1 2
spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
8/9/20 11:25 a.m.

I was laying in bed this morning and just after 8am the whole house starts shaking. Items inside are rattling.  This goes on a lot longer than I thought it would.  Seems there was a 5.1 quake in Sparta, NC.  

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/9/20 11:27 a.m.

Yup. Felt it down in albemarle. Wierd. Don't think I liked it. 

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/9/20 11:37 a.m.

was asleep, didnt feel a thing

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
8/9/20 11:41 a.m.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
8/9/20 11:48 a.m.

I did not feel that today as I am in Michigan. About 5 years ago I was over near Battle Creek Michigan on a friend's Farm are there strange rumbling occurred the swamp outside the log cabin got strange ripples on it and everything kind of shook for about 20 seconds. Turned out to be about a 5.0 EpiCentre 40 miles away from us

I'm not too far away in East TN. Didn't feel a thing, but it seems earthquakes are getting more frequent in the region. I felt one 6-12 months ago. Damn tectonic plates.

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy HalfDork
8/9/20 1:05 p.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) (Forum Supporter) :

I'm not too far away in East TN. Didn't feel a thing, but it seems earthquakes are getting more frequent in the region. I felt one 6-12 months ago. Damn tectonic plates.

I guess everyone is moving out of California. 

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/9/20 1:26 p.m.

My sister is in Cary and she felt it.  Texted me right afterwards asking if I felt it here in Cola.  It looks like I'm about 30 miles further away than she is.  Was in the car driving somewhere, so I didn't feel anything.  Hope y'all get those lawn chairs fixed without having to deal with insurance... laugh

My parents are camping close to the epicenter. Mom said she thought the camper was going to snap the jacks. She also said it lasted a lot longer than she thought it would. 

There have been some reports of people down here on the coast feeling it, but I didn't notice anything. 

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
8/9/20 2:28 p.m.

I'm too far away, but anything over 5.0 is nothing to sneer at. Growing up in CA a small quake was pretty normal. There were a bunch of 4-6 pointers in northern UT a few months ago. People were shook. Ba dum tsss.

My grandma grew up in Arkansas, and always says she'd rather stare down a tornado than feel the ground moving. Count me firmly in the other camp. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/9/20 3:53 p.m.

So...earthquakes are the thing for August,  2020?

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
8/9/20 6:20 p.m.
Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude) said:
She also said it lasted a lot longer than she thought it would. 

That's what surprised me.  This thing went on 15-20 seconds.  I've felt a couple of others and they only lasted 2-3 seconds.  

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/9/20 6:26 p.m.
Appleseed said:

So...earthquakes are the thing for August,  2020?

I hope so, few big ones on the left coast I'm hoping to get to see happen.

KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
8/9/20 6:50 p.m.

Doesn't Oklahoma have something like one a day from (allegedly) the fracking?

EastCoastMojo (Forum Supporter)
EastCoastMojo (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
8/9/20 7:54 p.m.

I felt it in Raleigh. I was on the can and it felt like someone was doing jumping jacks in the living room. Old house, bouncy floors. Anyway, most exciting deuce of the year so far! 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
8/9/20 8:35 p.m.
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) said:

You may be thinking of the New Madrid fault in NW Tennessee.  I think it's one the most active faults in the US.  They have a HUGE earthquake there (end of world, reversing river, draining lake big) in 1811.

There are of course lots of small quakes near fracking areas.

(Oh, and from someone who was in SF for Loma Prieta, and in Northridge for Northridge.... armatures!  cheeky )

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
8/9/20 9:16 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

I was in Simi Valley for the northridge quake. I was really young but I still remember seeing all the collapsed freeway bridges and damaged buildings. Cracked the foundation of my grandparents house in Sylmar.   

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
8/9/20 9:31 p.m.

40 miles east of Raleigh & slept thru it.  Grandson said he felt it.

BenB (Forum Supporter)
BenB (Forum Supporter) Reader
8/10/20 4:09 a.m.

Felt it in Apex, just outside of Raleigh. So, we're not even halfway through August and we've already had an earthquake, a tornado, and a hurricane. I'm getting concerned about what September is going to bring. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/10/20 8:05 a.m.

I'm in Greenville SC, and I have friends who said they felt it. I was sitting there having breakfast with Tunakid #2 getting ready for our bike ride (I think we left around 8:10) and we didn't notice a thing.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/10/20 8:32 a.m.
aircooled said:
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) said:

You may be thinking of the New Madrid fault in NW Tennessee.  I think it's one the most active faults in the US.  They have a HUGE earthquake there (end of world, reversing river, draining lake big) in 1811.

There are of course lots of small quakes near fracking areas.

(Oh, and from someone who was in SF for Loma Prieta, and in Northridge for Northridge.... armatures!  cheeky )

No, Oklahoma too, well at least until they drastically cut down on wastewater wells.......in 2015, Oklahoma had more than 900 earthquakes.

Although it seems stupid for the Geological society to say, "It's not from fracking, it's from waste water wells." Well......................where does the waste water come from.....................it's the waste water from fracking. I'm sure the guy quoted in the story is trying protect some funding or something.

http://www.oudaily.com/news/earthquakes-continue-to-decrease-in-oklahoma-for-third-straight-year/article_00cefc9c-467f-11e9-b984-2bebe425ee8e.html

slefain
slefain PowerDork
8/10/20 8:36 a.m.

North Carolina Earthquake...

(checks 2020 bingo card)

Nope, didn't have that square. I had North Carolina Mudslide. Maybe next week.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/10/20 8:54 a.m.

We've had a few here in Central Indiana. mid 4's to low 5's. I know the Cali folks laugh at that but to a midwesterner that is used to the ground being solid, that's some messed up stuff. The one I remember the most was epicenter 3 miles from my folks house. Woke me up for sure. THis was late 90's? 

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/10/20 9:46 a.m.

Best friend in Charlotte was talking about this all day yesterday. My brother in Raliegh slept through it.

bobzilla said:

We've had a few here in Central Indiana. mid 4's to low 5's. I know the Cali folks laugh at that but to a midwesterner that is used to the ground being solid, that's some messed up stuff. The one I remember the most was epicenter 3 miles from my folks house. Woke me up for sure. THis was late 90's? 

There was one around Vincennes a few years ago. My aunt and uncle had to rebuild there chimney. 

Supposedly I've been in a couple in college in central Illinois, but I never felt it. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/10/20 9:51 a.m.

We had a couple of those a few years ago here in DE.  Definitely didn't feel anything from this one.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EsnIS1rt8fYjxvSZDwpzBc4bIcu9LB8DcLHcHII3OyesgpnBorluBjWtUn1G5ZYF