking station. Once the port is there just connect the programming unit.

If you do have any setup questions or issues just contact us for assistance. I hope this answers your questions.

I appreciate all your help and suggestions. I'm not committed to anything yet, so if anyone has any more ideas let me know. Thanks again!!

robmillion
robmillion New Reader
1/14/19 10:46 a.m.

Also, just so you all know, this is the device I'm talking about. It might be something some of you are interested in as well. 

https://www.arlabs.com/

I'm going for the locksmith kit, but there are other automotive ones too.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/14/19 1:30 p.m.

Here's a tip, if it'll run on any version of Windows it'll probably also run on WINE on Linux, easy way to decrease up-front software cost and ongoing maintenance effort. The "standalone mode" also sounds interesting but I don't know what kind of software updates you'd get with that...security-wise it should be a very small target at least, plus the read-only boot mode has some security advantages.

robmillion
robmillion New Reader
1/14/19 5:17 p.m.

that is good to know about linux. i'll ask the guy. it sounds like it should work, since they don't want to be tied down to Windows. thank you!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
W2opGSu84vrRxd4OQsyL7feHP4TpD3phnMPduDP05xW7LgnsXSbndBkHwGI4n9fF