1 2 3
92dxman
92dxman Reader
1/14/10 7:53 p.m.

I had an incident occur today where I am seriously considering applying for a permit to carry a firearm. Anybody around here have a permit to conceal? I'd just like to hear some feedback and pros/cons.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
1/14/10 7:56 p.m.

I have held my CCW for 2 years, I carry every day, if you do it get lots of instruction, not what you need to pass the CCW but lots of tactical instruction.

A cell phone is your best weapon BTW

jhaas
jhaas New Reader
1/14/10 8:02 p.m.

yep I got my CC permit. I don't carry much...but when I need too, its legal. So in this regard I can't think of a con.

EricM
EricM Dork
1/14/10 8:10 p.m.

I am in Illinois so No, I don't carry.

Um, I spent 7 years on the Military, I carried everyday. there are some things that can not be undone. I recommend against carrying.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
1/14/10 8:30 p.m.

Yeah, I carry.

daytonaer
daytonaer Reader
1/14/10 8:46 p.m.

Sometimes. Do not like to.

A lot of responsibility, pretty much presents a permanent solution to the confrontation.

Would do about anything to avoid any situation where its recommended to carry but there are some real piles out there you just can't avoid.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/14/10 8:48 p.m.

I don't feel the need to (was in the military and earned Expert Marksman medals in rifle and pistol). I am fortunate enough to live in a low crime area, always have my cell phone, keep the doors locked, and drive a P71. If all else fails I have tire irons. If some idiot wants to pull a gun he can have my wallet, I never carry cash anyways and the cars all have full coverage/comp/collision. That being said, if the idiot was stupid enough to draw while I was in the car with engine running... splat!

I really don't worry about home intruders. A sales dude tried to come the open front door one summer day when we were chilling and letting the house air out and my cat nearly ate him! I have never seen anything bother this little furball and he was ready to start WWIII on this punk! He got extra tuna that night. When he goes we'll have to think about home protection again, the kitten is useless...

abumason
abumason New Reader
1/14/10 8:56 p.m.
EricM wrote: I am in Illinois so No, I don't carry. Um, I spent 7 years on the Military, I carried everyday. there are some things that can not be undone. I recommend against carrying.

I agree with this right here. It's about meeting force with force. You're better off using today's situation as a reminder to stay vigilant and be observant. Many studies have been done on criminals and not surprisingly they all tended to target the same type of individuals.

Certain things can't be undone, and a concealed weapon shouldn't be the source of your confidence. Don't know what happened to you today, and you should elaborate a little so we all know the situation, but if your life isn't on the line, you're probably much better off giving up your wallet or whatever than staring down jail time. Even if you come out the other end a free man and your actions were justified, it's something you won't easily forget.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot New Reader
1/14/10 9:41 p.m.

I've carried legally for 7 or 8 years. So far I have managed to avoid situations where it would make a difference. (knock wood)

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
1/14/10 9:55 p.m.

I took all the classes to carry in Michigan, so I do have the permit, however, I have not been able to buy the heat to pack yet.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
1/14/10 10:24 p.m.

I've had a CC for 22yrs. Honestly... I rarely carry anymore because when I leave my own town I am going to an airport or across state lines... but anytime I have money on me or am buying/selling something where cash will change hands I bring it along.

xd
xd New Reader
1/14/10 11:23 p.m.

I have a CCW for Ohio but never carried unless we were going to an extremely bad part of town with a lot of cash on hand this equated to one time in 4 years. It just felt weird and I hated every minute of it. As funny as it sounds I actually felt less safe with it on me. Since I'm in Denver now I have not even looked into it and probably will not get another one.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
1/15/10 5:59 a.m.

Carrying a gun and having a license to carry a concealed weapon are two different things.

When you're "packin heat" you have the greatest legal liability you can encounter for your actions. An event that makes you wish you were carrying is likely to land you in prison for the rest of your life if you were carrying. And that's only if you actually live through the experience.

The worse thing for most people is when they have a gun with them, they feel bullet proof and 10 feet tall.

Look at your own personality. I mean REALLY look. How often to you flip people the bird, how often do you find yourself wishing you had a gun, have you ever cocked your finger and pretended to shoot someone because they torqued you off. Do you ever do things you regret? Do you ever get angry and act out in the heat of passion? Then do some serious thinking.

One mistake. Just one. And you pretty well ensure you've wrecked your life.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
1/15/10 7:28 a.m.
foxtrapper wrote: Carrying a gun and having a license to carry a concealed weapon are two different things. When you're "packin heat" you have the greatest legal liability you can encounter for your actions. An event that makes you wish you were carrying is likely to land you in prison for the rest of your life if you were carrying. And that's only if you actually live through the experience. The worse thing for most people is when they have a gun with them, they feel bullet proof and 10 feet tall. Look at your own personality. I mean REALLY look. How often to you flip people the bird, how often do you find yourself wishing you had a gun, have you ever cocked your finger and pretended to shoot someone because they torqued you off. Do you ever do things you regret? Do you ever get angry and act out in the heat of passion? Then do some serious thinking. One mistake. Just one. And you pretty well ensure you've wrecked your life.

When you are armed and properly skilled at using it, you have tools that can make a huge difference in the outcome of an altercation. It is your responsibility to make a decision that your life is in unavoidable jeopardy or face the legal consequences. It is not to be taken lightly. Maturity and good decision making are no less important than trigger discipline. I look at it like I look at the tools in my trunk - without them I do not have the option to get myself out of certain unpleasant situations. Given the alternatives I prefer to follow the Boy Scout mantra - be prepared.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
1/15/10 7:45 a.m.

There are a lot of very simplistic answers here.

I drive into major cities and wait for clients in very unsavory areas in my car. Two easy examples for those who know are Small Smiles of Toledo and Dayton, both located in strip malls in very suspect neighborhoods.

I have never come close to using the weapon or even drawing it.

My cell phone is my best defense (as stated)

I get training, including legal liability, regularly.

I was a cop for 16 years.

I do not even think about the weapon except when clients go to hospitals, where my weapon is specifically banned.

My weapon is my last resort.

I would rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

Your circumstances may vary and your daily risk factor should be considered, but it's not only the bad guys who should be armed.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
1/15/10 7:48 a.m.
foxtrapper wrote: Carrying a gun and having a license to carry a concealed weapon are two different things. One mistake. Just one. And you pretty well ensure you've wrecked your life.

Exactly why I don't carry. I have years of martial arts training which I've never used, and it doesn't make a lump in my jacket.

RossD
RossD Dork
1/15/10 7:53 a.m.

You do know that you can carry an exposed weapon in public. I dont recommend it unless you have a good lawyer, because you'll probably have the cops called on you.

pete240z
pete240z Dork
1/15/10 7:57 a.m.

I too live in Illinois and we can't conceal.

I have a customer that is 75 years old in Indiana and conceals his weapon in his trunk. The joke is it will take him 30 minutes to get out and get it.

924guy
924guy Dork
1/15/10 8:31 a.m.

I carried for a long time, I dont anymore, not often anyhow. some really good comments above. I think over the years Ive learned to keep myself out of positions where i felt I needed that extra protection. Its not always possible, but i do think 99% of the time, it is.
carrying is a burden I now try to avoid, not to say i dont keep a weapon in my glove box allot of the time, but I generally dont feel the need to have it with me all the time anymore...

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
1/15/10 8:37 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: When you are armed and properly skilled at using it, you have tools that can make a huge difference in the outcome of an altercation. It is your responsibility to make a decision that your life is in unavoidable jeopardy or face the legal consequences. It is not to be taken lightly. Maturity and good decision making are no less important than trigger discipline. I look at it like I look at the tools in my trunk - without them I do not have the option to get myself out of certain unpleasant situations. Given the alternatives I prefer to follow the Boy Scout mantra - be prepared.

+1. Understanding that once you pull that trigger, you cannot put th bullet back in the gun, and that you NEVER show your firearm unless you are firing it are very good guidelins to follow.

Jeff
Jeff Dork
1/15/10 8:38 a.m.

If you are going to carry, you need to have the correct mindset. You will back off from any confrontation. You will avoid all conflicts. You won't honk your horn when someone cuts you off or flips you the bird. You basically must turn into the 98 pound weakling. You will only draw when you or your loved ones are in life threatening danger. You also need to keep up with training and the law. It's a responsibility not to be taken lightly.

triumph7
triumph7 Reader
1/15/10 8:41 a.m.

I carry. I almost had to use it the second day I carried... but not quite what you think.

I took my dog for a walk at a local park and at mile 6.5 of 8 some deer jumped up and ran from the woods next to the trail but one stood and stared at us. I stood and looked back. that deer started to walk away so we did too. After about 30 feet I hear snorting. I turn to look and the deer snorts again. At this point I have two questions... 1) how many 40 cal hollowpoints does it take to stop a charging deer? and 2) how do you get the park ranger to believe it was self-defense?

Otherwise, I work in a less than great part of town and also occasionally carry a lot of money. XD said he felt weird carrying and you do - at first - but you get used to it.

Cotton
Cotton HalfDork
1/15/10 8:48 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
foxtrapper wrote: Carrying a gun and having a license to carry a concealed weapon are two different things. When you're "packin heat" you have the greatest legal liability you can encounter for your actions. An event that makes you wish you were carrying is likely to land you in prison for the rest of your life if you were carrying. And that's only if you actually live through the experience. The worse thing for most people is when they have a gun with them, they feel bullet proof and 10 feet tall. Look at your own personality. I mean REALLY look. How often to you flip people the bird, how often do you find yourself wishing you had a gun, have you ever cocked your finger and pretended to shoot someone because they torqued you off. Do you ever do things you regret? Do you ever get angry and act out in the heat of passion? Then do some serious thinking. One mistake. Just one. And you pretty well ensure you've wrecked your life.
When you are armed and properly skilled at using it, you have tools that can make a huge difference in the outcome of an altercation. It is your responsibility to make a decision that your life is in unavoidable jeopardy or face the legal consequences. It is not to be taken lightly. Maturity and good decision making are no less important than trigger discipline. I look at it like I look at the tools in my trunk - without them I do not have the option to get myself out of certain unpleasant situations. Given the alternatives I prefer to follow the Boy Scout mantra - be prepared.

Couldn't agree more. I have a permit and carry.

Wayslow
Wayslow Reader
1/15/10 8:54 a.m.
EricM wrote: I am in Illinois so No, I don't carry. Um, I spent 7 years on the Military, I carried everyday. there are some things that can not be undone. I recommend against carrying.

+1

Shooting someone in real life is not like the movies. Even if you were 100% justified and you were in a position where it's sanctioned and expected it'll follow you the rest of your life.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant HalfDork
1/15/10 8:59 a.m.

Many firearms instructors offer a basic "Intro to Guns" course to introduce people to shooting and help them decide whether they even want to own a firearm.

Going further, taking the CHL/CCW class will cost you a bit of money and time, but will give you a closer look at the law in your area and the practical considerations involved in carrying weapons and the use of force. Even if you decide not to get the license, it might be money well spent.

A firearm is a tool. Its impact depends on the person using it. Having it on your person gives you options and incurs responsibilities.

I've seen several situations where I either wished I had been armed or was glad that I was.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0a3cxsTZJujOV9gLoWet0Q35slUdf4HoEwEODT5arofyyOPYMph6WsXDPKqlujPl