1 2
92dxman
92dxman New Reader
7/2/08 8:59 p.m.

There was actually a model called the Big Ruckus which was basically a bigger version of the smaller Ruckus with a 250cc motor. There are ways to tweak the stock 49cc Ruckus such as the cdi (ecu). The 06+ Ruckus have the higher top end and better speed due to a higher redline and better tuned ecu.

Woodyhfd
Woodyhfd GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/2/08 9:03 p.m.

I wasn't talking about swapping in a Big Ruckus engine (too hard to find), but something older. It'd be the GRM way to go.

Ruckus: Looks Cool. Big Ruckus: Looks Stupid. Ruckus w/250 swap: Sleeper.

GY6 150cc swaps are getting pretty common.

MitchellC
MitchellC New Reader
7/3/08 11:56 a.m.

How hard is it to swap a conventional motorcycle engine into a scooter? Yamaha had a lot of aircooled 2-strokes; the RD350 and 400 got most of the press, but they also had a 250 and a few smaller-displacement models.

fatallightning
fatallightning New Reader
7/3/08 12:00 p.m.

ive put a couple hundred miles on a stella, which is a 150cc 2 stroke vespa clone. fun if you dont need to do more then 50.

drc
drc New Reader
7/3/08 11:03 p.m.

yeah i'd be down with a ruckus. or maybe an old honda passport c70

CivicSiRacer
CivicSiRacer New Reader
7/5/08 7:57 a.m.

I too wanted a Ruckus til I saw some of the prices of used ones in the area. Cool little thing with lots of parts aka Honda Civic :)

Woodyhfd
7/5/08 8:42 a.m.
MitchellC wrote: How hard is it to swap a conventional motorcycle engine into a scooter? Yamaha had a lot of aircooled 2-strokes; the RD350 and 400 got most of the press, but they also had a 250 and a few smaller-displacement models.

It's not easy, as the engine / CVT combo also double (triple?) as the rear swing arm, so motorcycle engines are difficult.

Bigger scooter engines swap in a bit easier, usually accompanied by a longer wheelbase.

Used Ruckuses (?) don't depreciate much.

92dxman
92dxman New Reader
7/6/08 6:05 p.m.

Does anybody have any knowledge or experience with the older Honda Aero's from the 80s? I found an 87 for a reasonable price..

Yavuz
Yavuz New Reader
7/6/08 10:19 p.m.

My buddy just picked up an 85 aero... I don't know too much about them but if you check out www.hondaspree.net and take a look in the technical docs, they've got the service manuals for the slightly older Aeros... I don't know how much of it applies to the 87, but its definitely some good stuff.

Woodyhfd
7/6/08 10:24 p.m.
92dxman wrote: Does anybody have any knowledge or experience with the older Honda Aero's from the 80s? I found an 87 for a reasonable price..

http://www.jacksscootershop.com/honda_info.html

CivicSiRacer
CivicSiRacer New Reader
7/7/08 1:38 p.m.

You should see this guy's project. Crazy modifications with lots of updates and pictures.

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2297467

Woodyhfd
7/7/08 7:57 p.m.
CivicSiRacer wrote: You should see this guy's project. Crazy modifications with lots of updates and pictures. http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2297467

Thanks for posting that link! I planned on putting a deposit on a Ruckus tomorrow, specifically with the intention of swapping in a bigger engine. Maybe not THAT big, but I may incorporate some of his ideas.

oldschoolimport
oldschoolimport New Reader
7/7/08 11:19 p.m.
Yavuz wrote:

that brings back memories. I had an 87 elite 50s back in high school. I thought I was bad, coz I could take down every spree in the neighborhood!

fastbmw
fastbmw
7/8/08 12:43 a.m.

These are my skoots....

fastEddie
fastEddie Dork
7/8/08 7:33 a.m.

I thought to be classified a scooter it had to have a "pass thru" in the middle for your legs?

Cool mini bikes though!

GlennS
GlennS HalfDork
7/8/08 10:05 a.m.

the "pass thru" is called a "step thru" making it a "step thru" scooter.

And when you have your step through you gotta through a kit on that : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_kIUSr7-is

I know this video was already posted but it seemed appropriate.

oldschoolimport
oldschoolimport New Reader
7/8/08 1:09 p.m.
fastbmw wrote: These are my skoots....

are you a member of planetminis.com ? they have a decent section dedicated to the zb50.

fastEddie
fastEddie Dork
7/11/08 1:03 p.m.

You guys just had to get me started looking at Ruckuses (Rucki ?) didn't you?!

Some cool photos - http://www.tokyo-parts.co.jp/photogallery/photo.html

Mmmmm...

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
7/11/08 2:16 p.m.

here we go... Japanese are gaga over their custom scooters...

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports New Reader
7/11/08 2:51 p.m.

I had a Yamaha Razz 50 in college.

It had about 1200 miles on it when I got it. The odo. rolled over (9999 miles) while I had it.

Any one else been that far on a scooter? I think that's about 300 hours on the scooter. I've had my fill. Will probably never own another one.

Woodyhfd
7/11/08 9:53 p.m.

I ordered an 09 Ruckus the other day. I shrewdly negotiated a deal that will allow me to pay full MSRP and wait a month for it to come in. I got to choose my color, though.

They are selling out long before they ever arrive at the dealer.

92dxman
92dxman New Reader
7/11/08 11:31 p.m.

What color did you choose? Over on Totalruckus.com, some people on the west coast are claiming its impossible to get a Ruckus at a dealer for less than $2500.

Woodyhfd
7/12/08 6:28 a.m.

Matte Gray Metallic.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ufaXV9oSyfBFu6ki7CpeB4wqcdFHc0UT8uzdqlpZghF6Dapxm88y5SpAQZc1M2FY