Gimp (Forum Supporter)
Gimp (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/13/22 3:33 p.m.

Over the summer we had a new roof put on the house.  All has been great, no leaks, etc.  Just what you want in a roof.

We have a total of five skylights in our house.  Three are the more traditional, right in the roof, crank them open kind in our converted attic and they are great.

We have two others - one in our master bedroom and one in the master bath - and they are a little different.  They are recessed, non-openable plastic bubble in the roof.  They are more to the side of the house, so they pass through an unfinished area of the attic.

Now that the weather has changed, I'm noticing condensation in the two recessed skylights.  Enough in one that it has damaged the paint/drywall tape.  I'm 100% certain this is not a leak, as we've had some significant rain lately and not had an issue.  We never had condensation issues in the past six years that we've been here.

I have since opened the door to our third floor to even out temperature up there (something I would always do in the past), but I haven't had enough time to know if that was enough of a fix.

The biggest difference between the old roof and the new roof is he new has a ridge vent, which we did not have before.  I do have attic fans (one on a thermostat, the other on a switch), but I'm not sure the proper usage for them.

Is my new ridge vent the issue?  Are there steps I can take, like better insulating the recessed skylights, or other venting, that will help?  Thanks!

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
12/13/22 4:16 p.m.

After talking with Pat and poking around, looks like I need more insulation.  Just a fun little itchy project.

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/13/22 8:59 p.m.

Is it a drywalled funnel passing through the cold attic? If so, you should wrap 6" R-19 F.G. F.F. insulation around it. To hold it in place, wrap duct tape around everything and tape it to itself making sure not to squish the insulation too much.

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
12/13/22 11:03 p.m.
VolvoHeretic said:

Is it a drywalled funnel passing through the cold attic? If so, you should wrap 6" R-19 F.G. F.F. insulation around it. To hold it in place, wrap duct tape around everything and tape it to itself making sure not to squish the insulation too much.

It is. It had R-13 now, and it's not done well. 

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/14/22 12:54 a.m.

I would say that it's too bad there isn't a poly vapor barrier under the drywall if there isn't any already, but I could be wrong in this situation. Add another layer of R-19 over what you have.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XPup8p3cayEec8YZcDxkdLCO4lxqCgb51lkFfkIaiLLabBssUtKTBHFRhHJq3Aqo